The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 18, 2016, 01:26am
Official Forum Member

BLARGE in UCONN/Colorado game

Does anyone have video clip of the play early in UCONN/Colorado game?

Lead calls block and Center calls offensive foul at same time when UCONN player was driving to the basket. According to the box score both fouls were reported and UCONN was given the ball for a throw in.
Old Fri Mar 18, 2016, 02:01am
Official Forum Member

Do you mean the play-by-play instead of the box score?
Old Fri Mar 18, 2016, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Correct. The play-by-play was stapled to the box score So I went with that.
Old Fri Mar 18, 2016, 10:26am
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo View Post

Lead calls block and Center calls offensive foul at same time when UCONN player was driving to the basket. According to the box score both fouls were reported and UCONN was given the ball for a throw in.
If it happened the way you describe, what is the problem?
Old Sat Mar 19, 2016, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

No problem at all.

I thought it would be good to see the play. It is something most officials talk/pregame about trying to avoid.

Two whistles on a play and holding and letting one take it, etc...

And to actually see a BLARGE called it could be a good aid for future.
Old Sat Mar 19, 2016, 04:40pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo View Post
No problem at all.

I thought it would be good to see the play. It is something most officials talk/pregame about trying to avoid.

Two whistles on a play and holding and letting one take it, etc...

And to actually see a BLARGE called it could be a good aid for future.
Blarges do not happen because of a lack of pregame discussion, they happen because officials lose their discipline at the time of the play.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Old Sat Mar 19, 2016, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Blarges do not happen because of a lack of pregame discussion, they happen because officials lose their discipline at the time of the play.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
It is because of this play is one of the reasons James Breeding is the "alternate" sitting at the table and not working on the floor today.
Old Sat Mar 19, 2016, 05:30pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Block/Charge ...

Quote:
When a block/charge situation occurs, with double whistles, I'm really good at not giving a preliminary signal until making eye contact with my partner, and remembering what we discussed regarding handling this situation in our pregame conference (usually the lead).

Problems can arise when the crowd is very loud, or our two whistles are sounded at the same exact time, I don't hear my partner's whistle, and I want to sell my call with a strong preliminary signal (especially when I'm the lead).

Knock on wood, thirty-five years and no blarges, but there can always be a first time.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Mar 19, 2016 at 05:54pm.
Old Sat Mar 19, 2016, 06:01pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoopref View Post
It is because of this play is one of the reasons James Breeding is the "alternate" sitting at the table and not working on the floor today.
You have direct knowledge that Breeding was pulled from a game today? Because officials assignments for all this weekend's games are known before the 1st round starts. Officials already know going into their first round game whether they'll be working 1 game or 2.
Old Sat Mar 19, 2016, 06:07pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
You have direct knowledge that Breeding was pulled from a game today? Because officials assignments for all this weekend's games are known before the 1st round starts. Officials already know going into their first round game whether they'll be working 1 game or 2.
I'm interested in the answer to this question myself.

(By the way, if it's just speculation, then this is the type of crap this site doesn't need.)
Old Sat Mar 19, 2016, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When officials receive their assignments for the NCAA Tournament for the 1st round, they are told if they are staying for 1 or 2 days. The ones who are assigned "2 days" are then graded (by site coordinators and NCAA staff) on their 1st game as whether they work on the floor or sit at the table as an alternate. Officials were informed (the following day) by a call from JD Collins as to their Day 2 assignment; on the floor or the table.
Old Sat Mar 19, 2016, 06:22pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
When officials receive their assignments for the NCAA Tournament for the 1st round, they are told if they are staying for 1 or 2 days. The ones who are assigned "2 days" are then graded (by site coordinators and NCAA staff) on their 1st game as whether they work on the floor or sit at the table as an alternate. Officials were informed (the following day) by a call from JD Collins as to their Day 2 assignment; on the floor or the table.
Breeding already worked 2 games this week. Could that not have something to do with him being on the table for the second round game?
Old Sat Mar 19, 2016, 06:30pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I'm still asking, do you have credible knowledge that this is the reason Breeding is an alternate instead of being on the floor?

If so, maybe it was his grade for the entirety of his work, not just a single blarge call. I was critical of his effort in the First Four game, so it's not like I'm saying it is not possible. But your post makes it seem as if you know that he was sat down b/c of a blarge call in his game.

Last edited by Raymond; Sat Mar 19, 2016 at 06:33pm.
Old Sat Mar 19, 2016, 06:31pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I'm still asking, do you have direct knowledge that this is the reason Breeding is an alternate instead of being on the floor?
Yes, put up or shut up, please.

Do you have inside information or not?
Old Sun Mar 20, 2016, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm still asking, do you have credible knowledge that this is the reason Breeding is an alternate instead of being on the floor?

If so, maybe it was his grade for the entirety of his work, not just a single blarge call. I was critical of his effort in the First Four game, so it's not like I'm saying it is not possible. But your post makes it seem as if you know that he was sat down b/c of a blarge call in his game.
Yes; I stand by the information as directly credible. The site committee had issues with either the call or the adjudication of the penalty; I have not seen this play and would like to see a clip of it in it's entirety.

As for the "entirety of his work", if I recall correctly, Breeding was involved in another type of "blarge" play in the Play-In game at Dayton, Vanderbilt vs Wichita St.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
11:27 first half, blarge of sorts. Lead official signals off-ball post foul on defender, Slot ships it.
IMO, having 2 "blarges" in 2 separate games is not a good thing when working the NCAA tournament and hoping to advance. I happen to think Breeding is a very good official who has excellent call selection. Sometimes we as officials have a difficult stretch of calls and he happened to do it on a very big stage with many scrutinizing eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Yes, put up or shut up, please.

Do you have inside information or not?
How would I exactly do that? Would you like me to tell you how I know what took place? Reveal the source?

I stand by the history of my posts as being accurate, respectful, and non-combative.