Old Sat Feb 20, 2016, 12:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Iona @ Monmonth Plays

Play #1:

Play #2: Another Travel play

Peace
Old Sat Feb 20, 2016, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

First play -- Marginal in my opinion. I felt like as the player in red turned to go up court, he just didn't realize the player in white was that close and it kind of caught him by surprise. Did he extend his arms a little bit, yeah, but not enough to warrant a foul in my opinion. Player in white seemed to take a little exception at first, but even he seemed to move on immediately. I think this could have been left alone.

Second play -- Travel.
Old Sat Feb 20, 2016, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

I'm also good with passing on the first, but if you do have a foul, isn't that a T? Dead ball contact technical.
Old Sat Feb 20, 2016, 12:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
I'm also good with passing on the first, but if you do have a foul, isn't that a T? Dead ball contact technical.
It should be and that is why I showed the play.

These teams also had some history and some kind of altercation in the previous game. I think that might have been why this was ultimately called, but not sure how this is just a regular foul?

Peace
Old Sat Feb 20, 2016, 12:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Easy Call ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
Travel.
Agree. Right foot is pivot foot and it returns to the floor before the ball is released. I actually thought that this was easy to call in real time (and this situation is the hardest for me to call in a game). I'm not blaming anyone, because I've certainly missed these in my high school games, but why did the officials miss it? What were they looking for here, a foul? Maybe, even with three guys, it was difficult to get back in transition and get set to make the correct call? Lead and center looked to be in a pretty good positions. Maybe the center got straightlined by the ball handler, and maybe the lead got straightlined by the defender? White #10 seems to be upset about the no travel call (but he had the worst seat in the house to see this properly).

What's the Pontius Pilate hand signal given by the lead after the play?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Feb 20, 2016 at 01:10pm.
Old Sat Feb 20, 2016, 12:59pm
Stubborn Member

Play 1: Unless, like the announcer referred to, I know of a history and believe letting this go could lead to some type of retaliation and issue... I'm passing.

Play 2: At this angle, and in real speed, I couldn't pick up the pivot foot once the ball was gathered. It looked bad, though, but without knowing I'm passing on this. On replay, though, I saw the right foot was the pivot at the time the ball was gathered from the dribble, then picked up and put back down on the floor before the shot... travel.
Old Sat Feb 20, 2016, 01:05pm
Courageous When Prudent

1) I could definitely see myself calling a T on this. I don't tolerate unnecessary crap in my games. Put a whistle on that and it let's everyone else know that bull---- won't be happening.

2) No commentary needed.
Old Sat Feb 20, 2016, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
1) I could definitely see myself calling a T on this. I don't tolerate unnecessary crap in my games. Put a whistle on that and it let's everyone else know that bull---- won't be happening.

2) No commentary needed.
1. Agree. Collision was OK, the extra chuck after the collision is not.

2. Yep, Travel. Done.
Old Sat Feb 20, 2016, 01:23pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

I think that might have been why this was ultimately called, but not sure how this is just a regular foul?

Peace
If a regular foul is what they went with then it is clearly a mistake. If you are going to call a foul on this play it has to be a contact dead ball technical.
Old Sat Feb 20, 2016, 01:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Not Flagrant ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Agree. Collision was OK, the extra chuck after the collision is not.
JRutledge's question was, "Does this need to be addressed?".

In my high school game, yes, it does need to be addressed.

At the bare minimum, Red #23 needs to be told that his action was definitely not appreciated and that he would be on a very short least the rest of the game.

Most likely, it would be a dead ball contact technical foul. Just two shots, and the ball, not flagrant.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sat Feb 20, 2016, 01:32pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
If a regular foul is what they went with then it is clearly a mistake. If you are going to call a foul on this play it has to be a contact dead ball technical.
Not saying I think this is right, just asking for the hell of it...

Would you say that you believe the ball, after the made basket, was at the disposal of Monmouth when the foul occurred? Meaning Monmouth had team control, therefore it was a live ball when the foul was made.
Old Sat Feb 20, 2016, 01:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
JRutledge's question was, "Does this need to be addressed?".

In my high school game, yes, it does need to be addressed.
I would address this at any level. Either call a foul or stop everything. Actually at the college level this might be a bigger problem. High School kids tend to potentially have more control over them. At a JUCO game for example, this would start a fight. There is a reason plays are at the JUCO level and not the other levels. Usually it is because they are not so bright. At the D1 level, I think players know that everything is on TV and those officials are not to be messed with as a general rule.

Peace
Old Sat Feb 20, 2016, 01:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Live Ball Mistake ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
If you are going to call a foul on this play it has to be a contact dead ball technical.
Maybe the center (who made the foul call), thought that the ball had already been inbounded, or was at the disposal (thus live), he appears to be looking at the two players involved, not the endline.

Old Sat Feb 20, 2016, 01:39pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Levels Of Penalties ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I would address this at any level.
Anytime I post on a college thread, I like to add, "in my high school game", because I know that the penalties may be different in a college game. I know more about rocket science than I do about technical foul "levels" in the college game. I love high school basketball. I love high school basketball officiating. Other than taking in a few Connecticut mens, or womens, basketball games a season, and filling out my brackets every tournament, I'm just not a big college basketball fan. With my busy high school assignment schedule, and my day job (fans are always telling me, "Don't quit your day job."), I really don't have the time in the winter to follow college basketball, or pay attention to college basketball rules. But I do like to take advantage of breaking down video, even when it's a video of a college game.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Feb 20, 2016 at 01:48pm.
Old Sat Feb 20, 2016, 01:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Anytime I post on a college thread, I like to add, "in my high school game", because I know that the penalties may be different in a college game. I know more about rocket science than I do about technical foul "levels" in the college game.
The only difference in this area from high school to college is the application of what you do with the ball after you shoot the FTs and on some level who shoots the FTs. All dead ball contact fouls are Ts by definition (at least in NCAA Men).

Peace