The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Thunder vs Spurs Pt 2 (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/101315-thunder-vs-spurs-pt-2-a.html)

diehardmason Tue May 03, 2016 09:18am

Thunder vs Spurs Pt 2

According to NFHS rules

1. The easy part

Ginobli foot on the line is delay of game.

2. Hard part

What is the correct call for Waiters in bounding the ball and shoving Ginobli?

3. In not knowing what to call but knowing that a violation did occur should play have been blown and then play discussed?

Thunder vs. Spurs Referee Comments on Dion Waiters, Manu Ginobili Non-Foul Call | Bleacher Report

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OfficialBFish Tue May 03, 2016 10:09am

And does anyone know if NBA interp is same as high school/NCAA as far as defender breaking the inbound plane?

A Pennsylvania Coach Tue May 03, 2016 12:39pm

I've read in two different places now that Waiters jumping before inbounding is a violation. Is the NBA rule different and actually prohibits this or are these guys wrong?

PG_Ref Tue May 03, 2016 02:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach (Post 987076)
I've read in two different places now that Waiters jumping before inbounding is a violation. Is the NBA rule different and actually prohibits this or are these guys wrong?

Seems like they could be correct:

NBA Rule 10

Section III—Thrower-in
A thrower-in shall not (1) carry the ball onto the court; (2) fail to release the ball within
5 seconds; (3) touch it on the court before it has touched another player; (4) leave the designated
throw-in spot; (5) throw the ball so that it enters the basket before touching anyone on
the court; (6) step on the court over the boundary line before the ball is released; (7) cause
the ball to go out-of-bounds without being touched by a player in the game; (8) leave the
playing surface to gain an advantage on a throw-in;
(9) hand the ball to a player on the court.

Altor Tue May 03, 2016 02:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PG_Ref (Post 987080)
(8) leave the
playing surface to gain an advantage on a throw-in;

I have got to believe that means that he can't climb on top of the scorer's table or stand on a chair in the first row. I doubt the writers intended that to mean jumping was illegal.

deecee Tue May 03, 2016 02:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altor (Post 987081)
I have got to believe that means that he can't climb on top of the scorer's table or stand on a chair in the first row. I doubt the writers intended that to mean jumping was illegal.

When you jump you leave the playing surface, so I'm guessing they wanted their feet planted on terrafirma.

APG Tue May 03, 2016 03:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altor (Post 987081)

This is correct. Leaving the playing surface refers actions like going into the stands or climbing on a seat. It does not refer to simply jumping.

From the league:

Waiters (OKC) jumps during his inbound attempt, which is permissible under NBA interpretations of the relevant throw-in Rule No. 10, Section III, provided the player doesn’t leave the designated throw-in spot (laterally) or leave the playing surface (e.g., stepping into the stands) to gain an advantage.

APG Tue May 03, 2016 04:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OfficialBFish (Post 987052)
And does anyone know if NBA interp is same as high school/NCAA as far as defender breaking the inbound plane?

What do you mean? The NBA does not have a 3 foot rule requirement like NFHS. But unlike NCAA, the NBA interpretations state that a defender may only play up close to the line if there's enough room for the thrower. The NBA also penalizes the breaking of the plane with a DOG warning except when under two minutes in the game where a non unsportsmanlike technical foul is assessed immediately for this action.

NR33 Tue May 03, 2016 04:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 987085)

From the league:

Waiters (OKC) jumps during his inbound attempt, which is permissible under NBA interpretations of the relevant throw-in Rule No. 10, Section III, provided the player doesn’t leave the designated throw-in spot (laterally) or leave the playing surface (e.g., stepping into the stands) to gain an advantage.

Where did you find this? I've seen too many people try to claim jumping during a throw-in is a violation and I want to show them the league's explanation.

APG Tue May 03, 2016 05:40pm

http://official.nba.com/wp-content/u...SAS-5-2-16.pdf

OfficialBFish Tue May 03, 2016 10:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 987086)
What do you mean? The NBA does not have a 3 foot rule requirement like NFHS. But unlike NCAA, the NBA interpretations state that a defender may only play up close to the line if there's enough room for the thrower. The NBA also penalizes the breaking of the plane with a DOG warning except when under two minutes in the game where a non unsportsmanlike technical foul is assessed immediately for this action.

I'm referring to how in NFHS no part of your body can break the vertical plane of the inbound line. I guess this rule doesn't apply in NBA? Ginobli's arms were clearly across the line

APG Tue May 03, 2016 11:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OfficialBFish (Post 987095)
I'm referring to how in NFHS no part of your body can break the vertical plane of the inbound line. I guess this rule doesn't apply in NBA? Ginobli's arms were clearly across the line

It's the same under NBA rules.

OfficialBFish Tue May 03, 2016 11:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 987096)
It's the same under NBA rules.

Just curious as to why there was no mention of that violation in the report.

APG Tue May 03, 2016 11:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OfficialBFish (Post 987097)
Just curious as to why there was no mention of that violation in the report.

It's mentioned in the report.

Q4 00:13.5 Violation: Delay of Game-Manu Ginobili

Comment: Ginobili (SAS) steps on the line while defending the inbounds play.

OfficialBFish Tue May 03, 2016 11:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 987098)
It's mentioned in the report.

Q4 00:13.5 Violation: Delay of Game-Manu Ginobili

Comment: Ginobili (SAS) steps on the line while defending the inbounds play.

I read "stepped" to mean just his foot, I thought the arms crossed first and crossed further across the line. Guess it doesn't matter either way though. Just curious if the interp was the same, if the arms crossing was a violation or not.