The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 30, 2016, 10:18am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Some of us aren't willing to work 5-6 days a week anymore.

If I'm not working a varsity game, I'm likely at home with my family. Don't get me wrong -- I teach at association meetings, I'm a clinician at clinics and camps, etc. -- I give back. But after 29 years of this and with an 11-year-old child, something's gotta give.
I think this is the reality for many. If I work that much I have nothing else to do. I paid my dues to work every night, which I did for years. Those years are over primarily because someone else needs to work. I also observe official, evaluate, teach at meetings and also a state clinician who can be asked about many situations in games. I do not even have kids now but I have other obligations and officiating is not always the first thing I have to do.

Peace
Old Tue Aug 30, 2016, 11:02am
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do not even have kids now but I have other obligations...
Pole dancing?
Old Tue Aug 30, 2016, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Pole dancing?
No I believe the obligations being referenced are all court appointed.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Tue Aug 30, 2016, 01:58pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaMike View Post
... I often work 4 days a week during basketball season. Of course unlike some guys I'll work any level if I'm free; ....
If I'm working 4 games in a week, hopefully it's because on Wednesday and Saturday I am working college games. I have no desire to work 5-6 days a week unless at least 3 of those dates are college games. I am definitely not taking off from work early to work JV or middle school games. It's nice to have 2 weekdays (usually Monday & Thursday ) to live a life outside of officiating.

For my entire 15 years of officiating I have had minor children in my house, and a majority of that time was as a single parent. "Free time" was time I could spend with my child(ren) or, until recently, my 2nd wife. I was also going to school for full-time for the last 3 years, which ends in October.

So let's not assume evil or arrogant intent when officials choose not to work every night there is a game or choose not to work lower levels.
Old Tue Aug 30, 2016, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
If I'm working 4 games in a week, hopefully it's because on Wednesday and Saturday I am working college games. I have no desire to work 5-6 days a week unless at least 3 of those dates are college games. I am definitely not taking off from work early to work JV or middle school games. It's nice to have 2 weekdays (usually Monday & Thursday ) to live a life outside of officiating.

For my entire 15 years of officiating I have had minor children in my house, and a majority of that time was as a single parent. "Free time" was time I could spend with my child(ren) or, until recently, my 2nd wife. I was also going to school for full-time for the last 3 years, which ends in October.

So let's not assume evil or arrogant intent when officials choose not to work every night there is a game or choose not to work lower levels.
Well said. It is far better have any decent (or great official) for 2 nights per week and no nights per week. Just because some like to do 500 games/year doesn't mean that is best for everyone.
Old Tue Aug 30, 2016, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Hey I get the not working too many nights a week; not saying I work 4 nights a week all season but there are occasional weeks I do. Two nights a week is my preference as well. A lot of those heavy weeks are when I pick up a game on late notice to help someone out. I really don't find Jr high games to be much of an imposition though; they start at 4:30 and the A and B games are usually done by 6. Home in time for dinner. Varsity games are more of a chore; I either have to work a girl/boy double in the smaller conferences and probably drive quite a distance or a single game in the big conferences that don't start until around 7:45 so I get home late. I agree working too much can burn you out; I've been at this for 16 years and stepped away from both basketball and baseball once because I was burned out from working too much.

I also agree there are a lot of ways to learn as a new official. I went and watched veteran officials work games on my own and did a lot of studying. However, some of the tips I got from veteran guys working those lower level games in my first few years were invaluable. I'm glad there were some of them still willing to work those games with a newbie like me.
Old Tue Aug 30, 2016, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hey I get the not working too many nights a week; not saying I work 4 nights a week all season but there are occasional weeks I do. Two nights a week is my preference as well. A lot of those heavy weeks are when I pick up a game on late notice to help someone out. I really don't find Jr high games to be much of an imposition though; they start at 4:30 and the A and B games are usually done by 6. Home in time for dinner. Varsity games are more of a chore; I either have to work a girl/boy double in the smaller conferences and probably drive quite a distance or a single game in the big conferences that don't start until around 7:45 so I get home late. I agree working too much can burn you out; I've been at this for 16 years and stepped away from both basketball and baseball once because I was burned out from working too much.
If you can get off work early enough to arrive for a 4:30 game multiple times a week, good for you. Not everyone can.
Old Wed Aug 31, 2016, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

My sweet spot for the year is about 30 games during the season and about a dozen or so during the off season, probably a camp here or there. This is fun for me but it doesn't really pay the bills to warrant investing much more time.
Old Wed Aug 31, 2016, 11:20am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I really don't find Jr high games to be much of an imposition though; they start at 4:30 and the A and B games are usually done by 6. Home in time for dinner. Varsity games are more of a chore; I either have to work a girl/boy double in the smaller conferences and probably drive quite a distance or a single game in the big conferences that don't start until around 7:45 so I get home late. I agree working too much can burn you out; I've been at this for 16 years and stepped away from both basketball and baseball once because I was burned out from working too much.
Well JH games around here are a mixed bag and can start early and can start late depending on the school's policy. But 4:30 game are hard to get to in the biggest part of our state where I live as you might have to leave really early just to get to a game. I know most people usually work these kinds of games close to their houses, but as stated, not everyone gets off of work at 4:00 or works right around the house from their house. People do it of course, but it is not for everyone.

Quote:
I also agree there are a lot of ways to learn as a new official. I went and watched veteran officials work games on my own and did a lot of studying. However, some of the tips I got from veteran guys working those lower level games in my first few years were invaluable. I'm glad there were some of them still willing to work those games with a newbie like me.
Well again as stated many lower level games are earlier and hard to get to and for those of us that have been around, we are working other games. That does not preclude veterans from giving tips or information about how to improve as an official. Heck every varsity game usually has a sophomore game involved and that is what we do to observe the officials for a part of the game before us. It does not take much for us to give that information.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 31, 2016, 03:06pm
This IS My Social Life

The challenge around here is that the entry level for basketball officiating is the middle school level, and all middle school games require availability for a 4:00. Anyone spending even a minor amount of time in recruitment and training know how much of an impediment this is to getting new officials integrated into the system. The best are tied up until 5:00 and even a 6:00 arrival is pinching it for them.
Those veterans spoon-fed with ripe schedules get to pick their dates during a time slot later in the evening easy to make. Problem is, when they quit, there will be few to take their places. At least few that are good.
Not suggesting a solution, just the problem.