The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 22, 2016, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It is not so much about the rule as it is about what are you going to get crap about and scrutinized.
Absolutely! I had a fairly senior official tell me this point blank this season. I called a travel on a play where the "traveler" got hammered after he left the floor (not enough to be flagrant or anything, just a hard foul), I came out with my travel and his coach came unglued. In the locker room my partner said I should have called the foul just because it would have kept me out of "trouble". I also think this is why you get as many 'looks funny' travels because its just easier to go ahead and call those than to explain why it wasn't.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2016, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
Absolutely! I had a fairly senior official tell me this point blank this season. I called a travel on a play where the "traveler" got hammered after he left the floor (not enough to be flagrant or anything, just a hard foul), I came out with my travel and his coach came unglued. In the locker room my partner said I should have called the foul just because it would have kept me out of "trouble". I also think this is why you get as many 'looks funny' travels because its just easier to go ahead and call those than to explain why it wasn't.
What does this mean?

If the travel happened first I'll call it. If the travel happened after a foul I'll call the foul. I don't know what "trouble" is but I don't think you should buy into it.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2016, 04:14pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I think this is the default call for many officials and if we look at the mentality of most people in the game (not officials) they think any call like this should be on the defender.

I also think that he probably was not "refereeing the defense" and the contact blew up on him and he called what he knew and called a block. I do not think the rule has much to do with this call. I think he called what was "safe" and calling a charge in this situation usually brings more scrutiny.

And if you listen to a few of the videos I posted recently, Jay Bilas feels the exact same way about most of these plays. That is why when I call a block on any play like this, I hear the same rhetoric about what the defender did not do. It is not so much about the rule as it is about what are you going to get crap about and scrutinized.

Peace
In this official's defense...full speed, transition, close-up floor level view...he made a split second decision. I don't think it's a default position to call block here. Quite possibly he didn't think defender was legal (again at full speed in real time). I can live with this one...hardly what I'd consider a "bad" call.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2016, 04:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
In this official's defense...full speed, transition, close-up floor level view...he made a split second decision. I don't think it's a default position to call block here. Quite possibly he didn't think defender was legal (again at full speed in real time). I can live with this one...hardly what I'd consider a "bad" call.
I do not dispute any of this. This is not always an easy play. I just think that this more than likely blew up on him rather than him ignoring the rule or not knowing the rule as suggested by someone else.

I am sure I have messed up this call too in some situations. Calling this while running fast is not always the best way to get these calls right.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 22, 2016, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
I see his left arm start to come out as he heads to the table (but then the camera cuts away) -- maybe he had the defender in the arc. (I only watched it once, and I was multi-tasking, so ...)
Old Tue Feb 23, 2016, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Duke @ Louisville Transition Block Called by Lead

In the defense of the official the contact made on the lower body is made and the defenders legs are extended outside is shoulders, which would be his plane of verticality. I only caught it in slow motion of the replay. Just nitpicking at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Tue Feb 23, 2016, 12:03pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunz722 View Post
In the defense of the official the contact made on the lower body is made and the defenders legs are extended outside is shoulders, which would be his plane of verticality. I only caught it in slow motion of the replay. Just nitpicking at this point.

I think once you get to this point, you're looking for a reason to call a block.

I'd rather not do that. Playing defense is hard enough and I don't expect perfection.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2016, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I think once you get to this point, you're looking for a reason to call a block.

I'd rather not do that. Playing defense is hard enough and I don't expect perfection.

Agreed like I said just nitpicking.

Old Wed Feb 24, 2016, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunz722 View Post

That the defender's legs are extended outside his shoulders, is only a factor if the contact is on the legs, outside of his shoulders. The contact in this play was not of that nature.