The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 14, 2016, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

What to do in this situation?

Team A is trailing by 4 points, A1 scores a basket with under 5 seconds left in the 4th quarter. In an attempt to stop the clock which will run to 0. A1 catches the ball under the net and holds it above his head to get the officials attention for a delay of game. Team A hasn't been warned yet for a delay of game warning.

What do you do?
Old Mon Mar 14, 2016, 09:46am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter14 View Post
Team A is trailing by 4 points, A1 scores a basket with under 5 seconds left in the 4th quarter. In an attempt to stop the clock which will run to 0. A1 catches the ball under the net and holds it above his head to get the officials attention for a delay of game. Team A hasn't been warned yet for a delay of game warning.

What do you do?
I think a technical foul is in order here.

Other DOGs come from players unintentionally violating, while this is totally intentional and could fall under on sportsmanlike.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Old Mon Mar 14, 2016, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

If B is trying to get the ball to make a throw in, call the T.

If not, let the clock run.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2016, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

There is an NFHS Case Book play on this exact situation. Just follow what it says.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2016, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

If you are referring to 10.1.5 Situation D, which is not specifically an end-of-game scenario. Regardless, the casebook play calls for a DOG warning, which stops the clock and thereby rewards A for its intentional violation. Bob's suggestions are, to me, quite practical, similar to passing on a slight touch foul when a team wants to foul intentionally.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2016, 10:35am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
If B is trying to get the ball to make a throw in, call the T.

If not, let the clock run.
This, find the case play Nevadaref motioned for verification.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2016, 10:36am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
If you are referring to 10.1.5 Situation D, which is not specifically an end-of-game scenario. Regardless, the casebook play calls for a DOG warning, which stops the clock and thereby rewards A for its intentional violation. Bob's suggestions are, to me, quite practical, similar to passing on a slight touch foul when a team wants to foul intentionally.
He's not, there's a case play that says to ignore the violation unless it actually gets in the way of a throw in. If that's the case, it says to skip to the T even if no warning had previously been issued.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2016, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
He's not, there's a case play that says to ignore the violation unless it actually gets in the way of a throw in. If that's the case, it says to skip to the T even if no warning had previously been issued.
Ok, thanks. Do you have a cite? I must be overlooking something. In any event, the case play says what Bob said.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2016, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
I think a technical foul is in order here.

Other DOGs come from players unintentionally violating, while this is totally intentional and could fall under on sportsmanlike.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
I agree a tech is called for if the other team is trying to get the ball.

Other DOG warnings, at least the ones I call after a basket, tend to be intentional. Majority of the time it's hitting the ball after the basket while they set up a press.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2016, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ok, thanks. Do you have a cite? I must be overlooking something. In any event, the case play says what Bob said.
Comment section--9.2.10A
Old Mon Mar 14, 2016, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

We get this question a couple of times each season.

9.2.10 SITUATION A:
A1 is out of bounds for a throw-in. B1 reaches through the boundary plane and knocks the ball out of A1's hands. Team B has not been warned previously for a throw-in plane infraction.
RULING: B1 is charged with a technical foul and it also results in the official having a team warning recorded and reported to the head coach.
COMMENT: In situations with the clock running and five or less seconds left in the game, a throw-in plane violation or interfering with the ball following a goal should be ignored if its only purpose is to stop the clock. However, if the tactic in any way interferes with the thrower's efforts to make a throw-in, a technical foul for delay shall be called even though no previous warning had been issued. In this situation, if the official stopped the clock and issued a team warning, it would allow the team to benefit from the tactic. (4-47-1; 10-1-5b, c; 10-3-10)
Old Mon Mar 14, 2016, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Thanks. And makes sense, common sense.
Old Tue Mar 15, 2016, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys!
Old Tue Mar 15, 2016, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I take the exact opposite approach here. If a team wants to foul intentionally at the end of a game, I'm much more inclined to call a touch foul to prevent them making a more physical foul to ensure it gets called.
Old Tue Mar 15, 2016, 12:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
I take the exact opposite approach here. If a team wants to foul intentionally at the end of a game, I'm much more inclined to call a touch foul to prevent them making a more physical foul to ensure it gets called.
That's a valid school of thought. Another is if the other team is trying to avoid the foul, don't call a foul when you wouldn't otherwise have called one.