The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 12, 2018, 07:37am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
I was at the MBOA camp, and will be going to the next one (Que'z Crawford's camp) in the beginning of August. I don't know if there will be any other camps in the DMV, or reasonably close to there (PA, NC, NJ, etc.) after that.
What kind of feedback did you receive at MBOA? Any particular on-court stuff you were suggested to work on? Was Al Battista there?
Old Thu Jul 12, 2018, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

Raymond, Al Battista was at MBOA camp on the first day, but he did not do any evaluations on the second and third days, when I was assigned games. Jamie Luckie evaluated one of my games instead. He said that I had strong mechanics and good playcalling, and suggested that I get to an open position before I begin my 5-second counts, and get a haircut before the season, so that I would look official.

Here is some of the other feedback that I got (based on the 2-person games I worked, I also worked some 3-person games):
Excellent mechanics

Great rules knowledge

Good counts

Good hustle

Need to move feet more for better angles – esp as Trail

Find matchups to help against ball watching

Referee the defense
Old Thu Jul 12, 2018, 08:15am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Raymond, Al Battista was at MBOA camp on the first day, but he did not do any evaluations on the second and third days, when I was assigned games. Jamie Luckie evaluated one of my games instead. He said that I had strong mechanics and good playcalling, and suggested that I get to an open position before I begin my 5-second counts, and get a haircut before the season, so that I would look official.

Here is some of the other feedback that I got (based on the 2-person games I worked, I also worked some 3-person games):
Excellent mechanics

Great rules knowledge

Good counts

Good hustle

Need to move feet more for better angles – esp as Trail

Find matchups to help against ball watching

Referee the defense
Good stuff. Work on getting sideline oriented at the 28' line in the Trail. It takes you off the court and forces you focus on your primary and take your eyes off the ball. It also leaves you in better position officiate your matchup if the ball comes back into your primary. Additionally, being sideline oriented allows your rotate to the Slot (Center) more quickly and smoothly.
Old Fri Jul 20, 2018, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Translation= stay on the sideline in 3-person, and only move off if needed to get better looks/no action on my sideline?

Staying on the sideline would give me open outside-in looks on most plays. Is that what happens for you?

It seems to be very similar to the wedge concept in baseball, where umpires view tags through the gap or wedge between the fielder's glove and the base. Wedge looks also appear to be outside-in. That might apply to engaged basketball matchups. Baseball/basketball officials, feel free to chime in.
Old Fri Jul 20, 2018, 12:53pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Translation= stay on the sideline in 3-person, and only move off if needed to get better looks/no action on my sideline?

Staying on the sideline would give me open outside-in looks on most plays. Is that what happens for you?

Yes. If I stay on the sideline in the Trail, that leaves me with an open for almost all matchups. When you come on to the court in the Trail you tend to ball-watch when it leaves your primary towards the Center. Also leaves you out of position for rotations and is the primary culprit when a rotation is missed.