The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 12, 2015, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

NC State/Duke Transition Block/Charge (Video)

At 16:13 in the first half, Bryan Kersey calls a block against NC State that looked like an easy PC on replay. Then, the defender hopped up and started jumping around in disbelief. Would anyone T for that reaction?
Old Thu Mar 12, 2015, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Jay Bilas' response to the monitor review: "That's just incidental contact, that's just a common foul."

Ummmm...no, Jay, those are mutually exclusive terms.
Old Thu Mar 12, 2015, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post
At 16:13 in the first half, Bryan Kersey calls a block against NC State that looked like an easy PC on replay. Then, the defender hopped up and started jumping around in disbelief. Would anyone T for that reaction?
I saw the play live, and I thought the same (PC). The replay didn't change my mind based on the angle of it. I don't think that the player's reaction warranted a T, plus the off official (Roger Ayers) did a great job of preventative officiating with the player.
Old Fri Mar 13, 2015, 06:32am
Official Forum Member

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Mar 13, 2015, 06:41am
Official Forum Member

Looks like a PC at both speeds.

Not to be that guy but there is also a bunch of questionable footwork by the ball carrier throughout. IMO Slow motion replay review by official after the game will show he allowed the player to travel into a PC and called block on the defender.

In terms of the player reaction I didn't see anything T worthy there. He can jump up, he can run wherever he wants. Unless he says something we aren't privy too nothign there. Not even sure why the other official ties to involve in the play.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Fri Mar 13, 2015, 07:15am
Courageous When Prudent

A1 travels before and after his dribble. I have PC. Nothing close to a T.
Old Fri Mar 13, 2015, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Agreed. I'm kind of surprised that is even a question.

An initial, emotional reaction gets some "extra rope" before it's a T. Yes, you can still go too far, but this play didn't reach that.
Old Fri Mar 13, 2015, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Both travels are there if you examine the play in slo-mo with a microscope. The first is because the player catches the ball with his right hand while his right foot is on the floor and tosses the ball to his left hand while stepping with his left foot and then picks up his right foot before releasing the ball on the dribble with his left hand. The second is because he catches the ball with both feet off the floor, lands on his left foot and jumps, coming down on both feet nearly simultaneously, but actually right-left, if you look closely.
I don't see either travel at full speed in transition.

The defender reaches his spot before the offense player becomes airborne, so I have a solid PC foul.
Old Fri Mar 13, 2015, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Not even close to a block.

And I wouldn't T for that. If he throws his hands up in the air with that "WTF" look on his face, then it's a different story. Roger Ayers used good preventive officiating there.
Old Fri Mar 13, 2015, 08:50am
Do not give a damn!!

PC foul all the way. That was not even hard.

Peace
Old Fri Mar 13, 2015, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Is this one of those NCAA "upward motion" blocks? In NFHS that is a run of the mill PC, but this defender takes that last step after the offensive player has started his upward motion.
Old Fri Mar 13, 2015, 09:09am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
Is this one of those NCAA "upward motion" blocks? In NFHS that is a run of the mill PC, but this defender takes that last step after the offensive player has started his upward motion.
There is no longer "upward motion" in NCAA rules. That was changed this year.

Peace
Old Fri Mar 13, 2015, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's a good observation from the "cheap seats" but if you're on the floor transitioning from T to L on a fastbreak, the defender was the big focus of attention not the ball handler.

Without a wide look, the new L has to decide who to officiate and he chose the defender on a fastbreak; no fault there IMO.
Old Fri Mar 13, 2015, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
There is no longer "upward motion" in NCAA rules. That was changed this year.

Peace
Agree....this is one of those, on the run and and can't see that the defender had LGP kinds of blocks....or one of those officials that call blocks anyway because he doesn't like calling charges kinds of blocks.
Old Fri Mar 13, 2015, 12:26pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoopref View Post
It's a good observation from the "cheap seats" but if you're on the floor transitioning from T to L on a fastbreak, the defender was the big focus of attention not the ball handler.

Without a wide look, the new L has to decide who to officiate and he chose the defender on a fastbreak; no fault there IMO.
Those "cheap seats" are the only view I had of this play ; just reporting what I observed. The first travel I had to confirmed by slow motion replay, the 2nd one was clear to me in real time.

I was watching a video of my last D3 game this season and we had a player take 4 steps (and I mean 1, 2, 3, 4 towards the basket) and we (meaning I was one of the 2 officials who should have picked it up) missed it completely.

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Mar 13, 2015 at 12:37pm.