The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Social Events

I'm wondering what your associations do during the summer months to promote fellowship and socializing among your umpire crews. I'm not talking about cooking dogs at a ballpark during a tournament, or anything related to a game per-se... I'm talking about a separate gathering of umpires that has nothing to do with showing up to call ball. Do you have a bowling event? Meet at the pizza joint for dinner and a beer? Anything?

Looking for some ideas to promote the fun and fellowship of why we gather...

Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

The summer chapter has a dinner in November - spouse & significant others are generally there too. We've done this for a number of years and it's a really good time.

The high school group also has a dinner after that season is over - many of the same folks in each group.

The college groups don't do anything - way too far apart to get together as a whole. But a number of us get together semi-regularly.
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
I'm wondering what your associations do during the summer months to promote fellowship and socializing among your umpire crews. I'm not talking about cooking dogs at a ballpark during a tournament, or anything related to a game per-se... I'm talking about a separate gathering of umpires that has nothing to do with showing up to call ball. Do you have a bowling event? Meet at the pizza joint for dinner and a beer? Anything?

Looking for some ideas to promote the fun and fellowship of why we gather...

We are lucky to get 20 people to attend a regularly scheduled meeting and that include the E-board.

Toward the end of the season, there is a social at the local minor league ball park (KC Royal's "A" team, Blue Rocks) which includes ticket for a seat in the picnic area down the 1B line, early entry, discount to the "pro/gift shop", beer, hot dogs, hamburgers, beer, chicken, chips, beer, soda, cookies, ice cream and beer. Evening ends up with a fireworks display.

Umpire doesn't pay and may purchase up to four additional heavily discounted tickets.

And, believe it or not, cannot get half of our group to show up for that! Some people just want to grab the big bucks and run and that is a damn shame.
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

One of my organizations holds a group outing at a AAA baseball game.
All attendees get a $10 voucher for food at the ballpark and each person can bring guest for a reduced rate. it's a nice time.
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

We have had ASA nights at both the Diamondbacks (baseball) and Coyotes (hockey) games in the last year. Those are open to the entire ASA organization, not just the umpires.

Our assignor has hosted an end of the season party at his home for the last few years. It's usually in mid to late August, after nationals and before the fall season gets going. Swimming, food, soft drinks, some door prizes and awards. He doesn't drink, so its BYOB. Out of over 100 umpires in our area, only about 20-30 show up.
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

I also have a get together at my place at least once a year. It is for my local league umpires, and their families. Swimming and I cook up some dogs and burgers, most actually show up, free food and small town help there....but that is about it. I did have the same type of thing after some fall ball games last fall since there is really no good place for all of us to go eat in my small little town. It was fun, but like you all said it is hard to get everyone together, some officiate other sports, some want their time to themselves after the season, and some care less about the fellowship and that is sad!
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Thoughout the summer, about half of our NFHS umpires meet once a week at our pre-season football rules clinics.
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 02:50am
Official Forum Member

Damn, if we had a major league baseball team in Seattle we could all go to a game.
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 05:20am
Official Forum Member

Our NFHS association does absolutley nothing... thankfully alot of the people who work HS work alot of the local tournements so they can keep skills sharp and keep socializing with fellow umpires. Our PONY UIC has decided to try and hold a few meetings mainly in the winter off season but I hear there is a 3 man clinic comming up for us in the summer.

For all those who don't know ... Ed Hickox is the MAN

NFHS NCAA PONY ASA ISC USSSA
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

My ASA chapter has a dinner in December. It is great fun for everyone involved.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

We have a banquet on the dead weekend before Nationals start. Have a dinner and awards for 1st year, 5 yr, 10 yr 15 yr.... umpires. Usually get 80-100 to show (umpires and one guest). Money to cover costs come from proceeds from our annual umpires tourney the first of the season. We are starting up our Umpire Association anew this year.