The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 28, 2016, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Backcourt or not?

High school tournament today. Player A1 is dribbling in the backcourt, tries to throw a long, hard pass to a teammate. The pass is so high and overthrown that it hits the backboard, bounces a few times, and comes right back to player A1, still in the backcourt. My partner originally called backcourt violation, but after a discussion, we decided that since it hit the backboard it should just be ruled as a try and that team control was lost and regained legally. After the game, I really started to question this call. I'd think that just because it hits the backboard doesn't make it necessarily a shot attempt. So my questions:
1. If he clearly wasn't shooting, should it really be looked at as a try?
2. Does hitting the backboard give the ball front court status? Would it be backcourt violation?
Old Sat May 28, 2016, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

1) An official must judge that the player is throwing or attempting to to throw toward the goal for it to be considered a try. In this case, this is not a try for goal, so team control doesn't end. The ball striking the backboard is inconsequential with respect to whether or not you judge this a try.

2) Yes, the ball touching Team A's own backboard gives the ball frontcourt status, see NFHS 4-4-5.

1. Team control (Yes, the errant pass does not cause team control to end)
2. Ball gains frontcourt status (Yes, when the ball hit the backboard)
3. A is the last to touch before the ball returns to the backcourt (Yes, no player from Team B touched the ball before it returned the the backcourt)
4. A is the first to touch after the ball returns to the backcourt (Yes, Team A was the first to touch the ball when it returned to the backcourt)

This is a backcourt violation.

Last edited by SC Official; Sat May 28, 2016 at 07:07pm.
Old Sun May 29, 2016, 04:07am
Official Forum Member

Agree on all counts.....violation. The only way it is not is if you had judged the "throw" to be a "try". And for that to be the case, you have to judge intent, not the result.
Old Sun May 29, 2016, 11:47am
#thereferee99

Like this?

Old Mon May 30, 2016, 05:33am
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post

If you look at this play the way the opening post states, this is a BC violation. However, in this play, If the defender touched the pass before it hit the backboard, I believe that this is not a violation. The defender would be the last and first to touch because no one else did until the ball regained backcourt status.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old Mon May 30, 2016, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
If you look at this play the way the opening post states, this is a BC violation. However, in this play, If the defender touched the pass before it hit the backboard, I believe that this is not a violation. The defender would be the last and first to touch because no one else did until the ball regained backcourt status.
That looks like a try to me, which would have ended team control. But even if you don't rule it a try, Team A (black) was not the last to touch it before it returned to the backcourt (I don't think, can't really tell). Incorrect call either way.
Old Mon May 30, 2016, 11:34am
Do not give a damn!!

Looks to me like a pass. I have a BC violation and I do not see any other Team B (white team) player touch the ball. I think that is a good call.

Peace
Old Mon May 30, 2016, 12:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Worth Discussing ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Looks to me like a pass ... I do not see any other Team B (white team) player touch the ball.
Also looks like pass to me (low trajectory, probably intendeded for Black 32 running down the left side.), but it also looks like defender White 35 deflects the pass. What a crazy play. Good idea for the officials to get together to discuss the play after the initial backcourt call, certainly not an ending where the officials all run off the court. Nice video referee99. Thanks for sharing.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon May 30, 2016 at 12:16pm.
Old Mon May 30, 2016, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

If you deem that this was a pass and not a try for goal then its a backcourt violation.

If you deem this a try for goal then no backcourt violation.
Old Mon May 30, 2016, 03:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Also looks like pass to me (low trajectory, probably intendeded for Black 32 running down the left side.), but it also looks like defender White 35 deflects the pass. What a crazy play. Good idea for the officials to get together to discuss the play after the initial backcourt call, certainly not an ending where the officials all run off the court. Nice video referee99. Thanks for sharing.
I do not see a tip or deflection, but if there is then that would factor in the ruling. But it looks like a pass to be in nothing else he does a one handed toss, which is not often a shot unless there are only seconds to go. Well there was time as the last toss was in time apparently.

Peace
Old Mon May 30, 2016, 05:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Deflected, Or Not ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do not see a tip or deflection ...
To be honest, neither did I, but I did see the trajectory of the ball change (upward) as the thrown ball went very near the outstretched hands of defender White 35. In any case, the center official would have had great look at this, and would contribute his observation to the post play discussion that took place in the center circle.

I wonder how all of this was finally adjudicated?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue May 31, 2016, 07:03am
Do not give a damn!!

Maybe, but it just seems like a bad decision to make a long pass considering the fact he was not beating the clock immediately and the length of the throw/toss it was just bad pass attempt. But it appears this was a BC violation called and it does not appear anyone changed that call based on the officials reaction.

Peace
Old Tue May 31, 2016, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAK View Post
If you deem that this was a pass and not a try for goal then its a backcourt violation.

If you deem this a try for goal then no backcourt violation.
Who is "you" in the situation of having a crew getting together? Does the calling official have to rule it a try/not a try, what if his partner or the chief has it as try? I assume if a partner picked up a deflection that was missed you would use that info but what about the was it a try discussion?

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Fri Jun 03, 2016, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficialBFish View Post
High school tournament today. Player A1 is dribbling in the backcourt, tries to throw a long, hard pass to a teammate. The pass is so high and overthrown that it hits the backboard, bounces a few times, and comes right back to player A1, still in the backcourt. My partner originally called backcourt violation, but after a discussion, we decided that since it hit the backboard it should just be ruled as a try and that team control was lost and regained legally. After the game, I really started to question this call. I'd think that just because it hits the backboard doesn't make it necessarily a shot attempt. So my questions:
1. If he clearly wasn't shooting, should it really be looked at as a try?
2. Does hitting the backboard give the ball front court status? Would it be backcourt violation?
Lets change it up a bit...
Player A1 is dribbling in the backcourt, tries to throw a long, hard pass to a teammate. The pass is so high and overthrown that it hits the rim, bounces a few times, and comes right back to player A1, still in the backcourt.
Old Fri Jun 03, 2016, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP View Post
Lets change it up a bit...
Player A1 is dribbling in the backcourt, tries to throw a long, hard pass to a teammate. The pass is so high and overthrown that it hits the rim, bounces a few times, and comes right back to player A1, still in the backcourt.
There is nothing in the rules that declares a thrown ball that hits the rim is always a try. Judgment required. If there's room for doubt I will call it a try. But, if its clearly just a bad pass….it is still a pass and no loss of team control. violation.