The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 27, 2016, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Nights of the Week

Why do states and conferences have a tendency to focus HS varsity basketball schedules (and in some cases most/all HS basketball schedules) on Tuesday and Friday nights? I know this is not a factor everywhere, but it seems like it is in more places than not. With more and more places moving to 3-person for varsity, wouldn't you want to open up other nights of the week to spread officiating talent and availability around? And wouldn't more gym space be available for more flexible scheduling as well?

When I was in Kansas a few years ago (great experience, by the way....not knocking it), I made all my money working two nights per week, and from time to time I'd do non-HS ball on Saturdays for extra cash. Don't get me wrong, my wife liked the work/life balance but I would have preferred to work a few more nights per week.

There are some possible factors that I'm aware of such as college schedules tend to focus on Wed/Sat, and Wednesdays in some places are sacrosanct because of Protestant worship traditions. But I just don't see these factors as being so predominant that HSs wouldn't want to try hosting contests on other nights of the week, especially Mondays and Thursdays.

Anyone else have thoughts and experiences with this?
Old Sat Aug 27, 2016, 08:10am
AremRed

Well Friday is a traditional high school sports night (see: HS football) and Tuesday is the optimal day opposite Friday for providing adequate rest for the athletes while still having two games per week. Probably as simple as that.
Old Sat Aug 27, 2016, 08:32am
Courageous When Prudent

They are not scheduling games based on what's optimal for getting officiating crews. That's barely a consideration.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old Sat Aug 27, 2016, 08:32am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Well Friday is a traditional high school sports night (see: HS football) and Tuesday is the optimal day opposite Friday for providing adequate rest for the athletes while still having two games per week. Probably as simple as that.
Seems quite logical.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old Sat Aug 27, 2016, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Schools are not concerned in the least with "spreading the officiating wealth."
Old Sat Aug 27, 2016, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
They are not scheduling games based on what's optimal for getting officiating crews. That's barely a consideration.
I was going to say this exact same thing. @#$@#$ schools not considering officials availability when scheduling their sporting events.
Old Sat Aug 27, 2016, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

And, many large schools send one bus with boys & girls, V, JV, soph and freshman. The saving in travel costs outweigh officiating costs. With three gyms at each school, it is the most economical way to play eight games.
Old Sat Aug 27, 2016, 05:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Well Tuesday and Friday are the typical Boys Basketball nights here. There are some exceptions as the other nights might be used as the occasional non-conference game, but when you think about it, schools only play around 18-20 games (outside of regular season tournament games).

All the other nights are typical girls nights with the occasional Friday night game.

And I do feel that some of this is the consideration is for the officials or quality officiating to be available. But the reality is that many officials here do not work both genders that much. For example I usually do not do a single girls game unless asked to do someone a favor and I am not alone there. I know many coaches on the boys side do not want to see "girl's officials" on their games typically and I think it does effect some basic scheduling of these games. I know that some conferences have gone to boys games on like a Wednesday or Monday to get more exposure and probably to get some better officials that would be working in other conferences.

Peace
Old Sun Aug 28, 2016, 10:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Water Color Memories ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Well Friday is a traditional high school sports night and Tuesday is the optimal day opposite Friday for providing adequate rest for the athletes while still having two games per week.
Agree.

Back when Title IX first kicked in and my local "boys" basketball officiating board started working girls games, the boys had Tuesday and Friday nights, and the girls had Monday and Thursday nights. Perfect for scheduling practices in schools with one gymnasium, and perfect for scheduling officials.

Eventually the girls, rightfully so, wanted a piece of the Friday night action. Friday nights are now big nights for both genders, and officials are in short supply on Friday nights (I did a junior varsity/varsity doubleheader one Friday night last season, doubling up is very rare in these parts, my only junior varsity game of the season). After Friday nights, there doesn't seem to be another "dominant" busy night. Saturday nights, which used to be a "dead" night for high school basketball, are now just as busy as any non-Friday night.

Years ago our local board would schedule our monthly meetings on Wednesday nights, with only few officials excused from the meeting due to assigned games. Now, there are many games played on Wednesdays, and we now have to schedule these meetings on Sunday mornings, much to the dismay of those of us that would like attend religious services with our families.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Aug 29, 2016 at 06:08am.
Old Mon Aug 29, 2016, 06:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Why do states and conferences have a tendency to focus HS varsity basketball schedules (and in some cases most/all HS basketball schedules) on Tuesday and Friday nights? I know this is not a factor everywhere, but it seems like it is in more places than not. With more and more places moving to 3-person for varsity, wouldn't you want to open up other nights of the week to spread officiating talent and availability around? And wouldn't more gym space be available for more flexible scheduling as well?

When I was in Kansas a few years ago (great experience, by the way....not knocking it), I made all my money working two nights per week, and from time to time I'd do non-HS ball on Saturdays for extra cash. Don't get me wrong, my wife liked the work/life balance but I would have preferred to work a few more nights per week.

