The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 18, 2013, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Some Nights

Called my first three second violation of the season last night in girls varsity. Girl caught the ball and just stood in the lane waiting apparently for the Red Sea to open up. I tried to give her plenty of time to make some kind of move but it never came.

The coach was upset because she said I can't call a three second violation if the player in the lane has the ball.

No wonder they have not won a game this year.
Old Wed Dec 18, 2013, 03:16pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE Minnestoa Re View Post
Called my first three second violation of the season last night in girls varsity. Girl caught the ball and just stood in the lane waiting apparently for the Red Sea to open up. I tried to give her plenty of time to make some kind of move but it never came.

The coach was upset because she said I can't call a three second violation if the player in the lane has the ball.

No wonder they have not won a game this year.
We had a coach argue a travel called against his opponent. Said he didn't mean to be a jerk, but that was a "legal stutter step." Told my partner he should've whacked him for being a jerk.

If we had fewer than 10-15 travels, I'd be shocked.
Old Wed Dec 18, 2013, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Last night, a coach protested that his player did not commit a player control foul (NFHS) because the defender was under the basket ...
Old Wed Dec 18, 2013, 03:36pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Thumbs down Gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
If we had fewer than 10-15 travels, I'd be shocked.
Were you one of my P's last night?

Last night also goes down for me as having the most blocked shots I can remember - I'd say 15 - 20 for sure. Memorable.

Shooting percentage last night - probably 5-10% combined. HORRIBLE! Also memorable. Blech.

Last edited by grunewar; Wed Dec 18, 2013 at 03:39pm.
Old Wed Dec 18, 2013, 03:45pm
Esteemed Participant

We had a Home player dunk during warm-ups. While R was taking care of informing table and Coaches,Visiting player goes up and throws one down also. I walked over to him and said "Really?" and his response was "Well they already did it, so you can't T me too."

Sigh...
Old Wed Dec 18, 2013, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Freedom of Movement...

That is alright, first night 10 days ago BV...assistant coach told me freedom of movement was a point of emphasis...I reluctantly bit in and told him if it is we just bumped up a level and I wasn't getting paid enough!!!
Old Wed Dec 18, 2013, 03:57pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
We had a Home player dunk during warm-ups. While R was taking care of informing table and Coaches,Visiting player goes up and throws one down also. I walked over to him and said "Really?" and his response was "Well they already did it, so you can't T me too."

Sigh...
Was it a false double T or a simultaneous T?
Old Wed Dec 18, 2013, 05:10pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Was it a false double T or a simultaneous T?
Stir that pot!!

We had V shoot 2, then H shoot 2 and then inbound ball at division line. As soon as H had ball for throw-in, arrow went to V. Both my partners wanted to shoot all 4 and then toss it up...talked them out of that.
Old Wed Dec 18, 2013, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

I had a coach tell me last night, just after his player who was trying to pick up a loose finally gained control but was out of bounds, "I was asking for timeout way before she even picked the ball up"
Old Wed Dec 18, 2013, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As soon as H had ball for throw-in, arrow went to V.
No one bit, so I will. Very slightly too early there.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Dec 18, 2013, 05:52pm
Esteemed Participant

Hmmmm...don't think so. There is a case play under Rule 6 that addresses this very situation...don't have my books with me at work, but I read it to my doubting partners after the game. Pretty sure (like 99.99%) that it says to set the arrow when it is at the disposal of the thrower.

Anyone got their Case book handy?
Old Wed Dec 18, 2013, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

Mine last night in the 4Q of a BV after an offensive player pushed a defensive player to the ground just outside the block, while trying to post up and I blew a team control foul.....

'He was just fighting for position!!'

Old Wed Dec 18, 2013, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hmmmm...don't think so. There is a case play under Rule 6 that addresses this very situation...don't have my books with me at work, but I read it to my doubting partners after the game. Pretty sure (like 99.99%) that it says to set the arrow when it is at the disposal of the thrower.

Anyone got their Case book handy?
Change it to 100%
TECHNICAL BEFORE PERIOD STARTS
6.4.1 SITUATION A: Twelve minutes before the game is scheduled to start,
team member A1 dunks the ball and is charged with a technical foul. B1 is discovered
to be wearing an illegal shirt, as the players prepare for the start of the
game. RULING: The game will be started by awarding Team B two free throws for
A1’s technical foul. Team A will then be given two free throws and the ball for a
division-line throw-in for B1’s infraction. When the thrower of Team A has the ball
for the throw-in, they have control for purposes of establishing the procedure and
the arrow is immediately set toward B’s basket
. Team B will have the first
opportunity for an alternating-possession throw-in. (4-3)

Last edited by Zoochy; Wed Dec 18, 2013 at 06:20pm.
Old Wed Dec 18, 2013, 06:50pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
Change it to 100%
TECHNICAL BEFORE PERIOD STARTS
6.4.1 SITUATION A: Twelve minutes before the game is scheduled to start,
team member A1 dunks the ball and is charged with a technical foul. B1 is discovered
to be wearing an illegal shirt, as the players prepare for the start of the
game. RULING: The game will be started by awarding Team B two free throws for
A1’s technical foul. Team A will then be given two free throws and the ball for a
division-line throw-in for B1’s infraction. When the thrower of Team A has the ball
for the throw-in, they have control for purposes of establishing the procedure and
the arrow is immediately set toward B’s basket
. Team B will have the first
opportunity for an alternating-possession throw-in. (4-3)
Thanks!
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 12:36pm
Stubborn Member

This happened a few times before the coach for Team B said anything...

1. A1 attempts a three-pointer.

2. B1 turns and proceeds to box out A1/shooter, but while doing so backs up into A1 (after A1 had already returned to the floor)... knocking A1 down.

3. B1 is called for a pushing foul (not shooting, as A1 is no longer an "airborne shooter" after returning to the floor).

After a couple times calling this, the coach for Team B politely asks me why it was a foul. She says that her team was simply boxing out the shooter. I explain that the former shooter has the right to the spot where she lands, and Team B's defender is not allowed to displace the former shooter from that spot.

The coach thinks this is ridiculous and proceeds to turn around, look at her assistants, and laugh while holding out her arms... as if I'm an idiot. A little while later she gets out of hand after I called a foul on one of her players, earning her a seatbelt for the rest of the game.

With less than a minute left, while her team is bringing the ball down the court, I hear her yelling something that sounds like "time out". I blow my whistle and ask if she wants time. She proceeds to laugh as if my question is the dumbest thing she's ever heard, telling me she said "five out". As if "five out" sounds nothing like "time out", especially when it's being yelled out and not in my direction. I just give her team another throw-in, without a time out, and the game ends with no further issue.

BTW, Team B (the one whose coach was a problem) lost 65-11.