Here is some video with this play.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 24, 2016, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Peace
Ha, you shouldn't have posted that. We just got Adam and unigiantslayer off the edge of a tall building. Most painful loss I've EVER seen...
Old Thu Mar 24, 2016, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
I think this is a foul. Even without the push at the end, I think this is the cylinder play NCAA wants called. The video bulletin posted on arbiter several months ago discussed cylinder plays and I still struggle to pick these up. The difference between good trap defense and a foul is tough to distinguish, and for me, the gray area got a lot bigger with the mid season video bulletin.

With that said, I do think this is a foul. First for violating the offensive players cylinder and then for pushing and displacing him.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2016, 08:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Ha, you shouldn't have posted that. We just got Adam and unigiantslayer off the edge of a tall building. Most painful loss I've EVER seen...
I posted what was asked for review. I am actually rather neutral on the call or the situation. I have no issue with a foul not being called.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 24, 2016, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I posted what was asked for review. I am actually rather neutral on the call or the situation. I have no issue with a foul not being called.

Peace
I know. I was kidding. Not commenting about the play. Our Northern Iowa folks would just as soon forget the game. Tough, tough loss.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2016, 11:13pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
Should have been a foul on white 3. Using the this years new rule on an offensive cylinder, white clearly violated the UNI players cylinder and the bump that lead to the turnover, should have been a defensive foul. That being said, the UNI player could have made it a much easier play to officiate by simply stepping into the defensive player instead of continuing to lean further backwards.
I thought the same thing. The UNI player did himself no favors by continuing to give his ground though.
Old Sun Mar 27, 2016, 04:55pm
Courageous When Prudent

As for the And-1 Jamie Luckie made that has been criticized by most, including myself, I just saw an angle that clearly vindicates him. On the CBS Sports March Madness show I just saw the play from a camera that was on the far end line looking right down the middle of the court. The UNI defender jumps sideways into the ND player and his hip takes out the shooter's legs, which is why he landed awkwardly.
Old Sun Mar 27, 2016, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
As for the And-1 Jamie Luckie made that has been criticized by most, including myself, I just saw an angle that clearly vindicates him. On the CBS Sports March Madness show I just saw the play from a camera that was on the far end line looking right down the middle of the court. The UNI defender jumps sideways into the ND player and his hip takes out the shooter's legs, which is why he landed awkwardly.
When I watched the play live the first thought I had was the official got things backward. There was contact but not severe. Hold whistle and if ball goes in pass. If not, get it even late. The ball went in and then he blew. Doesn't matter. Refereeing is hard. 4 turnovers in 33 seconds is on UNI.
Old Sun Mar 27, 2016, 05:13pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
When I watched the play live the first thought I had was the official got things backward. There was contact but not severe. Hold whistle and if ball goes in pass. If not, get it even late. The ball went in and then he blew. Doesn't matter. Refereeing is hard. 4 turnovers in 33 seconds is on UNI.
UNI's turnovers are completely irrelevant to the discussion of this play. I leave the analysis of why UNI lost to the fans. I just know the camera angle I saw shows a clear foul on this play.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2016, 02:45am
Official Forum Member

Texas A+M / UNI

That was a foul on white 3 and should have been called. The stupidity of defenders in that situation always boggles my mind. You have the guy trapped in the corner and you just need to hold your ground and keep your hands up but instead you push and grab and turn an advantage to a foul in many of these situations. Just as we shouldn't hesitate to reward good defense, we also shouldn't hesitate to penalize bad defense that results in a foul. Shame on the C for not making a call there. It looks to me as if he is visually more focused on the offensive player than refereeing the defense.

Just to be clear, the shove at the end is beside the point. The ball handler is repeatedly fouled to the point where he can't maintain his pivot foot and then loses his balance. These things didn't happen on their own. They happened because of the contact by the defense. I don't see how that cannot be a foul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by NNJOfficial; Mon Mar 28, 2016 at 03:05am.