The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 22, 2003, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Cool

Ok guys. Great information on this site. Need some advise: I am getting ready for my first game as the white hat. Find out it is a TV game here in northwest IN. Any advise you vets can give me on things to do, not to do, and anyting you can think of about the mic for TV.
Thanks for the advise!!!
Old Fri Aug 22, 2003, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Wink

Make absolutely sure that the mike is off when you're done announcing a penalty. Sometimes, the TV folks will control that at least for their broadcast, but not necessarily for the PA.

Oh...and don't scratch yourself in an inappropriate place if the game's on TV
Old Fri Aug 22, 2003, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Except as Bob points out regarding Mic control (and inappropriate scratching), you should really not worry about the fact it's a TV game.

Do your Ref things as you have done in the past and do them without rushing. You don't need us to tell you motherhood things like give good signals away from the players facing the press box, etc..
Just be yourself.
Then if you can, watch the tape later to see if you can pick up anything that needs to be done differently.

One thing I picked up on a TV tape was my position for an extra point try was were I would be for an NCAA game on one TRY play. The remainder of the game I stood where I should have been for a 4 man crew. But, at the time I did not even know I had done that.
good luck and don't worry about it
Old Fri Aug 22, 2003, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

I think you'll pretty much forget about the game bein on TV once you get going. Just enjoy the evening and work as you normally would.
Old Fri Aug 22, 2003, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

As Tom alluded to, SLOW DOWN. There's no need to be in a hurry and you'll be less nervous if you'll slow down. Stop, give crisp clear signals, and clear communication.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Aug 22, 2003, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Just take it slow with your rulings and signals. Establish your own rythm for the ready for play signal. Don't forget prelim signals. That is informative for all and professional looking.

Good luck! You'll do a great job!
Old Sat Aug 23, 2003, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Relax

A game is a game is a game.....even if it's on television.

Concerning the mic...YOU keep control of the on/off. Often times the t.v. production crew will tell you they will turn your mic on and off. Don't trust this to them. Especially if it's a cable crew. Not to mention some "color commentators" think it adds to their knowlege by listening in on referee discussions and huddles.

NEVER give the penalized player's number...just offense or defense, kicking team or receiving team, etc.

As far as slowing down, this is a good tact to take at all times as the white-hat.

And remember to speak clearly.....and loud enough for the mic to pic you up.

Other than that, just have fun and do a good job.

Old Sun Aug 24, 2003, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Forksref
Just take it slow with your rulings and signals. Establish your own rythm for the ready for play signal. Don't forget prelim signals. That is informative for all and professional looking.

Good luck! You'll do a great job!
Always step away from the players toward the pressbox before giving your signals.
Old Mon Aug 25, 2003, 01:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
I would have to agree with what everyone else said. If you can keep control of the mic, do so as it can be turned on at the wrong times. We had a white hat tell some players to knock off the holding and it was picked up on tv due to the cable people controlling it.. There was no flag for holding.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Mon Aug 25, 2003, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Agree with the above comments. The main thing is S-L-O-W down. Think about what your going to say before you say it. Keep any comments with the mike on short and to the point. Also, if your comfortable doing this, if you have an unusual play that you want to explain, you can do it with the mike. Example, just at but before the play clock expires, A calls time out. Everybody sees the flag and people waving there arms. Use the mike to explain it. Keep it simple just like you would explain it to the coach. Bottom line, short and simple.

Have fun and enjoy the game, don't worry about the mike and TV.