The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Give the coach an explaination (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/101830-give-coach-explaination.html)

junruh07 Mon Nov 14, 2016 09:20pm

Give the coach an explaination

I had a situation last season that I have been thinking about as I prepare to the upcoming season.

I was C opposite table in the second half. A1 drove to the basket and traveled with a poorly executed spin move. As he squared up to the basket, there was some contact. My partner at lead and I both blow our whistles at the same time. He signals a foul, and I signal traveling. We get together and determine that the traveling happened before the contact, so I hit my whistle again, signal and point the other way. My question is this: should I have gone across the court to the coach to offer a brief explanation? Some thing like, "coach, I know you don't like it, but the traveling happened just before the foul." Or is that just asking for trouble?

Matt S. Mon Nov 14, 2016 09:27pm

Your partner should explain

Great scenario to share. I'd let your partner (new trail, tableside) lend the coach an ear on the way up the floor... And acknowledge a statement or question if the coach has one.

No need to delay the game and make a scene, IMO.

Nevadaref Mon Nov 14, 2016 09:29pm

Just verbally announce, "Travel was first" when signaling the decision. That way everyone knows and you can get on with the game.

JRutledge Mon Nov 14, 2016 09:32pm

No you do not need to go all the way across the explain a double whistle. Just say you have a travel first and move on. If a coach cannot understand that basic argument, then you will never get them to understand in a longer conversation. Just have a "KISS" attitude about these things.

Peace

SC Official Mon Nov 14, 2016 09:36pm

Don't go out of your way to give a coach an explanation he hasn't requested. If he needs one, he'll ask for it. You'll be over by his bench soon enough, and he can ask then.

Rich Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:00pm

And the phrase "I know you won't like this" - lose it permanently.

crosscountry55 Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 993018)
Don't go out of your way to give a coach an explanation he hasn't requested. If he needs one, he'll ask for it. You'll be over by his bench soon enough, and he can ask then.

Some clinicians refer to this as "breaking into jail." It's a great metaphor and applies here.

Don't volunteer information when you don't have to.

bob jenkins Tue Nov 15, 2016 08:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by junruh07 (Post 993013)
He signals a foul, and I signal traveling.

To add to the above -- neither of you should signal anything other than the closed fist / open hand.

(And, yes, I know it happens.)

Raymond Tue Nov 15, 2016 08:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 993021)
And the phrase "I know you won't like this" - lose it permanently.

I was going to offer the same advice. If you are going to explain something to a coach, keep it brief and factual.

Rich Tue Nov 15, 2016 08:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 993033)
I was going to offer the same advice. If you are going to explain something to a coach, keep it brief and factual.

My problem with the phrase is this:

No matter what you say,he's going to hate it.

Dad Tue Nov 15, 2016 01:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 993015)
Just verbally announce, "Travel was first" when signaling the decision. That way everyone knows and you can get on with the game.

I do this occasionally and it solves absolutely everything.

junruh07 Tue Nov 15, 2016 07:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 993031)
To add to the above -- neither of you should signal anything other than the closed fist / open hand.

(And, yes, I know it happens.)

I know that would have been ideal. The reason I didn't hold off on the signal is because I didn't think the contact was a foul, so I assumed (never assume) that my partner was calling a traveling as well.

Thanks for the advice to cut that phrase out. I can see where that could create issues. My default with coaches is to put blinders on and ignore them. I am trying to work at communicating more in situations where it will be helpful.

Raymond Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by junruh07 (Post 993092)
I know that would have been ideal. The reason I didn't hold off on the signal is because I didn't think the contact was a foul, so I assumed (never assume) that my partner was calling a traveling as well.

Having the discipline to hold off on preliminaries on double whistles is one of those things that separates officials from the crowd.

Quote:

Thanks for the advice to cut that phrase out. I can see where that could create issues. My default with coaches is to put blinders on and ignore them. I am trying to work at communicating more in situations where it will be helpful.

Keep responses short (10 words or less) and factual.

stripes Wed Nov 16, 2016 02:02pm

Quote:

My default with coaches is to put blinders on and ignore them. I am trying to work at communicating more in situations where it will be helpful.

I see this happen all too often from newer officials. Generally, this approach creates more problems than it solves. Coaches hate to be ignored and tend to get louder to be heard. You need to answer legitimate questions, but do not let the coach devolve the conversation or answer statements.

Keep it factual and about the call in question. If the coach tries to change the subject, end the conversation. I will also tell a coach that we are only talking about that play. If he brings up the one last trip or my partner's calls, I emphatically tell him that we are not talking about that play and we have to move on. I also prefer having the conversation during live play (some can't talk and ref, I have found that I can) because live play will have built in conversation enders (whistle, transition, etc.)

stripes Wed Nov 16, 2016 02:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dad (Post 993060)
I do this occasionally and it solves absolutely everything.

In more than 20 years of officiating, I have never heard a phrase that solves everything. There are no "silver bullets." I agree that saying "travel first" is the BEST THING TO DO IN THIS CIRCUMSTANCE, but most of us have worked for an idiot coach who refuses to be reasonable no matter what is presented to him.