The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 29, 2004, 07:02am
Official Forum Member

Question

"Saw" this one happen the other day (at least I think I saw what happened, although I don't believe my eyes).

ASA 14U Fastpitch

Bases loaded, one out. First pitch to batter is a ball. Runner from first and second both attempt to steal. Runner on third takes a couple steps then returns to third. Defense realizes what is going on, throws to third, where runner from second is tagged. Umpire calls "OUT! TIME!" Defense/Offense doesn't hear it. Throw goes to second for an attempted play there. Runner from third breaks for home. Throw comes home, runner ruled "SAFE" by plate umpire. Ball is returned to circle.

Defensive coach comes to plate umpire saying base umpire had called TIME after out on attempted steal. What do you do? (Base umpire says he did call time)?

Thanks CD for the play.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2004, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Return all runners to positions reached at time of inadvertant TIME call. Runners now at second and third, same batter 1-0 count, and an embarressed BU.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2004, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Umpire calls "OUT! TIME!" Defense/Offense doesn't hear it.
Or, since both teams ignored the TIME call, allow the play to stand. Defensive just wants to use the umpire's mistake to take back his team's poor play.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2004, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:
Or, since both teams ignored the TIME call, allow the play to stand. Defensive just wants to use the umpire's mistake to take back his team's poor play.
Speaking ASA.

Don't think you can unring this bell. Obviously, someone heard the call if it was questioned. As a partner, the call is probably going to get my attention, so I would probably echo the call.

Especially if the umpire admits his mistake, the correct thing to do is nullify all action after the BU called time.

Old Thu Jan 29, 2004, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:
Speaking ASA.

Don't think you can unring this bell. Obviously, someone heard the call if it was questioned. As a partner, the call is probably going to get my attention, so I would probably echo the call.

Especially if the umpire admits his mistake, the correct thing to do is nullify all action after the BU called time.

Agreed, Mike, except I was taking the written scenario literally as written - neither offense nor defense heard the call. Of course, the PU's loud echo would settle the matter completely.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2004, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Not much you can do after time has been called, except find out from the dummy why he/she called time after the game.
NIF
Old Thu Jan 29, 2004, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Del-Blue
Not much you can do after time has been called, except find out from the dummy why he/she called time after the game.
Yeah! Any you know what that "dummy" better have when I get there?

Old Thu Jan 29, 2004, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Agreed, Mike. Is that a pony bottle that filled that little glass?