The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 08, 2016, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Not sure what your vendetta is with an official who's worked the Final Four multiple times.
That's tantamount to asking what's his issue with some CEO of a multi-million dollar company. Success in one's field doesn't exclude the individual from being a jerk.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2016, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
SC -

I find it amusing on this site that around this time of year there is a lot of bashing on guys that are going to most likely get to the regional semis and finals......but I don't know why.
Funny how that works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
That's tantamount to asking what's his issue with some CEO of a multi-million dollar company. Success in one's field doesn't exclude the individual from being a jerk.
My point was the AremRed trashed Sirmons on the Calipari thread a few weeks ago and is now "wants to bet" that Sirmons is the official that dismissed the announcer (which he wasn't). I think the way Sirmons handles business is just fine given his history of postseason advancement.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2016, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My point was the AremRed trashed Sirmons on the Calipari thread a few weeks ago and is now "wants to bet" that Sirmons is the official that dismissed the announcer (which he wasn't). I think the way Sirmons handles business is just fine given his history of postseason advancement.
That may be true. Now if his criticism were of Karl Hess...
Old Tue Mar 08, 2016, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by constable View Post
Ridiculous move by the official. Don't get me wrong, I cringe whenever I hear the likes of Vitale and Bilas butcher a rule, but this is just stupid.
So...as a guy who works in the media and *has* done play-by-play from courtside at basketball games I have to agree with Constable

I have no idea what the broadcaster said and I don't condone acting the fool when doing a game, especially if you're close enough that players, coaches and officials can hear and see you. However, there's no rule justification for an official to kick a broadcaster out of the playing area any more than there is for an official - on his/her own - to kick a fan out of the playing area for saying their calls stink. If there's an issue, tell game management and let those folks deal with it. Game management will get in contact with the broadcast people, the conference representative or the broadcaster himself and straighten out the situation. The broadcaster isn't a team member so we don't have jurisdiction over him.

As to why he was allowed back in that's simple, at least to me. His station - and the advertisers on the broadcast - are paying for *him* to do the game, not the guy from Oakland University who stepped in to help. Radio silence = lost revenue. His station will deal with the situation if it sees fit.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)

Last edited by JetMetFan; Wed Mar 09, 2016 at 07:39am.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2016, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

I disagree completely. Anyone causing a disturbance or disrupting those involved in the game should be removed.
I don't know where you got the idea that the official went and removed the radio guy. Watch the video. He clearly reported to someone behind the scorer what he did and instructed that person or persons to remove him.
Lastly, I don't give a darn how much he is being paid or others paid for him to be there. If he behaves poorly, he leaves and they can find a replacement or lose out on their bad investment.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2016, 09:01pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
OK, that video showed me nothing but Adams waving his arms and gesturing. I couldn't find the person at the table doing it.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2016, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I see this same kind of behavior from media on Twitter locally (I live in a B1G city). They see nothing wrong with it. They think their job allows them to complain constantly about the officiating and be unabashed homers whenever they want.

Media people used to be more professional than this.
The media also criticizes teams, players, coaches, AD's, etc. They seem to be able to handle it. Oddly, they are even asked and take questions from the media about things right after games. I guess some are above criticism though or can't handle it. I don't know why some want to shy away from accountability or think they can't improve.

The games are happening because of the players, coaches, schools..not the officials games and that's what people want to see. People and players are tired of 40 foul games that are decided by free throws and foul outs, they want to see players win games.

Pat Adams may be a great person but he's repeatedly shown he can't handle emotions that happen from competition and human beings and for whatever...and he can't mentally focus on what he needs to without getting his feelings hurt. It's okay to be questioned..no one should think they are above reproach.

Absolutely no accountability in the paycheck collecting world of contract work. Where everyone feels they can insert themselves and have no repercussions in the good ole boy network

Last edited by Krr25; Tue Mar 08, 2016 at 10:31pm.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2016, 10:33pm
AremRed

Quote:
Funny how that works.

Go back and check the tape. I didn't trash Sirmons then and I'm not trashing Sirmons now. My comment above was tongue-in-cheek. I think Sirmons is a great official. He is one of my favorite guys to watch and I have stolen several of his mechanics. That doesn't prevent me from questioning (not trashing) his handling of the Calipari situation.

