The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 05, 2016, 10:47pm
Stubborn Member

Shooting At Wrong Basket

After a score by Team A, B1 takes the ball out of bounds under the basket and passes it into B2. After dribbling a couple of times, B2 attempts a shot at Team A's basket. The shot does not him the rim, but bounces off the backboard.

Now... if B2 catches the ball I believe we have a double dribble, as this was not a try for goal, and the opponent's hoop is treated like another dribble.

But what if B2 lets the ball hit the floor first, and then grabs the ball? Do we still have a double dribble, or by allowing the ball to hit the floor first is B2 good to dribble again?
Old Fri Feb 05, 2016, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
After a score by Team A, B1 takes the ball out of bounds under the basket and passes it into B2. After dribbling a couple of times, B2 attempts a shot at Team A's basket. The shot does not him the rim, but bounces off the backboard.

Now... if B2 catches the ball I believe we have a double dribble, as this was not a try for goal, and the opponent's hoop is treated like another dribble.

But what if B2 lets the ball hit the floor first, and then grabs the ball? Do we still have a double dribble, or by allowing the ball to hit the floor first is B2 good to dribble again?
If B2 grabs the ball before somebody else it could have bounced 10 times. It becomes double dribble if he touches it before another player.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2016, 11:12pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
If B2 grabs the ball before somebody else it could have bounced 10 times. It becomes double dribble if he touches it before another player.
Is there a rule reference for this?

I mean, the closest I could think of was treating this like a dribble-fumble-dribble, where the "fumble" is the ball bouncing on the court.

And would it be the same if B2 got the pass, shot at the wrong basket, got the rebound out of the air and dribbled? Or got the pass, shot at the wrong basket, let the ball hit the floor, then grabbed it and dribbled?

I briefly tried looking in the Rule and Case books, but didn't see anything.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2016, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I mean, the closest I could think of was treating this like a dribble-fumble-dribble, where the "fumble" is the ball bouncing on the court.

And would it be the same if B2 got the pass, shot at the wrong basket, got the rebound out of the air and dribbled? Or got the pass, shot at the wrong basket, let the ball hit the floor, then grabbed it and dribbled?

4.15.4c
If another player touches the ball first after hitting the board it is a pass under rules. If the player who threw it is first to touch it , it is a dribble.

If the player hasn't dribbled, throws it off of backboard(opponents) if ball is bouncing around he can continue to dribble it. If he touches it w 2 hands the dribble is over. If he then dribbles again, double dribble.

9-5 is the illegal dribble section. Take a look at that.

Last edited by BigCat; Fri Feb 05, 2016 at 11:30pm.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2016, 11:49pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
4.15.4c
If another player touches the ball first after hitting the board it is a pass under rules. If the player who threw it is first to touch it , it is a dribble.

If the player hasn't dribbled, throws it off of backboard(opponents) if ball is bouncing around he can continue to dribble it. If he touches it w 2 hands the dribble is over. If he then dribbles again, double dribble.

9-5 is the illegal dribble section. Take a look at that.
Okay, so throwing it off the opponent's backboard is basically starting a dribble. So if the same person that threw the ball grabs it, the dribble is over... whether the ball hits the floor or goes straight into the player's hands.

I think I'm overthinking this is all. Thanks.
Old Sat Feb 06, 2016, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Okay, so throwing it off the opponent's backboard is basically starting a dribble. So if the same person that threw the ball grabs it, the dribble is over... whether the ball hits the floor or goes straight into the player's hands.

I think I'm overthinking this is all. Thanks.
Yes, it's a dribble if he is the first to touch it after it hits the board. double dribble if he had already dribbled. If he hadn't dribbled prior to throwing it off board, he can hit ball with one hand and continue dribble. If he catches ball at any point before it touched by another player that dribble is over.
Old Sat Feb 06, 2016, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Okay, so throwing it off the opponent's backboard is basically starting a dribble.
There's some statement (I think in 2- Ball Location) to the effect that "a bll touching the backboard is the same as the ball hitting the floor".

So, change your plays. A1 dribbles, picks up the dribble, throws the ball off (the floor), picks up the ball. You'd have no trouble calling that a double-dribble violation, right?

So, yes, you are overthinking this.
Old Sat Feb 06, 2016, 10:08am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

If it bounces on the floor twice, would that be different than if it bounced once?
Old Sun Feb 07, 2016, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

1) Why can a player dribble-fumble-dribble? If that's what hinting at.

2) How could a ball bouncing ever be what decides if it's a fumble or not?
Old Sun Feb 07, 2016, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

a player can fumble-dribble-fumble, they cannot dribble-fumble-dribble.