The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 28, 2016, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

I work in Ohio along with a bordering state (WV) and I'm glad to read these posts because I thought I was the only one confused and frustrated by this. I walked away from it with 2 questions:

1. Does any state that borders Ohio currently do this? My other state (WV) does not and I thought maybe they changed to go along with Indiana, Michigan, Kentucky or Pennsylvania or do all 2-state officials now have to do 2 different mechanics depending on where they are?

2. Why? We got a major mechanics change without an explanation as to why they're changing it. Is this for the 'ahead of the curve' change as noted? To get the calling official away from the coach (so he can scream instead)?
Old Mon Nov 28, 2016, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

IAABO Mechanics

I believe IAABO 3-Man Mechanics have the reporting official going to opposite side.
Who on this site uses IAABO 3-Man Mechanics?
Old Mon Nov 28, 2016, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsumguy3 View Post
I work in Ohio along with a bordering state (WV) and I'm glad to read these posts because I thought I was the only one confused and frustrated by this. I walked away from it with 2 questions:

1. Does any state that borders Ohio currently do this? My other state (WV) does not and I thought maybe they changed to go along with Indiana, Michigan, Kentucky or Pennsylvania or do all 2-state officials now have to do 2 different mechanics depending on where they are?

2. Why? We got a major mechanics change without an explanation as to why they're changing it. Is this for the 'ahead of the curve' change as noted? To get the calling official away from the coach (so he can scream instead)?
3. On the football forum, it's been noted that Ohio likes to have its own way of doing things. That could be the case here.

My guess is that it has something to do with being further away from the coaches.

In response to (1), I doubt Ohio is any bit concerned with the mechanics its bordering states, and I doubt any bordering states are concerned with the mechanics in Ohio. I live in SC and we use NFHS mechanics. A lot of officials work in Georgia, as well, where they use NCAA-W mechanics. If you work in multiple states, it's on you to adjust to mechanics differences, just like if you work college as well as high school or you have multiple assigners with individual preferences.