The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 17, 2011, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

points of emphasis - I would like to see

If it were up to me here are two specific points of emphasis I would like to see.

1. 3 step travel on drives to the basket. And I know the travel rule and that it is based on the pivot foot but 3 steps without dribbling = travel. If I were a coach I would seriously consider teaching my players to take 3 steps on drives to the basket. It is rarely called and it is a huge advantage to the offensive player. I am seeing it at all levels. On a right hand layup player picks the ball up on his left foot and steps with his right foot and then jumps off left(pivot) foot for the layup. This is almost standard form now. Often a player uses the change of direction between steps since it is possible to do when taking 3 steps.

2. Above the waist crossover dribble. This I see mostly at higher levels. As a fan or ref it does not look like a big advantage but as a defensive player it is a huge advantage to the offense. A defender can have perfect defensive position and force the offensive player to cross over and the defender can have his hand in the place where the ball has to bounce but if the offensive player uses the above the waist crossover then the ball bounces on the other side of the defender. If you have not seen this play it has the offesive player dribbling on his right side and when the ball reaches hip level the offensive player places his hand under the ball and while maintaining contact with the ball pushes the ball above his waist and across his body to his left hip where he releases the ball.

One more point. On the 3 step travel, I find it easy to pickup from the stands or on TV. In two person which is all we do in my area, I find it very difficult to pick this up as lead. On drives to the basket my focus is more on offensive and defensive positioning and potential fouls. Obviously, I need to do a better job of picking this up but my point is this is not an easy call to make but it really needs to be made. Here is one instance in two person where I would welcome help(whistle) from my partner.
Old Fri Jun 17, 2011, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

what you've described as a "3 step travel" is actually only 2.

try training yourself to "count the steps after the player gathers the ball" (it isn't easy to do - but VERY effective once you master it). a retired NBA Finals official shared with me that this technique will help you identify when the dribble has ended - which is the key to determining if a travel occurs (once the dribble has ended - a pivot foot must be established - and a travels only occurs when the pivot foot rules are violated).

imho, the rule doesn't need to change - we simply have to enforce it better.
Old Fri Jun 17, 2011, 05:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Emphasize What ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopguy View Post
Above the waist crossover dribble.
What's illegal about this play?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Jun 17, 2011, 06:08pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
what you've described as a "3 step travel" is actually only 2.

try training yourself to "count the steps after the player gathers the ball" (it isn't easy to do - but VERY effective once you master it). a retired NBA Finals official shared with me that this technique will help you identify when the dribble has ended - which is the key to determining if a travel occurs (once the dribble has ended - a pivot foot must be established - and a travels only occurs when the pivot foot rules are violated).

imho, the rule doesn't need to change - we simply have to enforce it better.
The OP isn't suggesting a rule change. He is stating that he wishes this to be a Point of Emphasis. In other words, he wants the rule enforced better.

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Jun 17, 2011 at 11:30pm.
Old Fri Jun 17, 2011, 10:05pm
Back from the DL

1. Don't count steps. Simply identify the pivot foot, and look for it to come up and hit the floor again. There's your travel.

2. Did the dribble end? Did the ball come to rest in his/her hand(s) before continuing to dribble? Just look for this.
Old Sat Jun 18, 2011, 09:50am
Esteemed Forum Member

I Almost Forgot About This List ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Did the dribble end? Did the ball come to rest in his/her hand(s) before continuing to dribble? Just look for this.
Time for me to dust off the Mythbuster's list:

Palming or carrying is when the ball comes to rest in the player's hand, and the player either travels with the ball, or dribbles a second time. There is no restriction as to how high a player may bounce the ball, provided the ball does not come to rest in a player’s hand. Steps taken during a dribble are not traveling, including several that are sometimes taken when a high dribble takes place. It is not possible for a player to travel during a dribble.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)