The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 15, 2016, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

State Adopted Rules

Any states out there adopting new rules not covered by NFHS, such as restricted arc, shot clock, etc.? It would be interesting to maintain a list of these to see the trends. Our association toyed with a shot clock for a holiday tourney, but became concern the state would balk at this idea. When I played, our holiday tournaments often used these events to try new rules and gauge coach, fan and player feedback.
Old Tue Nov 15, 2016, 10:19pm
Archaic Power Monger

California has a shot clock state wide. 35 seconds for boys, 30 seconds for girls.

We also have the following:

For girls games there is no 10 second count in the backcourt and closely guarded count only on held balls.

These aren't new rules though, they've been in place for a while.
Old Tue Nov 15, 2016, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
California has a shot clock state wide. 35 seconds for boys, 30 seconds for girls.

We also have the following:

For girls games there is no 10 second count in the backcourt and closely guarded count only on held balls.

These aren't new rules though, they've been in place for a while.

When I worked in CA a few years ago, it struck me that these mods were basically just borrowed NCAA rules.

The NCAA shot clock time for men has decreased, and the women now have a 10-second count. Not to mention there is no longer a CG dribble count for the men.

Granted changes take time to trickle down, but do you know if CIF plans to follow suit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Tue Nov 15, 2016, 11:42pm
Archaic Power Monger

I haven't heard one way or another. It'd be nice if they standardized it across genders.
Old Wed Nov 16, 2016, 02:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post

Granted changes take time to trickle down, but do you know if CIF plans to follow suit?
According to the new CIF state rules interpreter, there are no such plans at this time.
Old Wed Nov 16, 2016, 03:11am
Official Forum Member

I've heard from friends in Utah, that they have allowed 2-hand reporting for a couple of years. Their state HS activities entity is in charge of all officiating in the state.
Old Wed Nov 16, 2016, 07:13am
Esteemed Forum Member

Connecticut Only ...

Point to floor for two-point field goal try when shooter has foot touching three point line.
Team members are not allowed to congregate at division line, or on school logo during introductions.
Coaching Box must be marked. If home coach, and/or home management, refuse to designate a coaching box
with tape, the home team will not use a coaching box for that game. However, the visiting team will be
allowed a coaching box. Notify Board Secretary, or Commissioner.
Captains-Head Coaches-Officials pre-game meeting should occur prior to start of game. If the head coach
refuses to attend the meeting, notify Board Secretary, or Commissioner.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Nov 16, 2016, 09:57am
9 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
I've heard from friends in Utah, that they have allowed 2-hand reporting for a couple of years. Their state HS activities entity is in charge of all officiating in the state.
Last year was the first year that Utah allowed 2 hand reporting.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Wed Nov 16, 2016, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Texas:

1. Six-foot coaching box centered on either the first or second seat nearest the division line. (Sub-Varsity and Middle School Coaches Only)

2. Foul Reporting: Clear the players; make eye contact with scorer and start the report while walking.

3. Officials should only switch on shooting fouls and the foul-calling official will go table side. If foul-calling official is already on table side there will be no switch. (2 person)

4. Time-out procedure in both 2-Person & 3-Person during a 30-second time-out, go to the top of the 3-point circle. On a 60-second time-out, go to free-throw lane blocks opposite the bench area. In 3-Person, one official stays at the throw-in spot or at the end-line that free-throws will be taken. In 2-Person put the ball on the floor at throw-in spot or on the free-throw line if free-throws are going to be attempted.

5. Two-handed foul reporting.

6. 3-Person mechanics on new NFHS rule change. Texas will not use the new switch, we will not make a long switch when calling a foul in the backcourt at "Lead". The official that called the foul at "Lead" will clear players to report to the table as we have been doing then go back and become the "Trail" official.
Old Wed Nov 16, 2016, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Stupid, stupid, stupid

GIRLS ONLY-- Boys still have everything the same for everybody (which IMO is much easier than this girls' adaptation).

NFHS Basketball Rule 3-5 Team Member’s Equipment, Apparel
Modify Rule 3-5-3c to the following:
All sleeves/tights shall be the same solid color.
Modify Rule 3-5-4 to the following:
a. Anything worn in the hair (including headbands as shown in Figure “C” below) must be soft and
unadorned but may be any color or multi-colored and do not have to match for all teammates. The 2-inch
maximum width provision for headbands will be waived, and headbands with extensions as shown in
Figure “A” below will be permitted.
b. Protective soft headgear as shown in Figure “B” below will be permitted provided the headgear is not
abrasive, hard, or dangerous to any other player and which is attached in such a way it is highly unlikely it
will come off during play.
c. Bobby pins 2” or less will be allowed.
d. Wristbands may be any color or multi-colored and do not have to match for all teammates, but must be
made of moisture-absorbing material.
e. Silicone and rubber bracelets, rubber bands, bandanas, etc., are illegal as they are not moisture-absorbing
or appropriate for the game of basketball.
NFHS Basketball Rule 3-6 Logo/Trademark/Reference
Modify Rule 3-6-1 to the following:
One visible manufacturer’s logo/trademark/reference or school logo/mascot is permitted on the compression shorts,
arm and leg compression sleeves, and wristbands. Multiple manufacturer’s logos/trademarks/references and/or
school logos/mascots are permitted on the headbands as shown in Figures “D” and “E” below

I can't tell you how much I hate this adaptation.

We also have some other mechanics allowed that I like-- two handed reporting, charge is the punch (so PC is same as TC now for our state).
Old Wed Nov 16, 2016, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
I got dinged at a camp some years ago for 2-handed reporting. I asked the clinician how I should report a blocking foul on blue player 88.
Old Wed Nov 16, 2016, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Two-handed reporting occurs regularly in Nevada, not because it has been authorized, but because the people in the state office don't care and neither do the leaders of the local officials associations.
Old Thu Nov 17, 2016, 07:00am
Official Forum Member

Massachusetts

In Mass., we have two primary differences:

1.) 30-second shot clock for both genders (no 10-second count for girls if shot clock is being used).
2.) The infamous "stay and observe" policy regarding the postgame handshake, with the added nightmare of being unable to traditionally penalize any behavior you may observe that violates the rules. Instead, you report it to the state, but that could only have an impact on future participation, NOT on the game in question.

So basically, you could stick around following a 1-point game and have the winning coach/players tell you to "go f*** yourself" ... without consequence, on that game at least.
Old Thu Nov 17, 2016, 11:19am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregor View Post
I got dinged at a camp some years ago for 2-handed reporting. I asked the clinician how I should report a blocking foul on blue player 88.
To the table....just like when you T'd up the team for an illegal number right?
Old Thu Nov 17, 2016, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Two-handed reporting occurs regularly in Nevada, not because it has been authorized, but because the people in the state office don't care and neither do the leaders of the local officials associations.
Same in SC.