The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 26, 2016, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Last Game of the Season

Last night was my last game of the season, the Florida 4A State Final. After taking 16 years off from officiating, it was very rewarding to return to State after only two seasons back. This forum has been a valuable resource for me. I want to express my gratitude to the forum members for helping me to relearn much of what I had long forgotten.

In case anyone is interested in viewing a portion of the first quarter, here is the video. Constructive comments and critique are welcomed.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/oMqLe4xzdtc

(first time posting video...I hope this works!)

Last edited by griblets; Fri Feb 26, 2016 at 09:51am.
Old Fri Feb 26, 2016, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Folks to embed a video from youtube copy the code in the image above and paste it into your forum post.
Old Fri Feb 26, 2016, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Congrats on the finish to your season!

I don't know which official you are. Your crew must have done a good pregame. After the PC foul call (CC - IMO) at the end of the clip, the calling official went right to the table to report and started the "long" switch.
Old Fri Feb 26, 2016, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Agreed -- congrats on the strong finish.

Two observations: Seemed like a lot of empty seats for a state final, at least near the court. Couldn't see how big the arena was. Just seems curious.

And was that last call at the end of the clip a PC or TC?
Old Fri Feb 26, 2016, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Couple observations.....

I noticed twice on the far end that the lead ran across the paint twice to get ball side. If you close down properly to lane line you wont have to run across the paint like the crew did.....

I noticed that the white official on the end closer to guy with video camera as lead rotated as a kid was launching a three.... if you are L and a kid catches a
ball outside of arc wide open,the shot is going up. You are rotating as he is in act of shooting. This throws off court coverage for T and C....

Finally....the lead has a play on this end where the kid rides out the taller rebounder. Hold your whistle a second longer and that play becomes a try ( 2 ft throws ) as the big gets the rebound. Yes you have a foul but if the big can play through the initial ride out give him a shooting foul.....
Old Fri Feb 26, 2016, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
Couple observations.....

I noticed twice on the far end that the lead ran across the paint twice to get ball side. If you close down properly to lane line you wont have to run across the paint like the crew did.....

I noticed that the white official on the end closer to guy with video camera as lead rotated as a kid was launching a three.... if you are L and a kid catches a
ball outside of arc wide open,the shot is going up. You are rotating as he is in act of shooting. This throws off court coverage for T and C....

Finally....the lead has a play on this end where the kid rides out the taller rebounder. Hold your whistle a second longer and that play becomes a try ( 2 ft throws ) as the big gets the rebound. Yes you have a foul but if the big can play through the initial ride out give him a shooting foul.....
Why would you not want to go ball side as lead...?

Rotating is fine, just pre-game if you're going to finish or not on a shot. I've never been on a crew that finishes. Just go back if it keeps the crew in good position.

Why are you penalizing defense giving phantom FTs?
Old Fri Feb 26, 2016, 01:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
Why would you not want to go ball side as lead...?

Rotating is fine, just pre-game if you're going to finish or not on a shot. I've never been on a crew that finishes. Just go back if it keeps the crew in good position.

Why are you penalizing defense giving phantom FTs?
Where did he say he doesn't want to go ball side?

Everyone I've ever heard has said if a shot is imminent, hold off a second. This is how rotations get missed. Not a huge deal, but easily avoided sometimes.
Old Fri Feb 26, 2016, 01:03pm
Official & Member

I watched the whole game. Overall, nice job. Congrats on getting to Lakeland. BTW...my association initially was assigned to that game. One of the teams in that final was from our area, so they were re-assigned...not sure which game they ended up on.
Old Fri Feb 26, 2016, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Where did he say he doesn't want to go ball side?

Everyone I've ever heard has said if a shot is imminent, hold off a second. This is how rotations get missed. Not a huge deal, but easily avoided sometimes.

Didn't fully understand what this meant.
Old Fri Feb 26, 2016, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
I watched the whole game. Overall, nice job. Congrats on getting to Lakeland. BTW...my association initially was assigned to that game. One of the teams in that final was from our area, so they were re-assigned...not sure which game they ended up on.
They were reassigned to the 3A game, which is the game we were originally assigned.
Old Fri Feb 26, 2016, 01:17pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post

Didn't fully understand what this meant.
You never rotate from a wide angle position -- you only rotate from a close down position. If you mirror the ball properly, this is never an issue.
Old Fri Feb 26, 2016, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
You never rotate from a wide angle position -- you only rotate from a close down position. If you mirror the ball properly, this is never an issue.
Oh, thanks!
Old Fri Feb 26, 2016, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

I have my final game of the interscholastic season later this afternoon--its a district playoff game-- and I'm going out with a "bang".
Old Sat Feb 27, 2016, 01:08am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
Disagree. The foul is clearly on the rebound and IMO is not one you can let go and see what happens.
Old Sat Feb 27, 2016, 01:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Disagree. The foul is clearly on the rebound and IMO is not one you can let go and see what happens.
Sure you can.....I agree it is a foul but if the big can get the rebound as he is getting ridden out, then give him a shooting foul. If he doesn't get the rebound because he is pushed out, then pop your whistle. This is why the so the NBA officials are SO far ahead of everybody....at the hs and lower college levels everybody wants that foul as soon as the defender starts to ride him out....let play begin develop and finish !!!!!