The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 08, 2016, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

End of Season Feedback

I just typed this whole long thread and it was lost trying to post. This will be reader's digest version as that took a long time and lot of thought but I'm not re-doing the whole thing.

I've been getting decent schedules the last few years. Last year I had D1-3 boys with only 2 girls games all season. But, when it came to post season, I got lower level boys games. After the season was over, I met one of the two that do the actual assignments. He said I follow all their mechanics and call a decent game, but the rap on me is that I am too nice. He said on a scale of 1-100 with one being nice and 100 being a bad ass, I'm a one. He wants me somewhere in between but for the immediate future, he wants me to be full blown to the right until he tells me to "reel it in". He wasn't sure if that was my personality or if I could adapt to what he wants. I assured him that it was a front I was putting on because I thought that's what they wanted.

Being retired military, this is my 5th place I've reffed (Phoenix Metro Area). I worked hard to remain calm and cool under pressure as that's what they wanted in Albq.

So this is what I have come up with to work on during the off-season.

1-Will answer reasonable questions but will not tolerate chirping. I admit I've been explaining too much in the past. Make sure that coach/player is only warned once by either me or my partner and then penalized if they continue.
2-Strong voice, ALL THE TIME.
3-More demonstrative signals to go with the strong voice, all the time.
4-Swager from the moment I take the floor. It's my game!

Anyone have any experience or can relate to this?

Roger
Old Sun May 08, 2016, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

I think that's a really good goal list. Not too much to worry about; a nice set of changes to make in a single season's worth of work.

1. Agree....within reason. Warn/whack is good so long as it's not perceived that you're out looking for it. Perhaps more importantly, when the coach isn't questioning you (professional or otherwise), look for those opportunities to be human and initiate a quick dialogue from time to time. Maybe a quick joke and smile when you're the T on the first of two free throws. Perhaps saying, "that was a nice play" when you're running by in transition after one of his players does something nifty. As long as you do this on both ends it can really help.

2. Yes....a long as you don't sound like a drill sergeant. Being military myself, I used to do this until a clinician told me loud is good, but more volume and less bark.

3. Yes. The NFHS purists will always try to get you to look like a robot, but if you have a fun "signal swagger" without necessarily employing the circus acts that were common in the late 70s/early 80s, I think it would do well for you.

4. See above.

My two cents. Good luck!
Old Sun May 08, 2016, 03:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

1. One size does not fit all. Just understand this could be something you deal with constantly as coaches change, officials change and how they interact with officials with change for all kinds of reasons. Just try to deal with each situation individually but come to the table with a plan on how you handle most situations.

2. Nothing wrong with this, but learn to know when to be stronger at some times and softer other times. Situations can dictate this your degree of how you use your voice.

3. Again like in #2, you need to have strong signals all the time but know when you have to "sell" a call and when to be matter of fact about a call. But overall consistency is good.

4. Not sure I understand what you mean by this, but I think your presence can be consistent by the way you carry yourself.

Peace
Old Sun May 08, 2016, 06:14pm
certified Hot Mom tester

When a coach starts mouthing off to you, look him right in the face and say, "Solly - no speakee Engrish."
Old Sun May 08, 2016, 09:10pm
Courageous When Prudent

The one thing about being an a-hole official is that you have to know the rules and you have to have excellent judgment. Once you show that you know what you're doing coaches will be less likely to question you, and then you can start opening up to them when they do ask questions occasionally

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Old Sun May 08, 2016, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
The one thing about being an a-hole official is that you have to know the rules and you have to have excellent judgment. Once you show that you know what you're doing coaches will be less likely to question you, and then you can start opening up to them when they do ask questions occasionally
Pretty much got the rules down. I've been doing this for over 25 years now. Not much surprises me anymore. I can think my way through any situation based on fundamentals. I call a decent game. May miss a few but I don't have phantom BS calls either, for the most part.

One of the quotes he used was, "This is your game and the coaches and players are only there to F it up."

He went on to say that the boys D1 final was a good example. The crew that worked it were not the best play callers but they were the most respected on the court.

Can't wait to let loose. I pitty the poor 6th graders at the Y next week.

j/k

Roger
Old Mon May 16, 2016, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Definitely agree on the warning thing. I warn way too much. Sometimes I warn after my partner has warned. I'll be honest--sometimes I'm afraid to whack a player or especially a coach (which I know I shouldn't be). I'm barely 24--some of these guys are twice my age or more. The only remedy for that is experience and it's absolutely something I'm going to work on.

Signals and voice are super easy to practice. I do it in the shower or in front of the mirror all the time (well maybe not all the time). "Red. 34. Push. Two shots." "White. 23. Hold. Baseline throw." With accompanying signals. Repeat. Do it enough and it'll be muscle memory. Sounds goofy as hell but it works. When I'm reporting normal situations, I use as few words as possible. That helps me keep a strong voice while still getting the point across.

Your last point is kind of up to you. Smile, look proud to be there, and look good. That's about all I can offer there

Last edited by RedAndWhiteRef; Mon May 16, 2016 at 07:42pm.
Old Mon May 16, 2016, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregor View Post
Pretty much got the rules down. I've been doing this for over 25 years now. Not much surprises me anymore. I can think my way through any situation based on fundamentals. I call a decent game. May miss a few but I don't have phantom BS calls either, for the most part.

One of the quotes he used was, "This is your game and the coaches and players are only there to F it up."

He went on to say that the boys D1 final was a good example. The crew that worked it were not the best play callers but they were the most respected on the court.

Can't wait to let loose. I pitty the poor 6th graders at the Y next week.

j/k

Roger
D1 officials do Y games?
Old Tue May 31, 2016, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

I would try to get specific examples from peers, but it sounds to me is that the assignor is not seeing a crew-chief mentality. This means doing what is right for the game at all times. Sometimes, this means putting your foot down. You can do this in a professional manner though. That said, when someone crosses the line, assignors want officials with the courage to step up and protect the integrity of the game.