The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 21, 2016, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Texas A+M / UNI

Since the last post seemed to go off topic, I'll try to start something different here.

1. The last possession UNI had in the backcourt, where the player got trapped in the corner. Really tough play to officiate in my opinion. The C came down to help, Trail came across the court to get into position. I think there was a bump that was missed as the UNI player was going out of bounds, but wow, that was intense and hard to call anything one way or the other. Any thoughts on if this could have been handled any differently?

2. I thought this was a good example of a game that demonstrates why advancing the ball to the half court line (as with the NBA) should not be done in college. UNI was definitely constrained by being in the backcourt.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2016, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Looked like a push by B3 to me.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2016, 09:02am
Courageous When Prudent

I agree about advancing the ball, which is to the 28-foot foot line not division line. That excitement doesn't happen with that rule.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Old Mon Mar 21, 2016, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=packersowner;984806]Since the last post seemed to go off topic, I'll try to start something different here.

1. The last possession UNI had in the backcourt, where the player got trapped in the corner. Really tough play to officiate in my opinion. The C came down to help, Trail came across the court to get into position. I think there was a bump that was missed as the UNI player was going out of bounds, but wow, that was intense and hard to call anything one way or the other. Any thoughts on if this could have been handled any differently?

My post is below:

The player should have stood tall/strong with the ball instead of leaning away and allowing the trap to close/get tighter. He should have stepped through the trap strong. Then maybe there is firm contact and he gets a call. At the very least, throw the ball the length of the floor…..

Traps are hard for us/me because you have multiple hands/bodies to look at. There are also feet involved. I know at times I get too close trying to see the hands and lose track of the feet. I don't think the officials could have done anything different on that play. There was a slight bump but not enough to call imo. The player just didn't handle it right.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2016, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I agree about advancing the ball, which is to the 28-foot foot line not division line. That excitement doesn't happen with that rule.

No, the excitement comes from last second shots to win (which happens much more often than this situation ever will).
Old Mon Mar 21, 2016, 10:24am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncorrectCall View Post
No, the excitement comes from last second shots to win (which happens much more often than this situation ever will).
Maybe, but there's something to be said for making them earn it (Iowa kid here who had a devastating weekend.)
Old Mon Mar 21, 2016, 10:55am
Get away from me, Steve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go_4eGCDF6Q
Old Mon Mar 21, 2016, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the youtube clip of plays together. It helps me to understand why the officials at that level are so good. They call the game consistently throughout. Not bailing out the offense but allowing defenders in good positions to play defense and force offense to earn it. I am guilty of [at least I think I am] giving in to offense for a slight bump on occasion. I also like an earlier post of coaching offense to stand up straight and not even give defense more help by allowing them to close in.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2016, 04:49pm
beware big brother

Should have been a foul on white 3. Using the this years new rule on an offensive cylinder, white clearly violated the UNI players cylinder and the bump that lead to the turnover, should have been a defensive foul. That being said, the UNI player could have made it a much easier play to officiate by simply stepping into the defensive player instead of continuing to lean further backwards.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2016, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

I'm extremely biased, so I've withheld comment anytime someone brings this up to me, but any thoughts on the &1 called on Jesperson toward the end of regulation? Obviously any call that goes against UNI is garbage, so I'm just wondering if you guys would be right or wrong
Old Mon Mar 21, 2016, 06:32pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
I'm extremely biased, so I've withheld comment anytime someone brings this up to me, but any thoughts on the &1 called on Jesperson toward the end of regulation? Obviously any call that goes against UNI is garbage, so I'm just wondering if you guys would be right or wrong
I did not watch the entire game, only the last couple of minutes of regulation and the overtimes. I thought the contact on that play was incidental and most likely would not have had a foul. However, if similar plays were ruled fouls throughout the contest than I would find that an acceptable call.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2016, 06:32pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
It's impossible to win a game with both hands firmly wrapped around your own throat.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2016, 08:15pm
TODO: creative title here

Since the other thread got deleted, and my post with it, I'll restate what I said previously.

On the blocking foul, I thought the contact was pretty minor, and could've been let go, but it did appear to cause the shooter to land awkwardly, so I can understand why it was called.

On the throw-in/trap play, regardless of potential travel, foul or no foul, what struck me was the GREAT example of the C going where he needed to go to officiate the play. A lot of officials (and I include myself in that group) wouldn't have gone that deep into the backcourt to get the look, and he ended up all the way on the backcourt end line. Will definitely have to remember that when next season comes around.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2016, 08:19pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Since the other thread got deleted, and my post with it, I'll restate what I said previously.

On the blocking foul, I thought the contact was pretty minor, and could've been let go, but it did appear to cause the shooter to land awkwardly, so I can understand why it was called.

On the throw-in/trap play, regardless of potential travel, foul or no foul, what struck me was the GREAT example of the C going where he needed to go to officiate the play. A lot of officials (and I include myself in that group) wouldn't have gone that deep into the backcourt to get the look, and he ended up all the way on the backcourt end line. Will definitely have to remember that when next season comes around.
I have one supervisor who says get wherever you need to get to referee the play

Old Tue Mar 22, 2016, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
It's impossible to win a game with both hands firmly wrapped around your own throat.
I'm not sure we could reach that far up our #$% to reach our throats at that point. Our heads were pretty far up there at that point.