There are some possible factors that I'm aware of such as college schedules tend to focus on Wed/Sat, and Wednesdays in some places are sacrosanct because of Protestant worship traditions. But I just don't see these factors as being so predominant that HSs wouldn't want to try hosting contests on other nights of the week, especially Mondays and Thursdays.

Anyone else have thoughts and experiences with this?
Also, in this area, middle school (Jr. high) games are played on Mondays and Thursdays.
Old Mon Aug 29, 2016, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Varsity HS games are Tuesday and Friday here with a very occasional Saturday game. Jr high plays primarily on Monday and Thursday. Freshman play just about any day of the week; sometimes early before the soph/varsity games on Tues/Fri, sometimes on Monday night and sometimes even on a Saturday morning. About the only night that rarely if ever has games around here is Wednesday. I often work 4 days a week during basketball season. Of course unlike some guys I'll work any level if I'm free; Tues/Friday varsity games are fun and exciting but I enjoy the low key lower level games too. Also there are plenty of guys available to work varsity games around here; the big problem is filling those lower level games because so many guys will only work varsity. How are new guys supposed to learn if they never get a chance to work with veteran officials at the lower level? I'll always work some of those Jr High/Freshman games.
Old Tue Aug 30, 2016, 08:35am
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaMike View Post
How are new guys supposed to learn if they never get a chance to work with veteran officials at the lower level? I'll always work some of those Jr High/Freshman games.
At the moment, I only work varsity (well, usually JV/V doubleheaders, as is the norm around here at all except the very biggest schools). But that's mainly due to home/family situation: with a very young child at home and my wife wanting time to do her own hobbies in the evenings (fair enough), 2 nights per week is all I'm able to work.

If/when I can work more often, I'd absolutely love to be the guy working with and mentoring the newer officials. It's just not an option right now.
Old Tue Aug 30, 2016, 08:56am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Varsity HS games are Tuesday and Friday here with a very occasional Saturday game. Jr high plays primarily on Monday and Thursday. Freshman play just about any day of the week; sometimes early before the soph/varsity games on Tues/Fri, sometimes on Monday night and sometimes even on a Saturday morning. About the only night that rarely if ever has games around here is Wednesday. I often work 4 days a week during basketball season. Of course unlike some guys I'll work any level if I'm free; Tues/Friday varsity games are fun and exciting but I enjoy the low key lower level games too. Also there are plenty of guys available to work varsity games around here; the big problem is filling those lower level games because so many guys will only work varsity. How are new guys supposed to learn if they never get a chance to work with veteran officials at the lower level? I'll always work some of those Jr High/Freshman games.
Some of us aren't willing to work 5-6 days a week anymore.

If I'm not working a varsity game, I'm likely at home with my family. Don't get me wrong -- I teach at association meetings, I'm a clinician at clinics and camps, etc. -- I give back. But after 29 years of this and with an 11-year-old child, something's gotta give.

That said, I just looked at my schedule for the coming season and I'm working every Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday night along with 4 Mondays and 4 Saturdays -- so it's not like I have a ton of time off.
Old Tue Aug 30, 2016, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

For football, the only night of the week with no football here is Tuesday night, and that is the night of the association meeting. I work 50 or more football games every year and 15 and 13 year old sons generally come with me. They don't play a fall sport so it works out. I have trained both kids to film my games, so besides getting lots of bonding time, I get lots of film to look at (we don't have Hudl here).

When it comes to my family, we all sit down and start with the football schedule and then pick family days based on that and the school schedule. It is such a short season anyway, so lots of time remains for the family before and after.

As a basketball ref, I find the weekends are the perfect time to block out. Virtually all of the games I work are during the week between 4pm and 8pm, so I just make sure to have the family stuff over the weekend. However, my son plays basketball, so I block out all of his home game dates and only work 30 or so games a year for basketball.

Last edited by Mbilica; Tue Aug 30, 2016 at 09:09am.
Old Tue Aug 30, 2016, 10:13am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I often work 4 days a week during basketball season. Of course unlike some guys I'll work any level if I'm free; Tues/Friday varsity games are fun and exciting but I enjoy the low key lower level games too.
If I work that many nights a week, it is because I am working 2 or 3 college games as well. Mostly 3 nights including Saturday is what is typical outside of a Christmas or Thanksgiving Tournament week, which can be every day and multiple games a day. And I can tell you that that is often too much over the course of a season if I worked every week with 4 games.

Quote:
Also there are plenty of guys available to work varsity games around here; the big problem is filling those lower level games because so many guys will only work varsity.
Not our problem here at all. Plenty of officials that can
work at all levels, but not as many qualified officials at the varsity level, but many think they are qualified when they are not.

Quote:
How are new guys supposed to learn if they never get a chance to work with veteran officials at the lower level? I'll always work some of those Jr High/Freshman games.
They can do the very same thing I did. I worked as many games as I could and often did not work with varsity officials in the process. I went to clinics, attended meetings and talked to my mentors. Sometimes the best way to learn is work with someone that is on a similar level you are so that you do not just defer or assume that the veteran will bail you out. Not to say that is not part of the process to work with veterans, but it should not be the default position for every lower level games. I know two young officials that can handle a game just fine if trained properly.

Peace