The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

When I was watching a High School basketball game , a player from team A heaved the ball towards his basket with 3sec. into a tied game. It bounced on the free throw line then bounced into the basket with 1sec. left on the clock. Then the ref called no shot and the game went into over time. I don't think he made the right call. The shot counted right? Could the other ref over rule it?
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

No and No.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigGref
Tap or Try for basket

This one is a tricky one.

If the basketball is in the air, after hitting the ground, and time expires, you do not have a legal shot. Only an airborne try or tap for a goal after time expires extends a quarter. If you look at the def. of a try or tap you will see that this does not enter into either category. Therefore the ball is dead in the air when time expires if it is not from a try or tap. If it went in before time expired it would be 2 points awarded to that team (as a footnote). I remember seeing this one in a casebook, it used the example of a ball bouncing off a shoulder, it has the same principles I believe, as coming off the ground.

this is IMO and interpretation, I am prepared to see it ripped apart, hopefully with sitations
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

I don't have my rule book handy, but I'm assuming that the try ends when the ball hits the ground. Maybe even sooner - when it is clear the try is not going in the basket, the try ends, right? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

[Edited by Smitty on Feb 5th, 2004 at 03:28 PM]
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

The try ends when the ball hits the ground, so if it bounces in, it must be through the ring before the horn sounds or it is no good.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
The try ends when the ball hits the ground, so if it bounces in, it must be through the ring before the horn sounds or it is no good.
You just contradicted yourself. If the try ended when the ball hit the ground, if it subsequently goes into the basket after the bounce it's not a basket since there was no try. Right?
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
Quote:
You just contradicted yourself. If the try ended when the ball hit the ground, if it subsequently goes into the basket after the bounce it's not a basket since there was no try. Right?
No he didn't the ball going through the basket BEFORE time expires scores two points regardless of the try ending when the ball hits the floor. When team A shoots the ball eroneously at team B's basket they are not credited with a try either, however they do score two points for team B. Say team A passes the ball into the post in their front court however the ball bounces off B2's shoulder and goes into the basket. This is obviously not a try but you still score two for A.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
Quote:
Don't have my books with me but no you aren't correct. A goal is scored whenever the ball passes through the ring, assuming all timing regulations are adhered to as far as trys and dead balls go.

The original post asked if it was good and if the other official could overrule the call. Yes it should have been good, 2pts, the overrule part would be by discussion and subsequent agreement between the officials...but yes it should have counted..
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Score the Goal!

A live ball passed through the basket, 2 pts. The original post clearly says that the ball went through the basket with 1 sec. left on the clock. Anyone else notice the high number of posts from first time posters with once-in-a-lifetime situations?

Mregor
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

OK, well I stand corrected then. I'm always learning the whackiness of this game.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

that's why all of us are here
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 05:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Re: Score the Goal!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mregor
A live ball passed through the basket, 2 pts. The original post clearly says that the ball went through the basket with 1 sec. left on the clock. Anyone else notice the high number of posts from first time posters with once-in-a-lifetime situations?

Mregor
I noticed that, too. As the great Vulcan would say, "Fascinating."
Old Sun Feb 08, 2004, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Smitty
For another example of a non-try counting as a score, you can have A1 shoot at Team B's basket. If A1's throw goes through, it counts for B, but it is not a try. If it happens outside B's three point line, it is only two points because it was not a try. If the horn sounds after A releases but before the ball goes through, it is no good because it is not a try and the ball is dead when the horn sounds.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2004, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Angry

You guys are right, count the basket if it goes through before time expires. The ref could overrule if he sees that the ball clearly passed through the ring before the buzzer.
The main reason I replied to this post is BigGref's reply. I think it is sad when a new poster is worried about anything he says is going to get "ripped apart". Gref, the people on this board don't mean to be mean-spirited in their comments. I hope I don't come accross that way.
I hope that you are very decisive in your calls during your games and you aren't worried about getting "ripped apart" when you make them. It is the same here. A little tip: keep your rulebook handy by your computer. Look up the rule and have a rule reference handy to back up your statement. If it is a judgement call, base it on the rules as best as you can. Then if you are "ripped" you can rip back!
We are all here to learn. Let's keep that in mind before we post.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2004, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

My question in response to this situation is how quickly would the officials have to get out of the gym if the call was reversed and the outcome of the game was decided on a freak, once in a lifetime play like that?