The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 25, 2016, 06:06pm
Patience is important

Last word on this one. This is not to question an official at any level who made a call or non-call.
It is a foul, especially on the replay angle that we can all see. I am not making any inference that these officials are being inconsistent at all in this game.

Do I see a obvious foul on this play from the center who is moving, looking through 3 other players in front of him and sees the back of the defender? Sorry, no I don't.
He saw something that his partners may or may not have seen, but he blew his whistle and made a call.

The lead is looking directly at these two players, but does not look like a good angle to see the body contact.
If the trail comes in on his angle being able to look through the players and we have a double whistle, then we have confirmation that 2 officials saw the play and agree on a foul.
It looks like by the trail's head movement that he may have not had the best look, so thus hold your whistle.
I don't see any of the officials with a clear open look of the entire play, because of the ending angle and the movement of the other players in the off ball areas.

The administrators made a point that this is a learning environment and needs to stay as such. Please keep your comments cordial and support your fellow officials.

Last edited by ltllng; Wed May 25, 2016 at 06:56pm.
Old Wed May 25, 2016, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

I'm watching on my laptop and picture is small but it looks like Blue #8 who comes down to set the pick on the defender guarding LeBron on the inbound pass, wraps his arm around the defender and turns him to the inside to clear the outside path for Lebron towards the basket. Granted it doesn't look like the defender tried to move much but it sure looks like he could play TE in the NFL.
Old Thu May 26, 2016, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltllng View Post
Do I see a obvious foul on this play from the center who is moving, looking through 3 other players in front of him and sees the back of the defender? Sorry, no I don't.
The C appears to move to position adjust. At the start of the play there are four players in his PCA but only two of them are close enough to each other to cause any worry. One of the players who was in his PCA happens to be the one who goes for the block so it's not unreasonable for the C to follow him to the basket. I would say that's what he's supposed to do because that player would be a secondary defender and the C is the one who'll know whether he has LGP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltllng View Post
He saw something that his partners may or may not have seen, but he blew his whistle and made a call.
That's the system in a nutshell. If you help you're doing so because you're calling something your partners can't see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregor View Post
I'm watching on my laptop and picture is small but it looks like Blue #8 who comes down to set the pick on the defender guarding LeBron on the inbound pass, wraps his arm around the defender and turns him to the inside to clear the outside path for Lebron towards the basket. Granted it doesn't look like the defender tried to move much but it sure looks like he could play TE in the NFL.
Yes, Dellavedova makes contact with Carroll but the initial contact is legal (Carroll's head turns right before he backs into Dellavedova so he knows the screener is there). Once Carroll realizes he's screened it appears as though he stops making any attempt to follow James to the goal. Illegal screens cause contact and delay the person being screened. Even if the initial contact was borderline, Carroll appears to delay himself. The arm stuff between the two of them is really window dressing.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sun May 29, 2016, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
Lets put all nonsense about conspiracy theories and star treatment aside.

Last night at the end of the first half there was foul called on Raptors big man Biyambo trying to block Lebron.

I think the call is probably correct especially in real time, but is a great example of the inconsistency of this call in higher level basketball and what takes precendence in regards to determining incidental contact. In some cases we see officials who if the block is clean unless contact after the fact is excessive let this go, other officials who will not allow any contact regardless quality of the blocked shot because the contact is what put them in position to get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v380rlzNaCI
Inconsistency? From my perspective this was an easy call. I disagree that this was ball then body ( using something akin to the 80/20 rule).. The speed and direction of the defense along with the layup make this a foul. The one freeze frame does not do this play Justice.