The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

I have a debate with a co worker about the experimenting with the 3 point line before it was adopted in 1986-1987 at it's current distance of 19'9". I am sure that during the season of 1985-86, I watched a college game where the 3 point line intersected near the top of the key. (shorter distance)Can anyone confirm this or give me some direction as to where I could find out more information about this.

Thanks
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 07:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

This is pure anecdotal.

There was no official 3 point line from the NCAA standpoint. The 1986 Final Four when Louisville won the National Championship with "Never nervous" Pervis Ellison against Duke's backcourt, Johnny Dockins and Tommy Amaker (sp?) and Jay Bilas in the frontcourt. The following year they 3 point line was put in and Indiana won against Syracuse for the National Championship. I remember that because I believe HS put the rule in the same year. I was a Freshman in HS in 1987. My entire career in HS was with the 3 point line. And I remember many of us trying to consistently make that shot. It took some adjusting of course. But there were conferences like the ACC that would use a 3 point line for Conference Tournament play. I think that is where you see that line and why it was there.

Another reason I remember this, Denny Crum hated the rule and wanted it bannished. I think Louiville might not have made the NCAA Tournament the following year. And Louisville hated the fact that this 3 point line took away their advantage in the paint and teams could shoot over them.

This is off pure memory. There might be some fuzzy details.

Hope that helps.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Pretty sure you are right...thinking the ACC had the shorter line inside the top of the key.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

In '83, Jordan's sophomore year, the ACC experiment with a 3 point line that was shorter than the present 19' 9". The line was probably 6 to 8 inches inside the top of the key. The experiment only lasted one year.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2004, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Hey thanks for your replys. This helps me out a lot. I thought I had seen a game where NC State played with the experimental 3 point line. Im getting closer to proving that I was not dreaming. Thanks again for your help.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2004, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

I remember that year

It was like a lay-up for most guys.