The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 12:25pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation It wasn't 100-0, but we were getting there

Boys 8th grade last night. Halftime score, visitors 36, home 10. Final score, visitors 72, home 12. Yep, the visitors scored exactly 36 in each half and the home team scored only 2 points in the second half. And - both of those points came on free throws.

I haven't seen anything like this in a long time. It wasn't that the home team didn't get any shots, they got plenty but they just missed them all. In fact, the closest the home team came to scoring in the second half was when one of their players was holding the ball over his head after getting an offensive rebound and a visiting player hit it out of his hands and almost into the home team's basket. Just think, if it would have gone in, then their only basket of that half would have been scored by the opposing team by mistake! How weird is that?

There were no problems from the home coach or players and they all shook hands with the visitors after the game. The home coach even said to the visiting coach, "Thanks for the game".

When the game ended, my partner and I just shook our heads.

It was our second game of the night. The first was 8th grade girls and the final was 16-9. I think each team shot about 10% from the floor, and that's giving them the benefit of the doubt.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

OK, but were they "elite"?
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 01:55pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Had a 8th grade girls B game the other night, halftime was 8-2, and ended up 21-18. I just couldn't contain my excitement in the 2nd half! LOL
Old Fri Feb 06, 2009, 03:17am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Girls Varsity earlier this year...

End of FIRST QTR, 44-2, final was 88-9. In CA we have mercy rule, 40 in the fourth is running clock. To bad we dont have 60 in the third.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2009, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

I did a boys HSV game in November. It was the first high school basketball game the one school had ever played. they played what is one of the best teams in the area. the good team brought only 7 players, so they needed to play at least 3 of their starters all of the time.

half score 50 -12

running clock in the second half., final score 88-20. If we would not have had a running clock, the score would have been 20 points higher.

The winning team never pressed the second half , but they were so quick and good, that they would steal the ball from the guards off of a dribble and go untouched to their basket. They probably score 50 points that way.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2009, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Get paid for running suicides

Worst thing about 8th grade girls 16-9 thrillers is that we end up doing windsprints -- fine for the first game of the day, murder in the third. Upcourt, miss. Downcourt, miss. Upcourt, miss. Downcourt, miss. They can't make layups but they think then need to fast break. Fortunately,there are still a few of those tiny middle school gyms, many times due to "the old high school" becoming the jr. high. Nothing better on such a night than to have one of those cramped ancient courts with a creaky, dead-spot-ridden floor, non-responsive backboards bolted to pipes bolted to the wall, lines painted for every sport in existence [and several that haven't been played since the Hoover administration] and a restraining circle that comes close to intersecting the three-point arc.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2009, 12:36pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by amusedofficial View Post
Upcourt, miss. Downcourt, miss. Upcourt, miss. Downcourt, miss.
No, it's more like: Upcourt, held ball. Downcourt, held ball. Upcourt, held ball. Downcourt, held ball, etc.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2009, 03:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Love His Vacuum Cleaners ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amusedofficial View Post
Lines painted for every sport in existence [and several that haven't been played since the Hoover administration]
Some of those lines are probably indoor croquet lines. Mark Padgett would know the answer. Not only is he a top-notch, varsity croquet official, he is old enough to have officiated croquet during the Hoover administration, although he was probably a junior varsity croquet official back then.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Feb 07, 2009, 04:56pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Just finished a B13U Rec game......31-2 at halftime! Worst lopsided score I've had yet. I don't know how that league conducted its draft, but this was horrible. The game ended a "respectable" 51-24 as the winning coach/league director sat most of his good players the second half.....which was nice of him!
Old Sat Feb 07, 2009, 08:59pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Some of those lines are probably indoor croquet lines. Mark Padgett would know the answer. Not only is he a top-notch, varsity croquet official, he is old enough to have officiated croquet during the Hoover administration, although he was probably a junior varsity croquet official back then.
No, I "graduated" from JV croquet during the "Tippecanoe and Tyler too" administration.