The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 14, 2016, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

FIBA Throw-in spot

I received a question from my sister who coaches in the Philippines. They follow FIBA rules over there.

A1 gets fouled prior to the start of "continuous motion" in the lane for a FG try. The official rules that the foul is not in the act of shooting, but after the whistle was blown, A1 continues the shot and the ball goes in. (Team A is not in the bonus, or per FIBA parlance, Team B is not in the penalty) The ball is put back in play from the sideline (FT extended) instead of the end line.

Per NFHS, I'm pretty sure the throw in spot would be from the end line and it doesn't matter if the ball went in or not since the ball is dead at that point. But the official correctly (?) quoted this rule from the FIBA Rule Book:

17.2.6. Whenever the ball enters the basket, but the field goal or the free throw is not valid, the subsequent throw-in shall be administered at the free-throw line extended.

Was this rule correctly applied? I'm just wondering what the intent of this rule is and what other situations this may apply to.
Old Mon Nov 14, 2016, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Every time the ball goes in and it doesn't count. I. E. Common foul by the defense, whistle goes and offense puts the ball in the basket... Throw-in is at FTE.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old Mon Nov 14, 2016, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by actuary77 View Post
Was this rule correctly applied? I'm just wondering what the intent of this rule is and what other situations this may apply to.
The intent is to make it as obvious as possible to the table and others that the goal did not count.
Old Mon Nov 14, 2016, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
The intent is to make it as obvious as possible to the table and others that the goal did not count.
Yes that is the logic.

Years ago, my supervisor made that point. I said "FIBA is funny, they want the table officials to stop the game for timeouts after made baskets which is a huge responsibility yet they don't trust them to figure out if a basket counts or not".
Old Mon Nov 14, 2016, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

With that rule, you give the player with the ball the opportunity to decide the thrown-in location simply by shooting (and making) or not shooting the ball after the whistle. That seems like something that shouldn't be intended by rule.

I would think that giving the ball back to the offensive team for a throw-in would be about all you need to know that the shot shouldn't count.
Old Mon Nov 14, 2016, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
Yes that is the logic.

Years ago, my supervisor made that point. I said "FIBA is funny, they want the table officials to stop the game for timeouts after made baskets which is a huge responsibility yet they don't trust them to figure out if a basket counts or not".
You can tell how long someone has been working FIBA games by whether or not they signal the points scored on every basket..

To be honest I had no idea what the intent of the rule was.. I've only been working FIBA since 09...and even back then it was a 60/40 nfhs /FIBA split... This year I'm probably 30+ games in.. All but 5 of them have been FIBA.

Old Mon Nov 14, 2016, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

With FIBA's usual ambiguity on rules, they don't mention at which FTE the ball should be awarded.
Old Tue Nov 15, 2016, 07:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeBallanfant View Post
With FIBA's usual ambiguity on rules, they don't mention at which FTE the ball should be awarded.
They don't. It is typically the one closest to the infraction.. Or in the case of a (rare) free throw violation, the line opposite the table to prevent a switch being necessary.

Old Tue Nov 15, 2016, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

Follow up question

So when does the rule application end?

What if upon being fouled (and the whistle blown), A1 passes to A2 who then dunks the ball. Does the rule still apply and throw in will be at FTE?
Old Tue Nov 15, 2016, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Why Does FIBA 17.2.6 apply

I dont see why in the example you described, after foul is blown why 17.2.6 applies. This is a foul, dead ball, throw-in nearest point scenario not an invalid field goal.

Rule 17.2.6. refers to a FT or FG being "not valid".

17.2.6 Whenever the ball enters the basket, but the field goal or the free throw is not valid, the subsequent throw-in shall be administered at the free-throw line extended.

Examples of invalid Free throws

43.2.3. The free-throw shooter shall:
• Not touch the free-throw line or enter the restricted area until the ball has entered the basket or has touched the ring.
Take a position behind the free-throw line and inside the semi-circle.
• Use any method to shoot a free throw in such a way that the ball enters the basket from above or the ball touches the ring.
• Release the ball within 5 seconds after it is placed at his disposal by the official.
• Not touch the free-throw line or enter the restricted area until the ball has entered the basket or has touched the ring.
• Not fake a free throw.

Examples of invalid Field goals:

16.2.3. If a player deliberately scores a field goal in his team’s basket, it is a violation and the goal does not count.
16.2.4. If a player causes the entire ball to pass through the basket from below, it is a violation.

In these cases Throw-in from FT line extended.

There is no example in official Interpretations to offer a definitive answer.
Old Tue Nov 15, 2016, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Our national intrepreter said that any time a ball goes in and it doesn't count, the thrown in is FTE.