The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 24, 2016, 07:07am
Official Forum Member

Block that was or wasn't

Lets put all nonsense about conspiracy theories and star treatment aside.

Last night at the end of the first half there was foul called on Raptors big man Biyambo trying to block Lebron.

I think the call is probably correct especially in real time, but is a great example of the inconsistency of this call in higher level basketball and what takes precendence in regards to determining incidental contact. In some cases we see officials who if the block is clean unless contact after the fact is excessive let this go, other officials who will not allow any contact regardless quality of the blocked shot because the contact is what put them in position to get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v380rlzNaCI

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Tue May 24, 2016, 09:03am
AremRed

I have no problem with the call. Biyombo does not have legal guarding position and makes contact with the body of the offensive player. If players don't want to get called for fouls like this then they need to do a better job of showing that they got ball first and then got body, which Biyombo did not do.
Old Tue May 24, 2016, 09:13am
Stubborn Member

Do I even have to say it?

STUPID ANNOUNCERS!

"That's a clean block."

Okay, but what about all the body-to-body contact? Was that "clean" too?

Biyambo wasn't even close to vertical, and there was more than a little body-to-body contact making this a very easy block foul call.
Old Tue May 24, 2016, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

That's one of those really tough ones. Clean up top but the defender is jumping into James.

Watching the game on the Raptors feed, the announcers have convinced themselves that the NBA is out to get the Raptors. All they talked about was how can the Raptors not shoot one free throw in the first half. Yet the Cavs shot 2 free throws in the 2nd half. No mention of that by the announcers.
Old Tue May 24, 2016, 10:23am
AremRed

Wtf. First they complain about foul disparity, and now they are using free throw disparity to claim inconsistency?? Thank god they are not tracking Total Free Throws on the scoreboard (yet).
Old Tue May 24, 2016, 11:00am
Do not give a damn!!

It was not clean by any respect. There was a lot of arm contact to get the block and he was not in LGP when jumping forward to make the block. If he got the ball first and then some body contact, I would have had no issue with a no-call, but most of the contact was with body and arm first. It was a close play but the right play.

Peace
Old Tue May 24, 2016, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltllng View Post
My problem becomes who made the foul call.
Clearly primary is lead who stands and watches.

Secondary is Trail who might have a look at it also and would have a better angle on body contact.

Which leaves the Slot (Center) going across the paint to make a questionable call.

If it is not Lebron, is the foul called?

We as officials sometimes "protect" the best players on the court instead of actually calling the rules of the game.
This is a large assumption that wasn't backed up by any facts.

1) It was a good call
2) Calling across the paint isn't a sin
3) Better players are better because they are better. Knowing how to get foul calls is one of many attributes.

Looking at plays and learning is great, but this incessant need people have to call out NBA/whatever officials is grating.
Old Wed May 25, 2016, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Fantastic play! Sends a message that nothing is coming easy, and if you are coming to the rim you better bring your big boy pants. But also clearly a foul. I couldn't believe how the announcers were carrying on about how clean it was. If that is clean, what is a foul?
Old Wed May 25, 2016, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why would the Center make this call?

I don't have an problem with a call or non call on this, but it seems by the lead's reaction (or non-reaction) that he was passing on this and the Trail was passing also.

Given the inconsistency of the referees in key situations in many spots near the end of halves, games, etc., this just adds to the public's perception that the referees aren't doing a good job.
The public is good at being wrong.

The Center saw something that he deemed to need a whistle on. The lead passed, sure, but it's very plausible he wasn't able to see the entire play clearly.
Old Wed May 25, 2016, 11:14am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

I don't have an problem with a call or non call on this, but it seems by the lead's reaction (or non-reaction) that he was passing on this and the Trail was passing also.

Given the inconsistency of the referees in key situations in many spots near the end of halves, games, etc., this just adds to the public's perception that the referees aren't doing a good job.
Inconsistency?

Are you an official?

Each play is a snowflake. By that I mean that each play has elements that make it unique. People that cry out inconsistency seem to think that every play is the same and the only thing that matters is whether a foul was called at the other end or not.

Your comments about LeBron getting start treatment above (I restored the deleted post as I think it gives everyone here great insight where you're coming from) tells me that either you're not an official or you haven't been doing this long enough to realize how much bullshit that line of thinking really is.
Old Wed May 25, 2016, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why would the Center make this call?.
Could it be because, I don't know, he had the best angle to see the illegal contact?

Quote:
Maybe they weren't passing on it. Maybe they, I don't know, couldn't see the illegal contact and did what we're trained to do: not blow their whistles.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Wed May 25, 2016, 12:33pm
AremRed

Quote:
Probably cuz the defender came from the Slot's area so he would know whether the player had LGP or not.
Old Wed May 25, 2016, 02:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
If you don't believe that this year has been more inconsistent in key situations, then that is your view and I respect that, but watch the eyes of the officials in the plays and you can see what they are looking at.

Our job as officials is to be consistent as the rules state. We will make mistakes and miss calls, be out of position, mess up, etc. That is part of the game. How we improve upon those mistakes is how we improve to make the game better.
Like was said before, this play was not about consistency as it is the only play we saw. Now if you saw the rest of the game that is fine, but this play in question was the only one most of us here likely saw. Also I doubt there were many other plays like it in the game considering it is alley-oop.

Another problem with your comments is that you talk about consistency with the rules, but you do not talk about the rules that actually apply here. The defender was not in a LGP by jumping towards a airborne shooter or player. I do not know what consistency has to do with this play as this is a foul most of the time and if it is not, then there better be an explanation. I also do not know what has happen this year that consistency is so much down.

Peace
Old Wed May 25, 2016, 02:51pm
AremRed

Quote:
I am only pointing out that from the video my opinion is that I saw 6 eyes looking at the play and the official the furthest away made the call.
If you really follow the NBA style of officiating as closely as you claim you should know that NBA officials don't care about this. The most important thing is who has an open look on the play, regardless of how far away they are. You should know for example that the Trail official has the best look at rebounding fouls on the weak side block.
Old Wed May 25, 2016, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am only pointing out that from the video my opinion is that I saw 6 eyes looking at the play and the official the furthest away made the call.
If distance from the play is in some way relevant to you ... and you really are an official ... PLEASE go to more classes.

Angle is FAR more important than distance (applies to officiating nearly every sport).

West Houston Mike