The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 21, 2008, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

IF Situation

This weekend I had a situation where the IF was in effect and when it got to it's apex it appeared to me in my position as PU that the 2B was under it even though she was "In the Grass" but after it fell it did end up falling about 10 feet behind her and somewhat deeper than I would have liked for an IF call. At that point I had already called it and after the non-catch both runners on base advanced and I had runners on all three bases.

In this case, would you stick to your call of IF and send the BR to the dugout on the out (Which I did) or would you consider waving it off or even asking your partner? My thinking is since I made the call and everyone heard me make it then it is like calling a foul ball which can't be taken back once declared.
Old Mon Jul 21, 2008, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Your thinking is correct.
Old Mon Jul 21, 2008, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

You need to keep the call as an IF. Since an infielder had the opportunity to make a play on the ball with ordinary effort it is in effect. Even though the infielder wasn't real bright, when the ball was in flight she could have made the play with ordinary effort so you have an IF. Good call on your part IMO.
Old Mon Jul 21, 2008, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Ditto

Agree with all of the above. It wasn't a bunt or a line drive, so you can't wave it off as a mis-call. We as umps have to make this judgment without the benefit of seeing where the ball lands first. If you had an infield fly when it was at the apex, it's still an infield fly when it comes down, even if it's in the grass.

It makes much more sense to stay with the call in the moment, which means the offensive coach might be mad at you, than to reverse yourself and get both coaches thinking that you're a waffler.

Scott
Old Mon Jul 21, 2008, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Besides, once you call it, the batter and defense might react to the automatic out, so reversing would be unfair "jeopardy" to either.

The ball landing 10 feet beyond the fielder who was already deep makes "ordinary effort" a question, which I think the OP is implying. But it is ITUJ within and ordinary effort range, so the call was correct. I think we all have misjudged ordinary effort at some time, just like we all have missed a call of some kind.
Old Mon Jul 21, 2008, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Cecil has my OP meaning correct. At the time I made the call from my position, and the bright sun shining directly at me, it appeared as if the 2B was directly under the ball about 6 feet deep in the grass with her glove up in the standard "I got this" position. Only after the ball fell did I realize my perception was off and maybe it was a bit too deep.
Old Mon Jul 21, 2008, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Last year, I was just winding down the HS season, my previous game had been in the large school HS playoffs (IOW, pretty good teams), and my first travel ball tournament was 12U. I called the IF based on "ordinary effort" for HS large school varsity in a first game of the season for 12U players.

It was pretty much like the OP. And, like the OP, I lived with the call (and the explanation to the OC).

Sigh... it happens.
Old Mon Jul 21, 2008, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

I had pretty much this same call about a week ago.

Runners on first and second, one out. Batter hits high pop fly in vicinity of F4. This one wasn't so deep- just a few feet behind the baseline, well within the infield area.

At the apex, I call the Infield Fly. F4 is stationary, camped beneath the ball, glove overhead, in a standard position to make the catch. Both runners are tagging up.

And then...the ball lands just a few feet right behind F4! The usual Chinese fire drill breaks out- runners confused, coaches yelling. Both runners take off at the urging of their base coaches and reach the next base. The (already retired) batter-runner is now standing on first base.

At the end of the play, I call time and reiterate that the batter is out. The ofensive coach wasn't happy, but I stuck with the call and tried to explain it to him (I don't think he was getting it). His team seemed convinced that the big, bad umpire had robbed them of a base hit.

Maybe next time I'll just ignore the IFR and hope the defense turns a double play on this one!
Old Mon Jul 21, 2008, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukat
This weekend I had a situation where the IF was in effect and when it got to it's apex it appeared to me in my position as PU that the 2B was under it even though she was "In the Grass" but after it fell it did end up falling about 10 feet behind her and somewhat deeper than I would have liked for an IF call. At that point I had already called it and after the non-catch both runners on base advanced and I had runners on all three bases.

In this case, would you stick to your call of IF and send the BR to the dugout on the out (Which I did) or would you consider waving it off or even asking your partner? My thinking is since I made the call and everyone heard me make it then it is like calling a foul ball which can't be taken back once declared.
At that point I had already called it and after the non-catch both runners on base advanced and I had runners on all three bases.

If you invoked the Infield Fly Rule, how did THREE RUNNERS end up on base?

Bob
Old Mon Jul 21, 2008, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezebra
At that point I had already called it and after the non-catch both runners on base advanced and I had runners on all three bases.

If you invoked the Infield Fly Rule, how did THREE RUNNERS end up on base?

Bob
He meant temporarily, reread the OP, "stick to your call of IF and send the BR to the dugout on the out (Which I did) " phrase
Old Mon Jul 21, 2008, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

have to run but this play is covered in the ASA casebook. If you got with partner and decided that it was not ordinary effort, you can correct this. Of course my asa casebook is 2002-2003.

suggest all get ASA casebook. Then you can give answers like Irishmafia.