The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 25, 2016, 02:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
I like to say hands down. Then warn the player not to do it again.

I dont think any of us like a T here. Clearly the reason for it is safety. Why not give a foul and tell the coach. I warned him twice he kept doing it. I think a T hurts your team to much so I gave a common foul. Can you please have a talk with him.

Again talking its going to prevent this when you see it every 1000 games. I doubt anyone will have to make a decision on this.

I think we kick a lot more things much worse than this. It is an interesting discussion.
You actually see this often enough to have a standard approach? I've literally seen it once (maybe twice), and that was YMCA girls ball. The defender put her hand within an inch of her opponent's eyes. One warning stopped her.

I actually do like a T on this, because it's a safety concern. There's a reason we don't see it: it's not basketball. It's actually poor defense.
Old Tue Oct 25, 2016, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
I like to say hands down. Then warn the player not to do it again.

I dont think any of us like a T here. Clearly the reason for it is safety. Why not give a foul and tell the coach. I warned him twice he kept doing it. I think a T hurts your team to much so I gave a common foul. Can you please have a talk with him.

Again talking its going to prevent this when you see it every 1000 games. I doubt anyone will have to make a decision on this.

I think we kick a lot more things much worse than this. It is an interesting discussion.
I have to imagine the opposing coach would not be happy with this.
Old Tue Oct 25, 2016, 05:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
I have to imagine the opposing coach would not be happy with this.
+1

Never say anything to one coach that you wouldn't want the other coach to hear.
Old Tue Oct 25, 2016, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

I have seen 10-4-6d once in 25+ years of officiating and never in a game I was working (I was a radio broadcaster). There were three of us on the broadcast. I was the only one who had a clue what the officials were calling.

B2 was chasing A2 in the frontcourt in an end-of-game throw-in situation. In an attempt to keep A2 from receiving a pass, B2 followed A2 with both hands in front of A2's face. It was his sole method of trying to play defense. It was so obvious it had to be called.

That is when you should use that rule.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Thu Oct 27, 2016, 06:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
I have seen 10-4-6d once in 25+ years of officiating and never in a game I was working (I was a radio broadcaster). There were three of us on the broadcast. I was the only one who had a clue what the officials were calling.

B2 was chasing A2 in the frontcourt in an end-of-game throw-in situation. In an attempt to keep A2 from receiving a pass, B2 followed A2 with both hands in front of A2's face. It was his sole method of trying to play defense. It was so obvious it had to be called.

That is when you should use that rule.
I've never seen this in an officiated game but I've seen guys in pick up games get beat and reach around the ball handlers head and cover their eyes as they go up for a layup. By the rule they are not really putting the shooter in danger but that's not legal defense is it?
Old Thu Oct 27, 2016, 02:51pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tj View Post
I've never seen this in an officiated game but I've seen guys in pick up games get beat and reach around the ball handlers head and cover their eyes as they go up for a layup. By the rule they are not really putting the shooter in danger but that's not legal defense is it?
By rule, they are breaking the rule. Safety may be the reason for the rule, but it is not a proximate need to make a call.

Pick-up ball is a completely different animal. Proceed at your own risk.