View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 24, 2016, 05:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Referee View Post
I'm not bothered by it. I just find it hard to believe that you or anybody else feels like they are being disrespected when someone calls them by their first name. We, you and I both included, are not that important.

So if a child that hasn't learned what you deem to be "respect" and calls you by your first name, how do you react? I just don't see it as that big of a deal. None of us are that important and I don't need the ego boost.
I did not say anything about disrespected, I said it is disrespectful. There is kind of a difference and one that fits my values. I do not put children on the same level as adults. Just like when I was in school I called the professors, "Professor Johnson" as opposed to "Robert" who I might have known them by their first name because in some cases I knew them personally because of what my mom did. I always showed them respect for their position and did not cross that line.

Again, if you want to go around letting kids call you by your first name, go ahead. But as someone said I really do not have to think about these issues because it appears that other seem to feel the same way and do not call adults by their first names where I officiate. But again we have a lot of parents and adults that think they need to be the "friends" of children. But that is a bigger issue than this one we are discussing now.

Peace