The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 23, 2016, 12:38pm
Ok is the new good

Correctable Error-Break Down

Player A1 is fouled by B2.

Team A inbounds the ball and during their possession Team B steals a pass and drives to the other end and scores. Team A inbounds the ball and as they are bring the ball up court the table sounds the horn and lets the officials know that the previous foul by B2 was the 7th team foul and A1 should have been awarded a 1&1 bonus freethrow.

Questions: HS Rules

1) Is this correctable error within the allowed time frame?

2) Since the clock does not stop after made basket is the ball still considered live and not a dead ball?

3) When do you shoot the FT with the lane occupied and cleared?

Thanks!
Old Sun Oct 23, 2016, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

The error is not correctable. It occurred while the clock was stopped(they didn't shoot FTs). That error must be corrected no later than during the first dead ball after the clock starts. When a live ball goes through the basket it becomes dead. Whether clock running or not. In your example they did not shoot bonus. Thus the error. When the official hands ball to A1 for throw in it becomes live. Once ball goes inbounds clock starts.ball stays alive. When B makes the basket the ball becomes dead. The first dead ball after clock started. The error must be corrected before the ball becomes live again. When A grabs the ball/and the referee starts counting the ball becomes live and it becomes too late to correct the error.

It can be a tough read, but you need to read the rule book and casebook over and over and over....

Last edited by BigCat; Sun Oct 23, 2016 at 01:07pm.
Old Sun Oct 23, 2016, 01:13pm
Ok is the new good

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
The error is not correctable. It occurred while the clock was stopped(they didn't shoot FTs). That error must be corrected no later than during the first dead ball after the clock starts. When a live ball goes through the basket it becomes dead. Whether clock running or not. In your example they did not shoot bonus. Thus the error. When the official hands ball to A1 for throw in it becomes live. Once ball goes inbounds clock starts.ball stays alive. When B makes the basket the ball becomes dead. The first dead ball after clock started. The error must be corrected before the ball becomes live again. When A grabs the ball/and the referee starts counting the ball becomes live and it becomes too late to correct the error.

It can be a tough read, but you need to read the rule book and casebook over and over and over....
When a live ball goes through the basket it becomes dead. Whether clock running or not. This was the part that confused me. I was focused on the fact that the clock did not stop
Old Sun Oct 23, 2016, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
When a live ball goes through the basket it becomes dead. Whether clock running or not. This was the part that confused me. I was focused on the fact that the clock did not stop

See NFHS Rule 6-7-1. "The ball becomes dead, or remains dead, when: A goal, as in 5-1, is made."
Old Sun Oct 23, 2016, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Player A1 is fouled by B2.

Team A inbounds the ball and during their possession Team B steals a pass and drives to the other end and scores. Team A inbounds the ball and as they are bring the ball up court the table sounds the horn and lets the officials know that the previous foul by B2 was the 7th team foul and A1 should have been awarded a 1&1 bonus freethrow.

Questions: HS Rules

1) Is this correctable error within the allowed time frame?

2) Since the clock does not stop after made basket is the ball still considered live and not a dead ball?

3) When do you shoot the FT with the lane occupied and cleared?

Thanks!

As to your question 3, under NFHS Rule 8-3, "If the ball is to become dead when the last free throw for a specific penalty is not successful, players shall not occupy any spaces along the free throw lane lines."
Old Sun Oct 23, 2016, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefBob View Post
As to your question 3, under NFHS Rule 8-3, "If the ball is to become dead when the last free throw for a specific penalty is not successful, players shall not occupy any spaces along the free throw lane lines."

True in general, but the OP was specifically referring to applications of Rule 2-10.

Let's say that play was stopped to correct the error after the steal by B but before the score by B. In this case, the error is still correctable, but there has been a change of possession. So A gets his bonus with the lane cleared, and then we resume by giving the ball to B for a throw-in at the OOB spot closest to where the ball was located when the game was interrupted to correct the error.

Now let's say the game was stopped to address the CE *before* the steal by B. In this case, there has been no change of possession (A should have got a one-and-one, got a throw-in instead, c'est la vie). So we shoot the bonus with players in the lane spaces and proceed as normal. Ultimately all we lose are a few seconds on the game clock, and the table and floor officials have to swallow a little bit of pride.

Hopefully this helps your understanding.

In eight seasons, I've applied this rule only twice. But both times I'm glad I knew how to do it. I watched a Big East crew mess this up once. CEs can happen at any level; though not desirable, you get partial credit from an evaluator when you handle them correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sun Oct 23, 2016, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the clarification. It is, like you noted, all about the context!
Old Mon Oct 24, 2016, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"Clock running / stopped" and "live ball / dead ball" are completely different things.

You can have either of one with either of the other:

Clock running - live ball
Clock running - dead ball
Clock stopped - live ball
Clock stopped - dead ball
Old Mon Oct 24, 2016, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Question for you guys:

If you realize the CE has occurred before the next dead ball (therefore still correctable), would you stop play immediately, or let the play finish and correct it at the next dead ball?

Would it depend on:
Team with possession's current situation (i.e. fast break, running set play, etc.)?
Time left in game/half?