The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 21, 2016, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Bad Timing Of Events

Had a leg injury and so was able to sit and watch my crew with a sub for me. C is coming down table-side and calls a travel on B1. B coach leaps up with words to the effect of that's a block and he's crazy. All at the same instant T was running up to C to say that his look clearly showed a block on A1. The call was over-turned,but the T had already been given. Coach is usually the quiet type,but just a bad chain of events for him I guess.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2016, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Ref View Post
Had a leg injury and so was able to sit and watch my crew with a sub for me. C is coming down table-side and calls a travel on B1. B coach leaps up with words to the effect of that's a block and he's crazy. All at the same instant T was running up to C to say that his look clearly showed a block on A1. The call was over-turned,but the T had already been given. Coach is usually the quiet type,but just a bad chain of events for him I guess.
Am I correctly reading this to say that the T came in and overruled a travel call to change it to a block???? If they double whistled, and the T had definite knowledge that the block happened first OK, but that is the ONLY way that this should fly. If this is your crew, I might be looking for a new member after that.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2016, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Yes,I failed to mention the 2 whistles.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2016, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Then that is fine.

Both officials saw an infraction and blew the whistle for the one they saw. The first to have actually occurred is what should be called. A discussion is the only way that happens. And, it isn't one official overruling another, neither was saying that the other infraction didn't occur.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2016, 04:50pm
Stubborn Member

I think I read that a tech was given to the coach. If so... Good. Being right does not excuse anybody from being an ass.

Unless the word "you're" is followed up with "a great official" then chances are he's being t'd up.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Old Sun Feb 21, 2016, 07:39pm
Courageous When Prudent

This is why coaches need to quit with these undisciplined reactions to plays and calls.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2016, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

The problem is that the official signaled for a travel instead of recognizing his partner's whistle first. If he looks and sees his partner with a fist up, he knows that they need to talk before announcing a call. That would prevent the row with the coach. Simple mechanics and partner awareness.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Mon Feb 22, 2016 at 11:48am.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2016, 10:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Communication ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
If he looks and sees his partner with a fist up, he knows that they need to talk before announcing a call ... Simple mechanics and partner awareness.
Fist and open hand. Let's talk. Basketball Officiating 101.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Feb 22, 2016, 10:21am
Get away from me, Steve.

And a good coach would see the fist vs. open hand.

Frankly, this should all be settled with a quick, "the travel happened first" or "the foul caused the travel." If the coach wants to continue after that, it's on him.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2016, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
Am I correctly reading this to say that the T came in and overruled a travel call to change it to a block???? If they double whistled, and the T had definite knowledge that the block happened first OK, but that is the ONLY way that this should fly. If this is your crew, I might be looking for a new member after that.
Well said!

Can't say I have ever seen an official change a travel to a block UNLESS there was a double whistle.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2016, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I should have read the entire thread first!

With the 2 whistles, it's ok to overturn the call if there is direct knowledge that the block caused the travel.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2016, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
And a good coach would see the fist vs. open hand.
I dunno -- I'm not sure we necessarily expect a good coach to see both signals and interpret them if the official he's looking at has an open hand and immediately signals travel I don't know it is reasonable to expect the coach to be looking around for the other officials. (Not, of course, that it excuses the coach's behavior.)

This also raises a pet peeve: why does it seem that no TV announcers seem to know the fist/open distinction. They get paid (a lot!) to watch basketball games and it seems routine that they speculate about a call without even noticing the signal (i.e., "he mus be calling a travel" with a fist in the air).
Old Mon Feb 22, 2016, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The problem is that the official signaled for a travel instead of recognizing his partner's whistle first. If he looks and sees his partner with a fist up, he knows that they need to talk before announcing a call. That would prevent the new with the coach. Simple mechanics and partner awareness.
Great point!!!!!

I am deliberately slow in everything I do trying to avoid circumstances like that.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2016, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

We normally pregame if we have a double whistle and one is a violation versus a foul, we go with the violation. The only exception is if the foul caused the violation.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2016, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The problem is that the official signaled for a travel instead of recognizing his partner's whistle first. If he looks and sees his partner with a fist up, he knows that they need to talk before announcing a call. That would prevent the new with the coach. Simple mechanics and partner awareness.
Has no one other than me ever not heard a partner's whistle when they make a call?