The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 23, 2016, 11:39pm
C'mon man!!

Without looking, I believe it is 1 free throw for each foul.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old Thu Mar 24, 2016, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
If you can explain to a coach in less then 20 seconds how you're going to administer this, go ahead.

I called a MF once when I was a smart-@$$ rookie who thought I knew the rulebook better than anyone else. Let's just say feedback from an evaluator after the game was....enlightening.
Reminds me of my early years - I think second or third - when I thought about calling a double foul in one of those case book "A1 is fouled by B1 in the act of shooting then displaces B2 who had legal guarding position" plays. I had just seen the play in the case book an hour before the game. I thought about the situation for a hot second and then said to myself, "Nah. I don't think this will end very well."
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Thu Mar 24, 2016, 10:01am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Reminds me of my early years - I think second or third - when I thought about calling a double foul in one of those case book "A1 is fouled by B1 in the act of shooting then displaces B2 who had legal guarding position" plays. I had just seen the play in the case book an hour before the game. I thought about the situation for a hot second and then said to myself, "Nah. I don't think this will end very well."
Yup. And yet the NFHS will have 4 questions about multiple fouls and false-double-anythings on the exams every freaking time.

The odds of me calling a multiple foul are similar to the odds of me walking on the moon.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2016, 10:25am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
But, for the sake of rules trivia, say you did call a MF here. How would you administer the penalty?
I believe the penalty is I have to buy two round of beer for both of my partners.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2016, 10:53am
Get away from me, Steve.

I was working a first round boys playoff game a few weeks ago.

I called a blocking foul in the backcourt and the coach decided to tell me what he thought of the call. Of course, the throw-in was right at his bench (no way to do it elsewhere without making stuff up) and as he's talking and I'm trying to get the ball back in so I don't have to engage his foolishness as the game was already an ugly blowout. Then the opposing player said something to the coach about him being wrong. The coach said something back.

I told them both to knock it off. The coach had this look of "how dare a player talk to me" and I'm thinking "I agree with the player." Anyhow, at halftime, I said to my partners, "So, if I call a double technical there, how will it be enforced?"

Partner said, "By yourself. We both would've left." They would've had to steal my car. I drove.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2016, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I was working a first round boys playoff game a few weeks ago.

I called a blocking foul in the backcourt and the coach decided to tell me what he thought of the call. Of course, the throw-in was right at his bench (no way to do it elsewhere without making stuff up) and as he's talking and I'm trying to get the ball back in so I don't have to engage his foolishness as the game was already an ugly blowout. Then the opposing player said something to the coach about him being wrong. The coach said something back.

I told them both to knock it off. The coach had this look of "how dare a player talk to me" and I'm thinking "I agree with the player." Anyhow, at halftime, I said to my partners, "So, if I call a double technical there, how will it be enforced?"

Partner said, "By yourself. We both would've left." They would've had to steal my car. I drove.
I've called double technicals before. Everyone should know how to administer that. Very different from the play referenced above that is never called (and shouldn't be called).
Old Thu Mar 24, 2016, 11:21am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgc99 View Post
I've called double technicals before. Everyone should know how to administer that. Very different from the play referenced above that is never called (and shouldn't be called).
Have you ever had one between a player and a head coach?

I agree that the administration is easy.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2016, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

No, I'll give you that. I've never had one between a player and a head coach.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2016, 11:49am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgc99 View Post
No, I'll give you that. I've never had one between a player and a head coach.
I almost had one. Visiting player earned one and took a quick second to settle down after I called it. We were right in front of the home bench, and the home coach got excited "Give him another one!" One quick glance and he settled down, too.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2016, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I almost had one. Visiting player earned one and took a quick second to settle down after I called it. We were right in front of the home bench, and the home coach got excited "Give him another one!" One quick glance and he settled down, too.
A long time ago, I was on a game where we didn't immediately recognize that the visiting coach had thrown his clipboard and broke his marker. Little plastic bits exploded and littered the floor. This happened while we were on the other half of the court, so we weren't paying much attention to his bench area at the time and it was a packed house so we couldn't hear it either.

Before we could respond, the athletic director from the home team came rushing onto the court saying "You have to T him up! You have to T him up!"

One of my more unforgettable games...
Old Thu Mar 24, 2016, 12:45pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

My partner had one between two head coaches in Juco game this year.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Mar 24, 2016 at 11:29pm.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2016, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
My partner has one between two head coaches in Juco game this year.

Yeah, that happened to me once, too. JV game in California a few years back. One coach showed up about a minute before tip, the other coach made a snide remark about it in the middle of the first quarter ("well, at least I bothered to show up on time!"), and then it was on. Back and forth subtle (but audible) digs for the next three minutes. Finally I had enough and double-T'd them.

Sat them both down and didn't have another issue the rest of the game.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2016, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yup. And yet the NFHS will have 4 questions about multiple fouls and false-double-anythings on the exams every freaking time.

The odds of me calling a multiple foul are similar to the odds of me walking on the moon.
Same here now that I learned my lesson.

I hate the unrealistic test questions, too. But, separate from that I've come to realize that understanding the administration of DFs and MFs is important in the unlikely event of blarges or perhaps two officials going to the table and reporting fouls on different players from the same team....without realizing they're both reporting something until it's too late.

To put it another way, would you ever call a MF by yourself? No. But if you unwittingly do it as a crew, there's a process for that so that you can at least avoid compounding crappy mechanics with improvised penalty administration.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2016, 11:31pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Yeah, that happened to me once, too. JV game in California a few years back. One coach showed up about a minute before tip, the other coach made a snide remark about it in the middle of the first quarter ("well, at least I bothered to show up on time!"), and then it was on. Back and forth subtle (but audible) digs for the next three minutes. Finally I had enough and double-T'd them.

Sat them both down and didn't have another issue the rest of the game.
My game was similar in that there was pregame animosity between the coaches. My partner who called it is from your board.