The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 03, 2016, 09:18am
The old new guy

Thunder vs Spurs Pt 2

According to NFHS rules

1. The easy part

Ginobli foot on the line is delay of game.

2. Hard part

What is the correct call for Waiters in bounding the ball and shoving Ginobli?

3. In not knowing what to call but knowing that a violation did occur should play have been blown and then play discussed?

Thunder vs. Spurs Referee Comments on Dion Waiters, Manu Ginobili Non-Foul Call | Bleacher Report

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by diehardmason; Tue May 03, 2016 at 09:21am.
Old Tue May 03, 2016, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

And does anyone know if NBA interp is same as high school/NCAA as far as defender breaking the inbound plane?
Old Tue May 03, 2016, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

I've read in two different places now that Waiters jumping before inbounding is a violation. Is the NBA rule different and actually prohibits this or are these guys wrong?
Old Tue May 03, 2016, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach View Post
I've read in two different places now that Waiters jumping before inbounding is a violation. Is the NBA rule different and actually prohibits this or are these guys wrong?
Seems like they could be correct:

NBA Rule 10

Section III—Thrower-in
A thrower-in shall not (1) carry the ball onto the court; (2) fail to release the ball within
5 seconds; (3) touch it on the court before it has touched another player; (4) leave the designated
throw-in spot; (5) throw the ball so that it enters the basket before touching anyone on
the court; (6) step on the court over the boundary line before the ball is released; (7) cause
the ball to go out-of-bounds without being touched by a player in the game; (8) leave the
playing surface to gain an advantage on a throw-in;
(9) hand the ball to a player on the court.
Old Tue May 03, 2016, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG_Ref View Post
(8) leave the
playing surface to gain an advantage on a throw-in;
I have got to believe that means that he can't climb on top of the scorer's table or stand on a chair in the first row. I doubt the writers intended that to mean jumping was illegal.
Old Tue May 03, 2016, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
I have got to believe that means that he can't climb on top of the scorer's table or stand on a chair in the first row. I doubt the writers intended that to mean jumping was illegal.
When you jump you leave the playing surface, so I'm guessing they wanted their feet planted on terrafirma.
Old Tue May 03, 2016, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
This is correct. Leaving the playing surface refers actions like going into the stands or climbing on a seat. It does not refer to simply jumping.

From the league:

Waiters (OKC) jumps during his inbound attempt, which is permissible under NBA interpretations of the relevant throw-in Rule No. 10, Section III, provided the player doesn’t leave the designated throw-in spot (laterally) or leave the playing surface (e.g., stepping into the stands) to gain an advantage.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue May 03, 2016, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficialBFish View Post
And does anyone know if NBA interp is same as high school/NCAA as far as defender breaking the inbound plane?
What do you mean? The NBA does not have a 3 foot rule requirement like NFHS. But unlike NCAA, the NBA interpretations state that a defender may only play up close to the line if there's enough room for the thrower. The NBA also penalizes the breaking of the plane with a DOG warning except when under two minutes in the game where a non unsportsmanlike technical foul is assessed immediately for this action.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Tue May 03, 2016, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post

From the league:

Waiters (OKC) jumps during his inbound attempt, which is permissible under NBA interpretations of the relevant throw-in Rule No. 10, Section III, provided the player doesn’t leave the designated throw-in spot (laterally) or leave the playing surface (e.g., stepping into the stands) to gain an advantage.
Where did you find this? I've seen too many people try to claim jumping during a throw-in is a violation and I want to show them the league's explanation.
Old Tue May 03, 2016, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

http://official.nba.com/wp-content/u...SAS-5-2-16.pdf

Old Tue May 03, 2016, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What do you mean? The NBA does not have a 3 foot rule requirement like NFHS. But unlike NCAA, the NBA interpretations state that a defender may only play up close to the line if there's enough room for the thrower. The NBA also penalizes the breaking of the plane with a DOG warning except when under two minutes in the game where a non unsportsmanlike technical foul is assessed immediately for this action.
I'm referring to how in NFHS no part of your body can break the vertical plane of the inbound line. I guess this rule doesn't apply in NBA? Ginobli's arms were clearly across the line
Old Tue May 03, 2016, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm referring to how in NFHS no part of your body can break the vertical plane of the inbound line. I guess this rule doesn't apply in NBA? Ginobli's arms were clearly across the line
It's the same under NBA rules.

Old Tue May 03, 2016, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's the same under NBA rules.
Just curious as to why there was no mention of that violation in the report.
Old Tue May 03, 2016, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just curious as to why there was no mention of that violation in the report.
It's mentioned in the report.

Q4 00:13.5 Violation: Delay of Game-Manu Ginobili

Comment: Ginobili (SAS) steps on the line while defending the inbounds play.

Old Tue May 03, 2016, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's mentioned in the report.

Q4 00:13.5 Violation: Delay of Game-Manu Ginobili

Comment: Ginobili (SAS) steps on the line while defending the inbounds play.
I read "stepped" to mean just his foot, I thought the arms crossed first and crossed further across the line. Guess it doesn't matter either way though. Just curious if the interp was the same, if the arms crossing was a violation or not.