The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 29, 2016, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Cheap Shots from Coaches when game is "in hand"

I was working a Boys JV game Friday afternoon.

With under a minute to play and the visitors leading by 12, the home coach dumps his bench into the game. Visitors have the ball and take a shot with about 30 seconds left. Shot is missed and B23 from the home team commits a foul on the rebound, sending A12 to the line for 2 shots as this was the 10th team foul against the home team. Visitors had 1 team foul in the 2nd half.

As we are shooting free throws, with about 25 seconds left, Home coach is standing behind me chirping. He makes to comments, the first being, "Hey, do you think we can get one more foul against (VISITORS) to try and even things up just a little bit." He follows it up with something similar. I ignored them both. After the second FT as we're headed the other way, he says, "I don't think I'm asking too much, after all, we are in (HOMETOWN)."

WHACK!!

Can anyone explain to me why it is that coaches think that just because the game is in hand, they get to start taking cheap shots at us? I hated to even give him the satisfaction of calling the T, but I also think that coaches, especially at the JV level, need to learn to shut their mouths and take their lumps when their team has just been outplayed.

THoughts?
Old Mon Feb 29, 2016, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
I
THoughts?
the general advice has often been to "answer questions; ignore statements."

Sometimes though, statements need to be addressed (before they rise to the level of a T).
Old Mon Feb 29, 2016, 02:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Because some officials don't want to call the T in that spot. he's probably gotten away with it before.
Old Mon Feb 29, 2016, 02:22pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

With under a minute to play and the visitors leading by 12, the home coach dumps his bench into the game. Visitors have the ball and take a shot with about 30 seconds left. Shot is missed and B23 from the home team commits a foul on the rebound, sending A12 to the line for 2 shots as this was the 10th team foul against the home team. Visitors had 1 team foul in the 2nd half.

As we are shooting free throws, with about 25 seconds left, Home coach is standing behind me chirping. He makes to comments, the first being, "Hey, do you think we can get one more foul against (VISITORS) to try and even things up just a little bit." He follows it up with something similar. I ignored them both. After the second FT as we're headed the other way, he says, "I don't think I'm asking too much, after all, we are in (HOMETOWN)."

WHACK!!

Can anyone explain to me why it is that coaches think that just because the game is in hand, they get to start taking cheap shots at us? I hated to even give him the satisfaction of calling the T, but I also think that coaches, especially at the JV level, need to learn to shut their mouths and take their lumps when their team has just been outplayed.

THoughts?
My thought?

Good. For. You.
Old Mon Feb 29, 2016, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
My thought?

Good. For. You.
This. Great T. You were patient, but didn't let him cross the line.
Old Mon Feb 29, 2016, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was working a Boys JV game Friday .

THoughts?
"You can't fix stupid."
Ron White

Old Mon Feb 29, 2016, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Good T.

Based on his tone and such I may have said something in response to his 1st/2nd statement. Also depends what was said in pregame. State playoffs are going on, and you never know what you're going to get from coaches. I go ahead and let coaches know before the game what my expectations are. Have yet to meet one dumb enough to pull this crap.

Upgrading good to great.
Old Mon Feb 29, 2016, 03:14pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

THoughts?
Have you considered asking this question in the coach's forum?
Old Mon Feb 29, 2016, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

THoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
"You can't fix stupid."
Ron White

DOH!!! Point taken!!
Old Mon Feb 29, 2016, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Have you considered asking this question in the coach's forum?
Direct me to it and I'll do so.