The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 18, 2016, 04:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Yep, not wanting to disparage high school officials at all.

Using video of a correct travel call isn't going to help make some sort of point about high school officials calling travels too much.
I am a high school official too. But this idea that high school officials are pure in how they call the game is maddening to me. I am also not sure it was correct, that is why I wanted opinion in the first place.

Once again, the video is just a video that someone posted on another site. I wanted official's opinions as the people talking about this play were not officials.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 18, 2016, 04:53pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I am a high school official too. But this idea that high school officials are pure in how they call the game is maddening to me. I am also not sure it was correct, that is why I wanted opinion in the first place.

Once again, the video is just a video that someone posted on another site. I wanted official's opinions as the people talking about this play were not officials.

Peace
I'd rather miss 9 technical (need video to confirm them) travels than call one that's not there.

Others probably feel differently.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2016, 04:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I'd rather miss 9 technical (need video to confirm them) travels than call one that's not there.

I totally agree with this. I did not think it was a travel when I first saw the video.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 18, 2016, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

100% agreement on this sentiment.

What's your feeling on 3 seconds ?
Old Thu Feb 18, 2016, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The right foot is the pivot. He replants it.

Is A1's right hand on the ball?
Old Thu Feb 18, 2016, 05:41pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
100% agreement on this sentiment.

What's your feeling on 3 seconds ?
I don't avoid making the call just for the sake of not making it if that's what you're asking.

I've probably called it 4-5 times this season, which makes it an average year for me -- it's always one that I've had to get because of the advantage gained by the player being in the lane.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2016, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
I'm not sure anyone has ever said that. I'm sure HS officials get more stuff wrong than college officials (on average). However, with some of the things that are not called in college games that are quite easy to see, you start to wonder what the reason is.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2016, 06:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I'm not sure anyone has ever said that. I'm sure HS officials get more stuff wrong than college officials (on average). However, with some of the things that are not called in college games that are quite easy to see, you start to wonder what the reason is.
It is often implied that college officials pass on travels and high school officials would call this without any issue. And we have a couple of posters that will make that point clear when we show higher level plays.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 18, 2016, 06:12pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
It is often implied that college officials pass on travels and high school officials would call this without any issue.
I'm not implying it, I'm saying it.

The travel in this video is not an example of one that is impossible to overlook, in my opinion.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Feb 18, 2016, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't avoid making the call just for the sake of not making it if that's what you're asking.

I've probably called it 4-5 times this season, which makes it an average year for me -- it's always one that I've had to get because of the advantage gained by the player being in the lane.
I was making a joke. There are some officials that make 3 seconds and travel calls their calling cards.
Old Fri Feb 19, 2016, 12:37am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I was making a joke. There are some officials that make 3 seconds and travel calls their calling cards.
They must, cause I hear coaches and fans screaming it out all the time.
Old Fri Feb 19, 2016, 09:09am
High Five Master

Quote:

Like the first year guy I worked with last night, who has called maybe 20 games, who had probably 20 travel calls in two JH games? And after he kept saying pivot foot this, pivot foot that? Yeah, call the ones that need called but don't be that guy
Old Fri Feb 19, 2016, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
Like the first year guy I worked with last night, who has called maybe 20 games, who had probably 20 travel calls in two JH games? And after he kept saying pivot foot this, pivot foot that? Yeah, call the ones that need called but don't be that guy
Aren't you a fairly new official? You can't really give a first year guy a hard time - let's not forget we were first year officials once and we weren't god's gift to officiating then either. We all have to learn...
Old Fri Feb 19, 2016, 09:41am
High Five Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Aren't you a fairly new official? You can't really give a first year guy a hard time - let's not forget we were first year officials once and we weren't god's gift to officiating then either. We all have to learn...

Yep, in basketball anyway. didn't give him a hard time at all. Just making an example that if that is what you are going to hang your hat on, need to work harder on other things. Especially since about half of them were not travels.

And I never said I'm gods gift. FAR FAR FAR from it. It's why I'm here.
Old Fri Feb 19, 2016, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
Yep, in basketball anyway. didn't give him a hard time at all. Just making an example that if that is what you are going to hang your hat on, need to work harder on other things. Especially since about half of them were not travels.

And I never said I'm gods gift. FAR FAR FAR from it. It's why I'm here.
I didn't mean to imply that you thought you were. It's just hard being a first year basketball official, and many quit after the first year because they are thrown into these chaotic middle school games and left on their own for the most part. In our association this year, they implemented a new set of requirements we all have to meet in order to become eligible to work post-season. One of the requirements are 2 education points. One way to get an education point is for a veteran to work a middle school game with a new official and help them. I think it's a good policy so that more often than not, we have fewer games with 2 first/second year officials thrown to the wolves. Middle school games are the toughest to officiate, in my opinion. The coaches don't know the rules and the play is erratic at best, and the parents are relentless. We are in dire need of officials in this area and we can't afford to keep losing the young ones.