Saying "the way Sirmons handles business is fine cuz of how high he has work" is inherently fallacious. It's akin to the Euthyphro dilemma of "Is something right because God commanded it, or does God command it because it is right?" It's not wrong to question an official because he's worked multiple Final Fours -- not one of us is above reproach and there is something we can learn from every situation.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2016, 10:37pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krr25 View Post
The games are happening because of the players, coaches, schools..not the officials games and that's what people want to see. People and players are tired of 40 foul games that are decided by free throws and foul outs, they want to see players win games.
Officials are there to see to it that rules are followed and the game is therefore fair. If doing that leads to a lot of fouls and free throws the problem is NOT the officials but the players or the rules themselves.

I'm not defending this officials actions, but I'm absolutely defending officials in general from ignorant statements like this.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Old Tue Mar 08, 2016, 11:20pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
The media also criticizes teams, players, coaches, AD's, etc. They seem to be able to handle it. Oddly, they are even asked and take questions from the media about things right after games. I guess some are above criticism though or can't handle it. I don't know why some want to shy away from accountability or think they can't improve.

Pat Adams may be a great person but he's repeatedly shown he can't handle emotions that happen from competition and human beings and for whatever...and he can't mentally focus on what he needs to without getting his feelings hurt. It's okay to be questioned..no one should think they are above reproach.

Absolutely no accountability in the paycheck collecting world of contract work. Where everyone feels they can insert themselves and have no repercussions in the good ole boy network
I'm not exactly sure who your rant is directed at. The NCAA and its coaches wanted the game cleaned up. If there are 40 fouls per game called, it's because that's what the teams/coaches/leagues/NCAA wants.

The conference hires the officials. Surely if the teams are *that* unhappy with the work, they'll ask their supervisor of officials to hire others....or they'll get a new supervisor of officials. I'm guessing they're thrilled to have officials like Pat Adams working for them.

It's fine to question officials. However, when local media do nothing but question calls that go against the home team, that just strikes me as completely idiotic. Frankly, I can't believe that people believe that bullcrap.

At least the national announcers are equal opportunity offenders.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2016, 11:49pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Another clown who knows nothing about how the rules are written and who dictates points of emphasis. Just running your trap. Thank you for watching NCAA basketball.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Old Tue Mar 08, 2016, 11:50pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Another clown who knows nothing about how the rules are written and who dictates points of emphasis. Just running your trap. Thank you for watching NCAA basketball.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
It must be March.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2016, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Go back and check the tape. I didn't trash Sirmons then and I'm not trashing Sirmons now. My comment above was tongue-in-cheek. I think Sirmons is a great official. He is one of my favorite guys to watch and I have stolen several of his mechanics. That doesn't prevent me from questioning (not trashing) his handling of the Calipari situation.

Saying "the way Sirmons handles business is fine cuz of how high he has work" is inherently fallacious. It's akin to the Euthyphro dilemma of "Is something right because God commanded it, or does God command it because it is right?" It's not wrong to question an official because he's worked multiple Final Fours -- not one of us is above reproach and there is something we can learn from every situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Wanna bet it was Sirmons again?
When you make idiotic statements like this, all it does is make you look like you've got some personal vendetta.

Quote:

mutantducky is that you again?

Ah, the return of the fanboys. I love March.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2016, 12:31am
AremRed

Quote:
When you make idiotic statements like this, all it does is make you look like you've got some personal vendetta.
As I said, I don't. My comment was tongue-in-cheek, although I should have included an emoji to make that more clear.

I have Sirmons' phone number, do you want me to call him up and apologize?
Old Wed Mar 09, 2016, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Anyone causing a disturbance or disrupting those involved in the game should be removed.
Quote:
I don't know where you got the idea that the official went and removed the radio guy. Watch the video. He clearly reported to someone behind the scorer what he did and instructed that person or persons to remove him.
I was only able to read the article at the time of my prior post but I'm still not in favor of telling GM to kick him out unless he's cursing out me, my partners or team members. If GM gets in contact with the appropriate folks connected to the broadcast I guarantee it stops.

Quote:
Lastly, I don't give a darn how much he is being paid or others paid for him to be there. If he behaves poorly, he leaves and they can find a replacement or lose out on their bad investment.
That's good because we shouldn't. Our job is to officiate the game. However, someone is paying for that media coverage and whatever that company may feel about the guy's behavior its representatives aren't going to like it when the air goes dead or when someone else's voice is on their station. It's the reality of broadcasting an event. It's a conference tournament game which means there will be a conference media representative available to handle things along with a producer for the radio station. Frankly, the conference person probably would've had more clout.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)