Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 11, 2016, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post
I don't think you're being serious, but if you are, shame on you. A big part of this job is integrity, and not reporting all your income flies right in the face of that. And if you're making that much money, the schools should be sending you 1099s, which the IRS receives copies of and will find out if you don't file them. So, I'm not really inclined that you make this much money and get away with tax fraud.
Preach much?
Old Fri Mar 11, 2016, 09:52am
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Referee View Post
Preach much?
Well, he's not wrong.
Old Fri Mar 11, 2016, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

2000.00 in 1099's minus mileage,meals,uniforms covers that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Fri Mar 11, 2016, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbendon View Post

I imagine it is....if you're willing to cheat.

Justify it however you'd like, you're a cheater. Most cheaters are at least discrete enough not to brag about it.
Old Fri Mar 11, 2016, 11:22am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Well that is no different that a lot of people in this country. You will make more money than working at McDonald's for sure.

But that being said it is not the best way to go for the long term for sure.

Peace
yep, and no one is supposed to make a career out of McDonald's unless he or she is moving into management.
Old Fri Mar 11, 2016, 11:28am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbendon View Post

I'm saying this in the interest of other officials who may be reading this.

You're completely wrong and completely exposed to audit. Legally, you're required to report everything you make, whether or not it comes in the form of cash or check, and whether or not you get a 1099. You may or may not agree with how it should be, but that's how it is.
Old Fri Mar 11, 2016, 11:39am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
yep, and no one is supposed to make a career out of McDonald's unless he or she is moving into management.
Very true, but not all jobs, even the so-called good ones pay benefits or give a great salary.

A lot of officials use officiating as a bridge for other things like for another job, going to school and paying for college for their kids or even travel.

All of those things I have personally seen people used and even in different periods of time I have done the same.

Now it is harder to do when you are only doing one sport, but if you do 3 like I did, you can make a little bit of money.

Lacrosse, baseball and even youth sports can add a lot to your income if you do not pass out first.

Peace
Old Fri Mar 11, 2016, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You're completely wrong and completely exposed to audit. Legally, you're required to report everything you make, whether or not it comes in the form of cash or check, and whether or not you get a 1099. You may or may not agree with how it should be, but that's how it is.
And I bet he complains about "rich" people not paying enough taxes.
Old Fri Mar 11, 2016, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Well, he's not wrong.
By law? Yes, but to compare our integrity for what we do on the court with our integrity when it comes to reporting our earnings is a stretch and a "holier than thou" attitude. Report them if you want to and if it makes you feel better that you are following the law. We are taxed enough in this country and our tax dollars are not wisely spent. If somebody doesn't want to report their earnings, that's their choice. Let's just not try to put it into the same category as our on court integrity. That's ridiculous!!!

Do you, I, or any poster on here report fantasy sports winnings? They are income and should be reported as well. I bet NOBODY on here reports those winnings. Where's the integrity?????????
Old Fri Mar 11, 2016, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

By law, you are absolutely correct. NO question.

Take a poll, private if you like, and find out how many refs report their income. I think you will find it to be very low.

If you are doing D1 college, I get it. You are a bigger target for an audit. Doing strictly high school? The IRS has no idea who you are, what you are doing, and how much you make unless you get a 1099. You have to earn $600 in a calendar year from one school to get a 1099 from them.

Once again, how many of you report fantasy sports winnings? That is considered to be income by the IRS and you should report that as well. Those of you chastising others for being a "cheater" and not having integrity, better have all of your income on your 1040 before you sling mud.
Old Fri Mar 11, 2016, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Very true, but not all jobs, even the so-called good ones pay benefits or give a great salary.

A lot of officials use officiating as a bridge for other things like for another job, going to school and paying for college for their kids or even travel.

All of those things I have personally seen people used and even in different periods of time I have done the same.

Now it is harder to do when you are only doing one sport, but if you do 3 like I did, you can make a little bit of money.

Lacrosse, baseball and even youth sports can add a lot to your income if you do not pass out first.

Peace
I hear ya.

My kids will be going to college someday from my referee earnings. Put all of my profit into 529 plans for my kids. Every year.
Old Fri Mar 11, 2016, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

As I said above, you are 100% correct.

On the other hand, after having worked in the tax world, the government has NO idea about your referee earnings unless you get a 1099. Even then, they only know about the money that was reported on a 1099. If you didn't get a 1099 or you were paid cash, the IRS has no clue about the income. They could never prove you received anything other than what was on the 1099. The audit exposure is very low.

Before anybody accuses me of being an advocate of cheating, that's not what I'm doing. I'm simply giving information to officials about the IRS. What they do with the information and their money is up to them.
Old Fri Mar 11, 2016, 12:48pm
High Five Master

I gave up fantasy sports because I never won
Thanks for rubbing it in
Old Fri Mar 11, 2016, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
By law? Yes, but to compare our integrity for what we do on the court with our integrity when it comes to reporting our earnings is a stretch and a "holier than thou" attitude. Report them if you want to and if it makes you feel better that you are following the law. We are taxed enough in this country and our tax dollars are not wisely spent. If somebody doesn't want to report their earnings, that's their choice. Let's just not try to put it into the same category as our on court integrity. That's ridiculous!!!

Do you, I, or any poster on here report fantasy sports winnings? They are income and should be reported as well. I bet NOBODY on here reports those winnings. Where's the integrity?????????

I couldn't disagree more. Way to justify your own cheating.

Once you've lost credibility in one area, you've lost it everywhere in my book.

Last edited by Adam; Fri Mar 11, 2016 at 01:29pm. Reason: No need for what I edited out
Old Fri Mar 11, 2016, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As I said above, you are 100% correct.

On the other hand, after having worked in the tax world, the government has NO idea about your referee earnings unless you get a 1099. Even then, they only know about the money that was reported on a 1099. If you didn't get a 1099 or you were paid cash, the IRS has no clue about the income. They could never prove you received anything other than what was on the 1099. The audit exposure is very low.

Before anybody accuses me of being an advocate of cheating, that's not what I'm doing. I'm simply giving information to officials about the IRS. What they do with the information and their money is up to them.
Of course you are advocating cheating. You can tell yourself you aren't till you're blue in the face, but it is exactly what you are doing. This cheating is why the IRS keeps working to make 1099 rules stricter -- which imposes extra costs to catch cheaters. Funny how people who are getting paid from tax dollars (i.e. public schools) are so reluctant to pay their taxes . . .
Closed Thread