The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 14, 2016, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Kansas
Posts: 65
Give the coach an explaination

I had a situation last season that I have been thinking about as I prepare to the upcoming season.

I was C opposite table in the second half. A1 drove to the basket and traveled with a poorly executed spin move. As he squared up to the basket, there was some contact. My partner at lead and I both blow our whistles at the same time. He signals a foul, and I signal traveling. We get together and determine that the traveling happened before the contact, so I hit my whistle again, signal and point the other way. My question is this: should I have gone across the court to the coach to offer a brief explanation? Some thing like, "coach, I know you don't like it, but the traveling happened just before the foul." Or is that just asking for trouble?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 14, 2016, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 295
Your partner should explain

Great scenario to share. I'd let your partner (new trail, tableside) lend the coach an ear on the way up the floor... And acknowledge a statement or question if the coach has one.

No need to delay the game and make a scene, IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 14, 2016, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,905
Just verbally announce, "Travel was first" when signaling the decision. That way everyone knows and you can get on with the game.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 14, 2016, 09:32pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 30,227
No you do not need to go all the way across the explain a double whistle. Just say you have a travel first and move on. If a coach cannot understand that basic argument, then you will never get them to understand in a longer conversation. Just have a "KISS" attitude about these things.

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 14, 2016, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,941
Don't go out of your way to give a coach an explanation he hasn't requested. If he needs one, he'll ask for it. You'll be over by his bench soon enough, and he can ask then.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 14, 2016, 10:00pm
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,741
And the phrase "I know you won't like this" - lose it permanently.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Tue Nov 15, 2016, 12:01am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Don't go out of your way to give a coach an explanation he hasn't requested. If he needs one, he'll ask for it. You'll be over by his bench soon enough, and he can ask then.
Some clinicians refer to this as "breaking into jail." It's a great metaphor and applies here.

Don't volunteer information when you don't have to.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Tue Nov 15, 2016, 08:24am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 17,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by junruh07 View Post
He signals a foul, and I signal traveling.
To add to the above -- neither of you should signal anything other than the closed fist / open hand.

(And, yes, I know it happens.)
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Tue Nov 15, 2016, 08:42am
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 14,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
And the phrase "I know you won't like this" - lose it permanently.
I was going to offer the same advice. If you are going to explain something to a coach, keep it brief and factual.
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Tue Nov 15, 2016, 08:43am
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I was going to offer the same advice. If you are going to explain something to a coach, keep it brief and factual.


My problem with the phrase is this:

No matter what you say,he's going to hate it.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Tue Nov 15, 2016, 01:28pm
Dad Dad is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Just verbally announce, "Travel was first" when signaling the decision. That way everyone knows and you can get on with the game.
I do this occasionally and it solves absolutely everything.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Tue Nov 15, 2016, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Kansas
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
To add to the above -- neither of you should signal anything other than the closed fist / open hand.

(And, yes, I know it happens.)
I know that would have been ideal. The reason I didn't hold off on the signal is because I didn't think the contact was a foul, so I assumed (never assume) that my partner was calling a traveling as well.

Thanks for the advice to cut that phrase out. I can see where that could create issues. My default with coaches is to put blinders on and ignore them. I am trying to work at communicating more in situations where it will be helpful.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Wed Nov 16, 2016, 10:35am
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 14,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by junruh07 View Post
I know that would have been ideal. The reason I didn't hold off on the signal is because I didn't think the contact was a foul, so I assumed (never assume) that my partner was calling a traveling as well.
Having the discipline to hold off on preliminaries on double whistles is one of those things that separates officials from the crowd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by junruh07 View Post
Thanks for the advice to cut that phrase out. I can see where that could create issues. My default with coaches is to put blinders on and ignore them. I am trying to work at communicating more in situations where it will be helpful.
Keep responses short (10 words or less) and factual.
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Wed Nov 16, 2016, 02:02pm
9 times
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: St. George, UT
Posts: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by junruh07 View Post
My default with coaches is to put blinders on and ignore them. I am trying to work at communicating more in situations where it will be helpful.
I see this happen all too often from newer officials. Generally, this approach creates more problems than it solves. Coaches hate to be ignored and tend to get louder to be heard. You need to answer legitimate questions, but do not let the coach devolve the conversation or answer statements.

Keep it factual and about the call in question. If the coach tries to change the subject, end the conversation. I will also tell a coach that we are only talking about that play. If he brings up the one last trip or my partner's calls, I emphatically tell him that we are not talking about that play and we have to move on. I also prefer having the conversation during live play (some can't talk and ref, I have found that I can) because live play will have built in conversation enders (whistle, transition, etc.)
__________________
Get it right!

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Wed Nov 16, 2016, 02:04pm
9 times
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: St. George, UT
Posts: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
I do this occasionally and it solves absolutely everything.
In more than 20 years of officiating, I have never heard a phrase that solves everything. There are no "silver bullets." I agree that saying "travel first" is the BEST THING TO DO IN THIS CIRCUMSTANCE, but most of us have worked for an idiot coach who refuses to be reasonable no matter what is presented to him.
__________________
Get it right!

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need explaination for illegal touching in NFC Championship Johnny Cakes Football 5 Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:12am
You give a coach a T and... tomegun Basketball 53 Sat Jan 14, 2006 02:23pm
The more you give 'em..... just another ref Basketball 24 Thu Feb 03, 2005 01:23pm
coach ask me not to give directional signal roadking Basketball 15 Wed Dec 08, 2004 05:44am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:41am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1