The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 27, 2016, 09:25am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by griblets View Post
Last night was my last game of the season, the Florida 4A State Final. After taking 16 years off from officiating, it was very rewarding to return to State after only two seasons back. This forum has been a valuable resource for me. I want to express my gratitude to the forum members for helping me to relearn much of what I had long forgotten.

In case anyone is interested in viewing a portion of the first quarter, here is the video. Constructive comments and critique are welcomed.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/oMqLe4xzdtc

(first time posting video...I hope this works!)

Griblets:

Do you know Torch from Merritt Island, FL?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Feb 27, 2016, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
Why would you not want to go ball side as lead...?

I respectfully disagree with this mentality. I want to go ball side if the clues are present, i.e. there's a post matchup present or anticipated, or if a wing/corner play is setting up opposite me. Short of that, the crew is better off moving less, which helps us see plays develop better. If the C can handle the workload, let him have it while L focuses on secondary defenders.

Another thing is that the longer the basketball officiating community has been doing 3p, the better we've been getting at understanding secondary coverages (curl plays, frontside open looks, etc.). Again, less movement is better than more for a crew well-versed in secondary coverage.

I'm not saying don't rotate. I'm saying do so with a purpose. It's not about lead being ball side so much as it is the crew as a whole being in the best position to maximize primary and secondary coverage views. Sometimes that means not rotating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sat Feb 27, 2016, 10:19am
Get away from me, Steve.

To his day, most crews I see rotate too little, not too much.
Old Sat Feb 27, 2016, 10:59am
Get away from me, Steve.

3:16 on the video, I would've put him on the line. Appears the lead didn't.

However, on the rebounding foul referenced earlier in the thread, there's no way in hell that can be put on the shot. The foul was for displacing the rebounder well before the ball entered the picture.
Old Sat Feb 27, 2016, 08:37pm
Courageous When Prudent

I work for guys who prefer what cc55 is talking about. In my game yesterday I aborted more rotations than I actually made. But I do pinch the paint often

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Raymond; Sat Feb 27, 2016 at 08:39pm.
Old Sat Feb 27, 2016, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
3:16 on the video, I would've put him on the line. Appears the lead didn't.

However, on the rebounding foul referenced earlier in the thread, there's no way in hell that can be put on the shot. The foul was for displacing the rebounder well before the ball entered the picture.
Agree with your calls on both. Not sure if the lead did or did not since the video had a cut shortly after the foul. I suppose we could assume the action after the cut was immediately after the throwin for that foul but we can't be sure with no clock in the picture.
Old Mon Feb 29, 2016, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Griblets:

Do you know Torch from Merritt Island, FL?

MTD, Sr.
Yes, I saw and spoke with him for the first time in 18 years before my game Thursday.

I assume you know him, too?
Old Mon Feb 29, 2016, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
I respectfully disagree with this mentality. I want to go ball side if the clues are present, i.e. there's a post matchup present or anticipated, or if a wing/corner play is setting up opposite me. Short of that, the crew is better off moving less, which helps us see plays develop better. If the C can handle the workload, let him have it while L focuses on secondary defenders.

Another thing is that the longer the basketball officiating community has been doing 3p, the better we've been getting at understanding secondary coverages (curl plays, frontside open looks, etc.). Again, less movement is better than more for a crew well-versed in secondary coverage.

I'm not saying don't rotate. I'm saying do so with a purpose. It's not about lead being ball side so much as it is the crew as a whole being in the best position to maximize primary and secondary coverage views. Sometimes that means not rotating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What mentality? I asked a question and you gave a good answer. As far as moving more/less, it probably depends on the person. Although, when I think about this it's more of correctly/incorrectly moving/not moving.