The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 24, 2016, 04:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Only Three Subjects, Huntin', Gruntin', And Cave Painting ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
They would never call their teachers or coaches by first name, so why us?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Yes, they do.
Many (not all) coaches at the high school that my kids attended, and participated in several sports, had their players address them by, "Coach Firstname", i.e., "Coach Bob". It was never just, "Firstname", it was always preceded by, "Coach". No way it would be like that when I went to high school back the mid twentieth century.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Feb 24, 2016 at 04:43pm.
Old Wed Feb 24, 2016, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
My kids know better than to address an adult by their first name, unless they put Mr. or Miss in front of it. My 41 year-old wife addresses elders in the same manner.

It just the way some people were raised, and continue to be raised. There is nothing wrong with it. I have never heard a HS or college player address their coach by first name, it always "Coach", or "Coach So-n-so".

And it is definitely not acceptable around here for students to address teachers by their first names. A young man who graduated with my older son is now a substitute teacher at my younger son's school. My son wanted to show off one day when I was there and said "Hey FirstName" when the man happened to walk into the office. I made it perfectly clear that when they are on school grounds he will be addressed as "Mr. Evans".
I guess what is acceptable varies in different parts of the country and varies among families. To each his own.

I don't take myself that seriously to where I need to be addressed as Mr. I do agree that teachers and coaches should be referred to as Mr. or Coach. As a referee I don't care. I also don't care in every day life if I am addressed as Mr.
Old Wed Feb 24, 2016, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
Petty. True respect isn't in a name.

Go to a school these days, many of the teachers now having kids calling them by their first name. Guess which teachers have obviously more respect from their classroom?

While once upon a time, it was a social thing to address people by their last names. Heck, friends did it to each other all the time. It's been antiquated. Now, often, older people are just pegged as being on a power trip. It has very little with people showing others' respect, nowadays.
I have to agree, but to each his own.
Old Wed Feb 24, 2016, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Are you trying to tell me what's going on in the schools that I'm inside of every year? Are you that arrogant to tell me what's going on where I live?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
I think it varies depending on where you live. I doubt anybody has any doubt as to what you are seeing on a day to day basis.

I know where I live it's different.
Old Wed Feb 24, 2016, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do not respond to people that I feel are being disrespectful. I come from an age and honestly a culture where that is not OK. If that bothers you, that is not my problem. And we are not even talking about a situation that is a social setting where there might be modifications to that. I work in my business and I call people by their last name unless they are very specifically giving me permission to call them by their first name. If they are of a certain age that still is hard for me to do because that is what I taught to show respect.

Peace
I'm not bothered by it. I just find it hard to believe that you or anybody else feels like they are being disrespected when someone calls them by their first name. We, you and I both included, are not that important.

So if a child that hasn't learned what you deem to be "respect" and calls you by your first name, how do you react? I just don't see it as that big of a deal. None of us are that important and I don't need the ego boost.
Old Wed Feb 24, 2016, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Although in pre-game conf with team captains and coaches, I have introduced the crew by first names---during the game coaches and players have always called me "ref".
I'd be surprised if they even rem'berd my first name--let alone if they remembered anything at all that I told them in our 10 second pre-game conf.
Old Wed Feb 24, 2016, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
Although in pre-game conf with team captains and coaches, I have introduced the crew by first names---during the game coaches and players have always called me "ref".
I'd be surprised if they even rem'berd my first name--let alone if they remembered anything at all that I told them in our 10 second pre-game conf.
+1. Coaches will address me by my first name, players have no clue really.
Old Wed Feb 24, 2016, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
Petty. True respect isn't in a name.

Go to a school these days, many of the teachers now having kids calling them by their first name. Guess which teachers have obviously more respect from their classroom?

While once upon a time, it was a social thing to address people by their last names. Heck, friends did it to each other all the time. It's been antiquated. Now, often, older people are just pegged as being on a power trip. It has very little with people showing others' respect, nowadays.
I would not...in a million, billion years (EVER) call someone petty who tried to teach their kids respect/discipline. Take a trip to your local courthouse. Excessive respect/discipline is not the problem.
Old Wed Feb 24, 2016, 05:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Referee View Post
I'm not bothered by it. I just find it hard to believe that you or anybody else feels like they are being disrespected when someone calls them by their first name. We, you and I both included, are not that important.

So if a child that hasn't learned what you deem to be "respect" and calls you by your first name, how do you react? I just don't see it as that big of a deal. None of us are that important and I don't need the ego boost.
I did not say anything about disrespected, I said it is disrespectful. There is kind of a difference and one that fits my values. I do not put children on the same level as adults. Just like when I was in school I called the professors, "Professor Johnson" as opposed to "Robert" who I might have known them by their first name because in some cases I knew them personally because of what my mom did. I always showed them respect for their position and did not cross that line.

Again, if you want to go around letting kids call you by your first name, go ahead. But as someone said I really do not have to think about these issues because it appears that other seem to feel the same way and do not call adults by their first names where I officiate. But again we have a lot of parents and adults that think they need to be the "friends" of children. But that is a bigger issue than this one we are discussing now.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 24, 2016, 05:20pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Yup, my instincts were right. Same posts, different month.
Closed Thread