The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 08, 2016, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

Cool Radio Announcer Tossed

Green Bay announcer ejected during Horizon League tournament game

Never seen something like this before...
Old Tue Mar 08, 2016, 07:03am
Official Forum Member

Ridiculous move by the official. Don't get me wrong, I cringe whenever I hear the likes of Vitale and Bilas butcher a rule, but this is just stupid.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2016, 10:57am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I can tell you if someone at the table is behaving like that in a high school game, he's likely going to be shown the door.

I'm guessing he wasn't doing any more waving when he came back to the booth.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2016, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I can tell you if someone at the table is behaving like that in a high school game, he's likely going to be shown the door.

I'm guessing he wasn't doing any more waving when he came back to the booth.
If I warn the guy likely is turning into definite.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2016, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by constable View Post
Ridiculous move by the official. Don't get me wrong, I cringe whenever I hear the likes of Vitale and Bilas butcher a rule, but this is just stupid.
I don't know about this, I would absolutely do it too. If the guy is at the table, then he's not going to make a show about my calls, and that's it. The only thing that really surprised me here is that he was allowed back, I'm curious how that occurred.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2016, 11:56am
AremRed

I checked bbstate (website is down), ESPN.com (didn't have box score) and the Green Bay and Valparaiso athletic department websites (officials were not listed in box score) and found absolutely zilch on who these guys were. I smell a coverup.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2016, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
I don't know about this, I would absolutely do it too. If the guy is at the table, then he's not going to make a show about my calls, and that's it. The only thing that really surprised me here is that he was allowed back, I'm curious how that occurred.
The radio guy was the only guy Green Bay had - so it was radio silence. The commissioner checked with the coordinator and decided it was in best interest to let him back with the coordinator as chaperone for a little bit to make sure he behaved. The league media guy was involved too. The announcer has a history of being a good citizen.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2016, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I checked bbstate (website is down), ESPN.com (didn't have box score) and the Green Bay and Valparaiso athletic department websites (officials were not listed in box score) and found absolutely zilch on who these guys were. I smell a coverup.
Pat Adams was the official who went to the table and mimicked the gestures that the radio announcer did and had him removed. Doug Sirmons was also on the game. Mike Roberts was the third. The names are listed in the video at the link below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoInZebra View Post
The radio guy was the only guy Green Bay had - so it was radio silence. The commissioner checked with the coordinator and decided it was in best interest to let him back with the coordinator as chaperone for a little bit to make sure he behaved. The league media guy was involved too. The announcer has a history of being a good citizen.
The article which I read stated that a broadcaster from another school (Oakland) jumped in for him while he was gone. There is no reason that he couldn't have finished the contest. The incident occurred with 12:29 remaining in the 2nd half and the game went to OT.
This Play-By-Play Announcer Was Ejected After Arguing With A Ref
Old Tue Mar 08, 2016, 01:36pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Pat Adams was the official who went to the table and mimicked the gestures that the radio announcer did and had him removed. Doug Sirmons was also on the game. Mike Roberts was the third. The names are listed in the video at the link below.
Yeah I ended up watching the video online and could tell who they were. Wanna bet it was Sirmons again?
Old Tue Mar 08, 2016, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yeah I ended up watching the video online and could tell who they were. Wanna bet it was Sirmons again?
I'd do well in that bet since I just told you it was Pat Adams.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2016, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by constable View Post
Why is it stupid to expect that personnel sitting at the table will act like professionals and not fanboys?

If you're sitting on press row you do not get to act like he did without repercussions. Period.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2016, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not sure what your vendetta is with an official who's worked the Final Four multiple times.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2016, 02:14pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I see this same kind of behavior from media on Twitter locally (I live in a B1G city). They see nothing wrong with it. They think their job allows them to complain constantly about the officiating and be unabashed homers whenever they want.

Media people used to be more professional than this.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2016, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I see this same kind of behavior from media on Twitter locally (I live in a B1G city). They see nothing wrong with it. They think their job allows them to complain constantly about the officiating and be unabashed homers whenever they want.

Media people used to be more professional than this.
A local sports reporter did exactly that on Twitter in a recent HS game in my area. He was disrespectful to the officials working the contest and unprofessional.

I'm certain that he enters the building for free with a media pass. I think that it would be great if the leadership of the officiating group would contact his employing company and express a concern about his social media behavior. I would even ask that they send a different reporter to cover future HS contests with their media credential.

How amusing would it be for him to get ejected and have to buy a ticket to get back in?
Old Tue Mar 08, 2016, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Not sure what your vendetta is with an official who's worked the Final Four multiple times.
SC -

I find it amusing on this site that around this time of year there is a lot of bashing on guys that are going to most likely get to the regional semis and finals......but I don't know why.