The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 09, 2016, 09:19pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
This has nothing to do with being a hard ass. The crew chief kicked every rule associated with this situation.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
I was making a general statement about dealing with some situations. I don't believe the rule book allows officials to use the visitor book to prove that it was an error in copying the visiting team's starters into the home/official book. But if a situation like this came up, and I can see the visitor book had the "right" starters, then I'd let it go.

Yes, in the case brought up in the OP, the official messed up.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2016, 09:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
I was making a general statement about dealing with some situations. I don't believe the rule book allows officials to use the visitor book to prove that it was an error in copying the visiting team's starters into the home/official book. But if a situation like this came up, and I can see the visitor book had the "right" starters, then I'd let it go.

Yes, in the case brought up in the OP, the official messed up.
Actually, it does. The coach is only required to provide the information to the official scorer. That's it. 10-1-1

In the OP, the coach provided the correct information, so there should have been no penalty for the scorer to correct his own mistake.

2-11-11 "...A bookkeeping mistake may be corrected at any time until the referee approves the final score...."

This is a bookkeeping mistake and should have been corrected without penalty.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

This is EXACTLY why you should have a coach from each team review the official scorebook (for correct player #'s AND correct starters) and require their initials as evidence of their approval.

This very easily removes the responsibility from the official scorer and game officials of any mistakes being made. Once the coach approves the scorebook, THAT is when the info. has been provided to the official scorer - there is NO POSSIBILITY for scorer error...
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

100% disagree. The coach doesn't really have time to look at the list in detail just before the game -- s/he has more important things to do.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
This is EXACTLY why you should have a coach from each team review the official scorebook (for correct player #'s AND correct starters) and require their initials as evidence of their approval.

This very easily removes the responsibility from the official scorer and game officials of any mistakes being made. Once the coach approves the scorebook, THAT is when the info. has been provided to the official scorer - there is NO POSSIBILITY for scorer error...
False. When the coach hands a roster of all players and marked starters to the official scorers as soon as he gets on the floor 20 minutes before game time, he has done his duty. No need for him to review how it got copied into the scorebook.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 03:42pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Actually, it does. The coach is only required to provide the information to the official scorer. That's it. 10-1-1

In the OP, the coach provided the correct information, so there should have been no penalty for the scorer to correct his own mistake.

2-11-11 "...A bookkeeping mistake may be corrected at any time until the referee approves the final score...."

This is a bookkeeping mistake and should have been corrected without penalty.
So what I laid out is stated in the rule book. I don't recall the rule book saying anything regarding the visitor/unofficial book, let alone it being used to prove the home/official book received a different starting lineup.

Are you just trying to be argumentative with me? I don't get it.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 03:58pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

None of this is right. Do you have a rules book?
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So what I laid out is stated in the rule book. I don't recall the rule book saying anything regarding the visitor/unofficial book, let alone it being used to prove the home/official book received a different starting lineup.

Are you just trying to be argumentative with me? I don't get it.
The official book has to get the names and number from somewhere, they don't just come up with the information from thin air. It most likely came froe the visitor book unless the coach provided the scorer with a different roster.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 04:20pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
The official book has to get the names and number from somewhere, they don't just come up with the information from thin air. It most likely came froe the visitor book unless the coach provided the scorer with a different roster.
"most likely"

Again... Where does the rule book say to use that book as proof of starters?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

You can use whatever source of legal information to make a determination for making a ruling. The official book is the fallback when you can't find anything to the contrary. And the official book can be changed.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Man you guys are over complicating this. If I have an issue like this I ask the home (official, whatever) book, where they got the info from. Then I ask the visiting coach what he provided. If the home book used the visitors scorebook and the coach says "No i gave a piece of paper." and then we find the piece of paper case solved. If the coach says I told them to copy the visitors book and that was where the error was, then it's on the coach.

But I ask the coach what he/she provided and use that as my comparison tool. I don't go assuming anything.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

In my case I pull varsity rosters from MaxPreps and prep from that.When the varsity coaches show up I have them check and verify everything is correct before the officials are even out there.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 05:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
"most likely"

Again... Where does the rule book say to use that book as proof of starters?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
As the scorer, "where did you get your information?"

If the coach, or a representative of the team, filled it out directly, call the T or have him start the marked starters.

If the scorer says he got it from the V book, or from a program given him by the team, check the source document.

You need to do this to determine whether the coach met his obligations under the rule.

Again, per rule, bookkeeping errors can be corrected at any time.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 05:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

At the risk of piling on, this couldn't be more wrong.

There is no provision in the rules that renders the coach responsible for bookkeeping errors just because you had him review the book before the game.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 05:37pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
As the scorer, "where did you get your information?"

If the coach, or a representative of the team, filled it out directly, call the T or have him start the marked starters.

If the scorer says he got it from the V book, or from a program given him by the team, check the source document.

You need to do this to determine whether the coach met his obligations under the rule.

Again, per rule, bookkeeping errors can be corrected at any time.
I know bookkeeping errors can be corrected at any time without penalty. No where did I say otherwise. You read that into my posts. And to be honest, you're not the only one that does that, and it drives me nuts. That same thing is done to others constantly, and not necessarily by you.

All I said... AGAIN... is to go ahead and do what you can to avoid giving that technical. Check the visitor/unofficial book... check the lineup given to them on a piece of paper... whatever. Just make sure it's not a mistake.

There are some people around here that need to read a post without assuming there's something wrong in there. If you have a question about what is said... ask. Don't automatically assume you're dealing with a moron.
Closed Thread