The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 12, 2016, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
This, Dad, was what I was referring to. This play is not called at any level. Pushing off, of course is a PC foul. But just protecting a defender from attacking the ball is never called.
Guess I'm thinking about something else. I've seen it called without it being a push off, it's rare, but some players have "oh s***" moments when they see someone about to block their shot and throw up a hand/forearm to block it.
Old Fri Feb 12, 2016, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And because my books are at work....yes! Day off today!!!!, does anyone have case plays that would have it being called by the letter, just using the arm to prevent a steal attempt?
Just checked, nothing in the Case Book.
Old Fri Feb 12, 2016, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Just checked, nothing in the Case Book.
Sure wish I could read the case book in nine minutes.
Old Fri Feb 12, 2016, 03:27pm
High Five Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
Sure wish I could read the case book in nine minutes.

I'm an idiot. I tried to click on your blue font thinking it was a secret on how to read the casebook. I gotta get a life
Old Fri Feb 12, 2016, 03:32pm
High Five Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
Guess I'm thinking about something else. I've seen it called without it being a push off, it's rare, but some players have "oh s***" moments when they see someone about to block their shot and throw up a hand/forearm to block it.

What I'm talking about is when a dribbler blocks a defender from attacking the ball with their offhand. It is generally very subtle and contact is far from severe and so it's not seen as an advantage. That's why I was wondering if there was any case plays because the rule says nothing about severity or advantage. It simply says it's not allowed. I guess it has happened where a dribbler actually forcefully uses the arm to knock away an attempt to attack the ball but I've never seen it. I'd guess the oh crap moment you note above is prob more prevelant and more likely to be called.
Old Fri Feb 12, 2016, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm an idiot.
Hey now, don't go stealing lines from that that intense fan in the third row with the baseball cap pulled down low on his eyes. (You know, the one who screams for 3 seconds when the offense takes and misses multiple quick shots.)
Old Fri Feb 12, 2016, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post
Hey now, don't go stealing lines from that that intense fan in the third row with the baseball cap pulled down low on his eyes. (You know, the one who screams for 3 seconds when the offense takes and misses multiple quick shots.)
I know. It's frustrating as a parent. Y'all always miss that three second call no matter how much we try to help ya out on it.

The blue may be unnecessary, but as I was about to hit "post," I realized someone would think I was serious and derail this . . . I usually get to sit in the stands and laugh about the screaming on this at least once a game . . .