The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 17, 2016, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Getting into Basketball

My area (like most) has a shortage of basketball officials. I've been thinking for a while about getting into it as a way to stay in shape between baseball seasons, but have never worked basketball. Question for the esteemed vets on this board- what would I need to get started? (Practically speaking here- uniform, other gear, etc.) I've worked baseball for about 12 years, but I don't think any of that equipment will flow into basketball at all.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Old Mon Oct 17, 2016, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Black pants, striped shirt, whistle, black socks, black shoes.

Find a local association to ask about training / registration requirements (the way local associations work varies greatly by area).

Best: Contact one of your umpire buddies who also does basketball and ask him to walk you through it.
Old Mon Oct 17, 2016, 12:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

You will be several legs up on a brand new official because of your officiating background, but you must understand that basketball has a very different set of expectations and different set of standards as to how you interact in the game.

That being said, I agree with everything Bob said. Someone that works baseball likely works basketball and can help you through that situation.

Good Luck.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 17, 2016, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Much appreciated. I know the game is different but I'll also have a regular partner who also works baseball, so hopefully we'd be able to grow into it together.

I also have an email in to my assigner to learn more about basketball in these parts. Thanks again!
Old Mon Oct 17, 2016, 02:00pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmets View Post
Much appreciated. I know the game is different but I'll also have a regular partner who also works baseball, so hopefully we'd be able to grow into it together.
So your plan is to start working basketball with another baseball-umpire-just-getting-into-basketball?

I'd reconsider that plan if I were you... after all, would you recommend a rookie baseball umpire only work with another rookie umpire?

See if your assigner can get you hooked up with some more veteran basketball officials, at least for the bulk of your first season.
Old Mon Oct 17, 2016, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with JRut...A buddy of mine had been a long time varsity baseball umpire...worked state a few times in his many years. He asked me about hoops and aside from the mechanics that a first year needs to work on, his moxie on the floor was great. I think he was mid 40s when he started hoops and he's now doing football also...

Aside from what the others have said...maybe see if you can go with a hoops ref to do an observation and join them in the officials room prior to game and during halftime just to see what the whole show is about.
Old Tue Oct 18, 2016, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Officiating is not really a good way to "get into shape". Folks say to me all the time, "hey you referee basketball you must get a good workout". I always reply to them that "Officiating games is not a work out--it is 'work' ".
Moving around in a limited area and then sprinting to a new spot, closely observing and analyzing the action---then standing or moving around only slightly is not really a work out.
Old Tue Oct 18, 2016, 05:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
Officiating is not really a good way to "get into shape". Folks say to me all the time, "hey you referee basketball you must get a good workout". I always reply to them that "Officiating games is not a work out--it is 'work' ".
Moving around in a limited area and then sprinting to a new spot, closely observing and analyzing the action---then standing or moving around only slightly is not really a work out.
I agree with your first sentence. If one is not already in shape as the season starts, officiating is going to be difficult.

It is a work out, though. It's a decent interval work out. But the better shape you're in to start with, the less of a work out it will seem.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2016, 04:06am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Just curious.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmets View Post
My area (like most) has a shortage of basketball officials.
Not to steal the thread, but, is this true in "most areas?" Certainly not true here in N VA.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2016, 06:12am
Esteemed Forum Member

Doubling Up Is Frowned Upon ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Not to steal the thread, but, is this true in "most areas?"
Here in my little corner of Connecticut, busy Fridays (middle school, high school freshman, high school junior varsity, high school varsity) are sometimes difficult to cover.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Oct 19, 2016, 06:57am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
So your plan is to start working basketball with another baseball-umpire-just-getting-into-basketball?

I'd reconsider that plan if I were you... after all, would you recommend a rookie baseball umpire only work with another rookie umpire?

See if your assigner can get you hooked up with some more veteran basketball officials, at least for the bulk of your first season.
This.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2016, 07:53am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I agree with your first sentence. If one is not already in shape as the season starts, officiating is going to be difficult.

It is a work out, though. It's a decent interval work out. But the better shape you're in to start with, the less of a work out it will seem.
Not all games are real games or single games, so if you run all out like you are supposed to for a multiple game situation, you might get a better workout than most things you can do outside of running multiple miles a day. For example if I work 4 two person games during the summer and I run during the game like I would do in a single game, I am probably going to be in better shape than I need to be for games during the season.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 19, 2016, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
If you want a good workout while you ref, switch to soccer.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2016, 12:19pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
If you want a good workout while you ref, switch to soccer.
yeah those sideline officials really get a good workout
Old Wed Oct 19, 2016, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
yeah those sideline officials really get a good workout
What next? Unfairly picking on volleyball officials for being able to work an entire match with untied shoes —or no shoes at all?! You are indeed harsh, young man.