The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 11, 2016, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
1) Yes -- there is TC -- it's right from the definitions. There is not PC -- also right from the definitions.

2) You are right to put the ball on the floor. There's a case in 9.2 (I think) that has this happen
Thanks. Used your previous post in my original discussion with him.
Old Fri Nov 11, 2016, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronny mulkey View Post
Thanks. Used your previous post in my original discussion with him.
Some people think there needs to be PC to have (or to "begin") TC. While that's *usually* true, and is often stated as a short-cut to get people to understand the concept, it's not always true.
Old Fri Nov 11, 2016, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Some people think there needs to be PC to have (or to "begin") TC. While that's *usually* true, and is often stated as a short-cut to get people to understand the concept, it's not always true.
Prior to the rule change to have TC on a throwin, that was the case....team control only started (in the old rules) when player control was obtained. But of course, the TC rule on throwins, in addition to being mess up in other ways, messed up the simply concept of control.

The issue of how to handle fouls occurring during a throwin could have been so much more easily handled with a change to the foul rules than a change to the definition of team control.
Old Fri Nov 11, 2016, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Prior to the rule change to have TC on a throwin, that was the case....team control only started (in the old rules) when player control was obtained. But of course, the TC rule on throwins, in addition to being mess up in other ways, messed up the simply concept of control.

The issue of how to handle fouls occurring during a throwin could have been so much more easily handled with a change to the foul rules than a change to the definition of team control.
Agreed (as you know).

A PC foul can happen without PC, so why not just have a definition that allows a TC foul to happen without TC.
Old Fri Nov 11, 2016, 05:00pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Disposal ...

Quote:
There's a case in 9.2 that has this happen
9.2.9 SITUATION: Following a violation, the official has properly signaled and
awarded a throw-in to Team A at a designated spot. No Team A player comes to
the spot even though the official has allowed ample time for them to respond. The
official then places the ball on the floor and begins the five-second count. (a) Both
A1 and A2 step out of bounds and A1 picks up the ball; or (b) both A1 and A2
step out of bounds and A1 picks up the ball and hands it to A2. RULING: In (a),
A2 must immediately return inbounds. In (b), it is a throw-in violation when A1
hands the ball to A2.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Nov 13, 2016, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Camron Rust;992906]Prior to the rule change to have TC on a throwin, that was the case....team control only started (in the old rules) when player control was obtained.

But, the resumption of play procedure has been around for awhile???? So, that wasn't quite true even under the old rule???
Old Sun Nov 13, 2016, 09:20pm
AremRed

They need to get rid of the resumption-of-play procedure. So dumb. Just give us the ability to call a delay of game.
Old Mon Nov 14, 2016, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Prior to the rule change to have TC on a throwin, that was the case....team control only started (in the old rules) when player control was obtained.
Quote:
But, the resumption of play procedure has been around for awhile???? So, that wasn't quite true even under the old rule???
In what way? Placing the ball on the floor didn't start either team control or player control. It just made the ball at the disposal of the team.

(EDIT for clarity: UNDER THE OLD RULE)

Last edited by Camron Rust; Thu Nov 17, 2016 at 11:21am.
Old Mon Nov 14, 2016, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If there's a foul and NO timeout, then it's an immediate T if the shooting team doesn't have the shooter ready, or the "defensive" team doesn't have two players in the lower spaces. This is NOT resumption of play. See 10.4.5

To start the half -- if the team is still in the locker room, count for a minute and then issue a T. If the team is at the bench, but doesn't come on the court, use ROP.
This is correct. Directly from the Case Book.

Quote:
While you do put the ball on the floor, this is NOT the ROP procedure.
Quote:
I believe it is. It fits the definition precisely.
Camron is right. About five years ago the NFHS made an editorial change to include this action as part of the ROP procedure. Bob's thinking predates that change.
Old Thu Nov 17, 2016, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Camron Rust;993001]
Quote:

In what way? Placing the ball on the floor didn't start either team control or player control. It just made the ball at the disposal of the team.
See 4.12.2.d. A team is control "when a player of the team has disposal of the ball for a throw in". Am I misinterpreting this? It seems clear to me.
Old Thu Nov 17, 2016, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=ronny mulkey;993195]
Quote:

See 4.12.2.d. A team is control "when a player of the team has disposal of the ball for a throw in". Am I misinterpreting this? It seems clear to me.
That's true NOW. Camron was talking about the rule before the whole TC foul changes.

It USED to say something like, "TC begins when PC begins. PC begins when a player is holding or dribbling a live ball inbounds." (emphasis added) So, there was no PC or TC during a throw-in (or when the the ball was at the disposal).