The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 25, 2016, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Syracuse v. Gonzaga (video request)

Wow! Interesting ending from an officiating stand-point. Doug Sirmons as C called Trevor Cooney OOB on the endline!!! on a steal that looked like it was going to lock up the game for Syracuse. Video replay showed Cooney was clearly inbounds but the play was not reviewable. Good reminder to stay in your primary especially in those game critical moments. If it happens to someone as good as Sirmons it can certainly happen to us.

Play happened with :11 seconds left in the game.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2016, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Good official but his season is over.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2016, 11:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach View Post
Good official but his season is over.
Not necessarily, but either way I don't see a reason to speculate on this.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2016, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

10 second violation?

Very late in the game ( about 2 minutes remaining), Gonzaga was called for a 10 second violation. But there was a pass towards the front court. A Syracuse player who is in Gonzaga's front court, taps the ball back to a Gonzaga player. Shouldn't Gonzaga get a new 10 seconds?
Old Sat Mar 26, 2016, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

I only saw the play in real time and it appeared to me as well that it was touched in the front court before the shot clock hit 20 and yes that would result in a new 10 second count if 'Cuse bats back into Zag's backcourt (see rule 9.9.1). It may have been a miss or perhaps the ball wasn't touched in the front court before the 10 count expired. Would love to see a replay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sat Mar 26, 2016, 12:50am
Do not give a damn!!

Here is your play (Video)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
Very late in the game ( about 2 minutes remaining), Gonzaga was called for a 10 second violation. But there was a pass towards the front court. A Syracuse player who is in Gonzaga's front court, taps the ball back to a Gonzaga player. Shouldn't Gonzaga get a new 10 seconds?

Peace
Old Sat Mar 26, 2016, 01:25am
Do not give a damn!!

Here is the video to this play (Video)

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz View Post
Wow! Interesting ending from an officiating stand-point. Doug Sirmons as C called Trevor Cooney OOB on the endline!!! on a steal that looked like it was going to lock up the game for Syracuse. Video replay showed Cooney was clearly inbounds but the play was not reviewable. Good reminder to stay in your primary especially in those game critical moments. If it happens to someone as good as Sirmons it can certainly happen to us.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 26, 2016, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Ed Hightower

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz View Post

He was doing his best Ed Hightower imitation. Ed might have even made that call as a Trail official.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2016, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Could this have had an alternate fix, if not, why not

On the incorrect out of bounds call. First reaction is why is C making this call.
Next, was, it cost Syracuse the ball, (as Gonzaga awarded ball on own baseline) instead of Cooney at the other end shooting free throws.
Could this error have been semi-fixed by lead coming across and indicating not out of bounds, and C's whistle was inadvertent, and awarding Syracuse the ball on Gonzaga's baseline- no free throws as inadvertent whistle was before foul on Cooney.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2016, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

I thought the same thing as other officials I'm sure ... why is the C making an out of bounds call on the endline. As far as it not being in his primary ... the ball and players WERE in his primary in that corner. I believe the ball came off a rebound out to that corner so his eyes would be there. If you try to rationalize. .. The lead was just as far away maybe looking in the lane for rebound action (fouling on purpose stuff) or whatever. Tough angle and look for both officials to catch (and his foot was damn close) his foot on the line. Had to stop a closeup replay to be sure myself. So no one had a good look at it as it happened quickly. I mean if a tipped ball went out on the endline there I'm sure the lead would have stopped the clock and looked to the C for help.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2016, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

I thought the same thing as other officials I'm sure ... why is the C making an out of bounds call on the endline. As far as it not being in his primary ... the ball and players WERE in his primary in that corner. I believe the ball came off a rebound out to that corner so his eyes would be there. If you try to rationalize. .. The lead was just as far away maybe looking in the lane for rebound action (fouling on purpose stuff) or whatever. Tough angle and look for both officials to catch (and his foot was damn close) his foot on the line. Had to stop a closeup replay to be sure myself. So no one had a good look at it as it happened quickly. I mean if a tipped ball went out on the endline there I'm sure the lead would have stopped the clock and looked to the C for help.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2016, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=rbruno;985281]I thought the same thing as other officials I'm sure ... why is the C making an out of bounds call on the endline. As far as it not being in his primary ... the ball and players WERE in his primary in that corner. I believe the ball came off a rebound out to that corner so his eyes would be there. If you try to rationalize. .. The lead was just as far away maybe looking in the lane for rebound action (fouling on purpose stuff) or whatever. Tough angle and look for both officials to catch (and his foot was damn close) his foot on the line. Had to stop a closeup replay to be sure myself. So no one had a good look at it as it happened quickly. I mean if a tipped ball went out on the endline there I'm sure the lead would have stopped the clock and looked to the C for help.[/

That's right. The play was in his primary and he had the matchup. I didn't see the lead's position on this but it appears he was opposite so likely much further away than the C at FTL extended. Keep in mind the court is 50 feet wide.

All that don't call my line BS is just that. Yes, stay in your primary 99% of the time, but occasionally your partner will miss a call and will thank you for grabbing it. The official was trying to get the play right and from his angle it did appear that Cooney was OOB.

Look at it from the other side...let's say Cooney's foot was touching the line and he didn't make the call despite looking directly at the matchup. If the lead has no whistle then you should make the call. When we make calls outside of our primary they should be without question - a foul or violation that everyone in the building can see. You give the primary a chance to call it and if he doesn't you have a cadence whistle (slightly delayed). That's the mistake the official made in this instance. He thought he had the play right but it was not definitive. The teaching point here is, as always, don't guess!
Old Sat Mar 26, 2016, 06:13pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Peace
When that trap came near the division line, if the C steps back up towards the division line he may have saw it clearly. I'll remember in the future for myself if a play like this is happening. Referee the division line.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2016, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNJOfficial View Post

All that don't call my line BS is just that. Yes, stay in your primary 99% of the time, but occasionally your partner will miss a call and will thank you for grabbing it. The official was trying to get the play right and from his angle it did appear that Cooney was OOB.

The teaching point here is, as always, don't guess!
I agree that there is definitely a time to come out of your primary but this is definitely NOT one of them. The C called Cooney for stepping on the endline from above the FT line extended while relatively straightlined!! The C had to look through a defender and try to call a line that he's looking at from a 90* angle. Never a good idea. The L (new T), while admittedly farther away (he was middle of the lane) is looking right down the endline and can see this a whole lot better than the C. My question is why is the C looking down at the line?

My first thought when he blew the whistle (Syracuse fan btw) was utter shock, then I immediately said (out loud) he must have been way OOB if the C called it. I wonder how the L/T missed it? Then I saw the replay.

Either way this is NOT the call to trumpet the merits of coming out of your primary to make a call. As you say he, "tried to get the play right and from his angle it did appear that Cooney was OOB." This is exactly why it's not the C's call! He can't possibly know with any certainty if Cooney was OOB which is why it is particularly shocking that he blew the whistle when the L/T had a pretty good look at it.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2016, 06:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
When that trap came near the division line, if the C steps back up towards the division line he may have saw it clearly. I'll remember in the future for myself if a play like this is happening. Referee the division line.
If this play was missed who is going to get in trouble? The Lead, not the Center. The Center could not get an angle on this play. We have these situations happen to us all the time.

Peace