The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 09, 2016, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
That's good because we shouldn't. Our job is to officiate the game. However, someone is paying for that media coverage and whatever that company may feel about the guy's behavior its representatives aren't going to like it when the air goes dead or when someone else's voice is on their station. It's the reality of broadcasting an event. It's a conference tournament game which means there will be a conference media representative available to handle things along with a producer for the radio station. Frankly, the conference person probably would've had more clout.
The part of this post that's irrelevant. By this logic, we shouldn't have the authority to dismiss anyone. Fans pay for tickets, are you going to say that we can't kick them out?

It's really simple. Say whatever you want on the air, but throw your hands up and you're asking for it. Sorry, but you don't get to act however you want on press row like fans do. (Just for the record, I have no problem with GM allowing him to return to the broadcast after a brief "time-out.")
Old Wed Mar 09, 2016, 10:45am
Stubborn Member

Why should we, as officials, care about what that radio station has paid to broadcast that game? It's not my job to ensure their ability to make money.

If somebody is causing a disturbance then it has to be dealt with. If the station has a problem with that then they need to look at the guy that got removed from the table... not the official or administrator that removed him.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2016, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
Why should we, as officials, care about what that radio station has paid to broadcast that game? It's not my job to ensure their ability to make money.

If somebody is causing a disturbance then it has to be dealt with. If the station has a problem with that then they need to look at the guy that got removed from the table... not the official or administrator that removed him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post
The part of this post that's irrelevant. By this logic, we shouldn't have the authority to dismiss anyone. Fans pay for tickets, are you going to say that we can't kick them out?

It's really simple. Say whatever you want on the air, but throw your hands up and you're asking for it. Sorry, but you don't get to act however you want on press row like fans do. (Just for the record, I have no problem with GM allowing him to return to the broadcast after a brief "time-out.")

Did I say what a radio station has paid should matter? I'm saying they paid the person so it's up to them ultimately to deal with him/her unless said person is threatening someone.

By the way, there's a link on the page below that has the radio audio from the broadcast. Listening to it in combination with the video really makes it seem as though this was much ado about nothing.

Audio Surfaces Of Pat Adams Ejecting Green Bay Radio Guy | Nation Of Blue

I've never "waved off an official" while broadcasting a basketball (or hockey) game on radio or the internet but, as the broadcaster says in the clip, I *do* move my hands as I try to describe things (yes, even on radio because you forget you can't be seen). The guy was sitting at a table behind the scorer's table. No one in the gym - including the people at the media table - seems to have an idea why the official is upset. To me, that says it wasn't as much of a "distraction" as some might believe.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)